Posts by Mateo11

Hello.

Can anyone here please school me on better understanding the Studio EQ and methods used to "tighten" up the bass and "sweeping" the Q. I use the Graphic EQ mainly and cut boost freq that way and works great but want to understand the Studio EQ better. I've researched on the net and still come up a little confused. Some specific questions I have are below.

1) I believe the Low Gain Parameter and High Gain Parameter are the low and high shelf correct? When people talk about doing a low cut say -6 are they talking about decreasing the low gain parameter or using the Low Cut parameter on page 4 (next to High Cut and Volume parameter) ?

2) What are the common ways used with Studio EQ to "tighten" bass response or dial out fizzy/harsh high end? Are there general rules of thumb like if you decrease or increse the Low/High gain then you will probably boost or decrease the Low/High Freq parameter?

3) Why are there two seperate Mid gains and Mid Frequencies? I'm guessing here that one of the mids handles the lower freq mids while the other handles the higher end mids but I'm assuming this.

4) What is the Q factor and why is it not available on the low and high gains? I read that turning the Q to the left narrows the focus of the mids while turning right widens the mids but I hear people talking about sweeping the Q for the sweet spot and need some help on this for sure.

5) Does anyone use the Low cut and High Cut parameter and page 4? If so how and why? Are these another option to the low and high gain freq parameters or are they intended to be used in conjunction with these parameters?

6) And finally! Where do you set your volume on the EQ? I find I like using it as a boost in the "X" stomp and set it at +2 - +3. I tend to slap one in the X stomp and one pre EQ in stomp 4. I find using them this way really helps make the profile seem more full/3D'ish.

Also any thoughts on mix level parameter settings (always at 100% or do you tend to decrease this) and if anyone uses the Ducking parameter too would love to hear your thoughts on how you approach and utilize these.

Again I've been having great results using the graphic EQ because I'm used to using them. I had a MXR 10 band EQ for a long time and loved it but I'm really wanting to learn the Studio EQ. I've found when I'm tweaking a profile to my liking I heavily rely on Def, Clarity, Power Sag, Tube shape and bias and the graphic EQ's to really shape and thicken up the sound. I feel I should learn the studio EQ since I rely on using EQ so much.

Thanks for your input! :thumbup:

Thanks Don. My profiler has it named as just "Crunch" you think its the same as "Ancient Rig?" Whatever it is I really really like it so I'm glad something was corrupt in the profiler to make me do those steps which brought it up. Its funny to me that its not a real profile and I like it so much. I thought I was a borderline tube snob too. Ha

I don;t recall ever seeing that profile when I first got me Kemper and I bought it new. Plus I deleted every rig pff the profiler and only put those 45 I bought from Mbritt/Amp Factory and Soundside. Oh well Im definitely not complaining because it is hpnestly one of the best profiles I've played. It has an awesome tone. Can anyone please tell me what kind of amp it is?

Hey everyone.....So I just was turning on my Kemper and was loading Rig Manager up when I got an error message from RM. It said their is a damaged file in Kemper and to shut down Kemper for 10 seconds and hold Browse button for 30 seconds and Kemper would attempt to fix the issue.After it rebooted it went to a profile I did not have on my Kemper. It is a "crunch" profile from author C Kemper. I've never heard or seen it before but it sounds amazingly good. I've been playing it now for like 20-30 minutes and I love it. How did this profile it get on my Kemper because I am very meticulous with profiles I keep on their and I only had 45 profiles total all from MBritt / Amp Factory & Soundside. Any ideas how this happened? Just curious if its some kind of default profile when running system scan...has anyone seen this?

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm definitely enjoying the monitors more than the wedge I was using. I swear I hear way more character of the amp profile than I did with my wedge. Having the stereo effect of two speakers is definitely an added bonus.

Ingolf- It's funny you mention the HS80's because I've been looking at those. I like the idea of an 8 inch speaker over the M1's 6.5. On a side note man I read this forum a lot and you are always very helpful. Many questions I've had that I researched through this forum you seem to always be the one with some of the best input/answers. You and MeamBobbo and many others here deserve many thanks for taking the time to help.

Hello!

Today I unplugged my Kemper from my active monitor (wedge) and hooked it up to some old studio monitors I have to see how it would sound. I actually liked the sound much better from the studio monitors. The monitors I have are nothing special I bought them used years ago and used them mainly for listening to music from my computer. The studio monitors I have are Alesis M1 Active 620's (link http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-M…620-Powered/dp/B000H8XW1E).

Are these ideal for use with the Kemper or would the Kemper sound and perform better if I bought better ones? The reason I ask is these studio monitors have mid range, treble and bass controls so I assume this is not a FRFR type of speaker you should use with the Kemper.

Call me crazy but for whatever reason the studio monitors seem to bring out much more detail and character of the actual amp that is profiled. With my wedge a lot of the profiles sounded very similiar. I know that it doesn't make sense but it was enough for me to decide to sell my wedge.

I'm not opposed to buying better studio monitors if you guys feel it would be worth it? If you think the difference in sound would be negligible please let me know. Appreciate your input!!

He is doing smaller 10$ "Mini" Packs now. I helped with the Driftwood Nightmare.

The Driftwood nightmare sounded killer! I plan on getting that too definitely. My main thing was in each of his packs he's done previously there were one or two profiles I wanted out of each pack. I thought it would be nice if they were offered up individually as well instead of purchasing the entire pack. The same way The Amp Factory offers theirs for sale either as a pack or you can buy each individual profile. I think that's a nice option to offer.

For me personally I would rather a'la carte each profile myself to create my own pack.

I'm looking forward to more of his mini packs but thought it would be cool if he offered that option on his previous profiles.

BTW nice work on helping with the Driftwood! I never really heard of that amp before and it sounds great.

Michael, that would be awesome! To have a live forum and answer questions would be great. I feel my wallet getting lighter with all the 69 Marshall talk on here :)

You won't be disappointed on the 69 Marshall! It's Stellar. It's only $15 too ...about the same I just spent on some Chinese food for dinner. Can't go wrong. I'm looking forward to getting some more of his profiles.

I bought the 69 Marshall mini pack last night from MBritt and have been blown away by how much I absolutely love it. The thing that kind of hooked me in was that it was a mini pack at a decent price. I figured I cant go wrong trying it out for $15.

I noticed the Amp Factory and Top Jimi and others offer single amp profiles for around $6-$8 a piece and then you can just piece together your own collection and not have to buy profiles you may not use. This option is way more appealing to me as a consumer than buying a whole pack at $50 or more.

I definitely want to buy more of MBritts profiles since the 69 Marshall well exceeded my expectations but curious why he doesnt offer the rest of his catalogue up as single amp profiles? I'm not saying its a bad deal at all to buy a $50 pack since I am pretty sure based off the 69 Marshall mini pack that the quality is amazing for all the profiles. I could easily spend $100 or more buying certain profiles from each $50 pack where i probably would not spend $300 or more to get all the $50 packs for 10 or so profiles I really want.

I know he mentions on his website he will be doing more mini packs but there are a lot of amp profiles he already has in the $50 packs I would buy. Like I mentioned earlier Amp Factory and others offer it and i think its a nice option.

Just my 2 cents .... does anyone out there want this too from the MBritt profiles or is it just me?

Here is an easy solution I figured out if you can not solve the issue by deleting folders etc. If you create another User profile on your Mac and re download the OS and Rig Manager it will work with no problems. Its an obvious and easy solution probably not the correct way to handle things but it will work.

I was wrong: it has indeed something to do with the number of folders. This is an issue only in OS X 10.10. On my machine, the critical number of folders was between 200 and 300, but according to Heri, it can also be much lower. We will try to find a way to avoid it in a future Rig Manager release, but it is not an easy task - basically the problem is an OSX constraint that is much more critical than in OS X 10.9. There is a somewhat risky workaround by changing an OS setting; let me know if you need it, but I'd rather recommend lowering the number of folders.

Thanks Arne!

I had the same problem and I solved it by deleting folders...

I have many Profiles and had a LOT of folders in my Library (over 30). Rig Manager didn't open and/or crashed.
    So after a couple of days I decided to delete the library of Rig Manager (Users/Library/ApplicationSupport/Kemper) and start all over again by importing Profiles step by step.
    Now I changed the way to sort my Profiles and have only 5 Folders. This works perfectly!

I did a test and added 30 empty folders to the Library and suprise.... Rig Manager crashed.
    So it has something to do with the number of folders you use. The less the better...

Im going to start deleting everything like you suggest if I don't get any resolution from tech support today. I believe you are 100% correct since I started having the issue after creating a lot of folders. Thanks for your help!

Anyone have any experience with Tech Support? Over the past couple of days I have sent them all the files they requested to try and get my Rig Manager to open/work and I have not heard or had any communication from them since yesterday morning. I emailed them this morning asking for an update/time to fix the issue and have had no response. i just sent another email as well. Getting a little frustrated since I've never had a software issue take days to fix. I'm no techie but I would think just getting a working copy of Rig Manager on my Mac wouldn't be days to complete.