Posts by piotrmaj

Pierwsze spotkanie mamy za sobą - a że było bardzo sympatycznie to organizujemy kolejne.

23 kwietnia o 20:00 na Zoomie (link podeślę w przyszłym tygodniu)

Data dość odległa, a to dlatego, żeby dać szansę użytkownikom, który wpadają tu sporadycznie.

I suspect it is about special characters in folder names and length of folder names (and depth):

For example:

Kemper Wah-settings List as Presets 2021-03-18/USB-stick Transfer->/Shared/Effect Presets/Wah/Wah Wah/WW Dunlop JC95 1 - 2016-06-26 12-47-56.kpreset

contains character >, which is suspicious and maybe Windows tools are struggling with it. On Mac everything is good.

yup, my experience as well. MIDI chase is not an option with Kemper (it is musical DDoS :) ) which is a shame because it is super convenient on rehearsals, when sometimes we want to start "somewhere in the middle", but can't because patch was not changed...

Let us know if disabling chase helped.

The only difference between your process and mine is that I creat my performances in RM Local Library folder rather than the MyProfiler folder.

yeah, this is huge difference. The issue is that RM and KPA get out of sync easily when you are building a performance using RM with KPA in performance mode (my case). My process is very incremental - I build my performances slowly, often listening to what I just added to hear if new slot plays well with the rest. Doing so from RM always leads to issues, which is super frustrating. If a workflow is allowed from UI it should be predictible.

I created a video showing the issue, and as a user I really don't think I did anything wrong (just dragged rig into slot and hit save) and that I should understand more about inner workings of KPA to get this right.

https://www.icloud.com/icloudd…2moDZT54CiQ#KemperPerfBug

Needless to say my RM shows now this (after reloading performance by switching to different one and back):

And device itself this:

They are out of sync. Every single time I try to use this feature (which I always do after RM is updated in hope that maybe this time it will work) I fall into this or similar issues.

I did load the performance. The workflow I used was: load empty performance into KPA, then open second window of RM, drag and drop rigs from second window into slots open in first window - saving after each operation. I might have switched slots on device itself to audition previously added slots. Worked great until it stopped and "Crunch" slot appeared and what was supposed to be in slot #5 ended up in slots #4 and #5 with slot #5 renamed to Crunch. As far as I know I had only this one performance loaded. As a user I expect that when I drag and drop rig into slot #5 of performance #23 it will end up in slot #5 of performance #23 and only there (whether is it loaded or not should not matter - it is possible to execute such action from UI, so it should behave as expected). And if RM detects that I'm dragging a rig into slot #5 of performance #23 but in edit buffer it has something else it should warn me, saying: "hey, looks like you are dragging a rig into slot which is not part of loaded performance - this will possibly damage your previous work". But I suspect my case is different anyway - I had single performance loaded all the time. This whole process is too error prone and fragile.

RM screwed up one of my performances just yesterday using latest version. I successfully used the same worflow to fill in first four slots. When I tried to insert fill in 5th slot, fourth slot contained what what fifth should, fifth slot had what fourth now had (both slots ended up containing the same rig), but fifth slot ended up being called... Crunch out of blue. Performance management is still broken as far as I am concerned and I have all patience in the world and ocean of good. I used various products in the past, both cheaper and more expensive, but performance management in RM is by far the least trustworthy feature and you can't just say it is a user error. User does same thing over and over getting random results and losing work.

If i can help with this, let me know. ;)

Same here, I enjoy your profiles very much - if you'd like me to sort some subset (like pick my top 10 from maybe not hundreds, but a few dozens :) ) I definitely can do it.

I don't use Live with Kemper, but the way I set up my projects in Logic is as follows: I place start of the song on bar 6 or later. This gives me 6 bars to put Kemper and friend's Axe FX in state I want them to be, load light show to DMX controller (I use midi sysex for that, too). Having this space in front gives me opportunity to space everything out without causing flood of midi messages. I use MIDI chase feature on rehearsals, but disable it for shows - it caused me troubles in the past with Toaster.

You can send many events in quick succession, if needed - just separate them with a few ticks (each MIDI event has position: bar, beat, division and tick - even one or two ticks of separation should do the trick).

You can achieve what you want using any of previously mentioned methods, but in my opinion CC7 is the way to go, if you're automating from DAW (or hardware midi sequencer). It doesn't pollute your rigs with dummy slots and your automation lane responsible for volume in DAW will be called... well, you guessed it: Volume :) Nice, simple and effective. If you need "manual override" then dummy slot in each rid with -inf volume sounds like reasonable idea (although in this case I'd prefer to just have volume/expression pedal).

I'm automating CC7, and at the end of song, after it fades away I turn volume off on guitar and send another CC7 to set volume back to 127 (I keep global volume at 0dB, so I always return to CC7=127). This way next song in set is good to go and KPA doesn't stay muted.

Between songs I typically turn volume down on guitar itself and also I have pretty aggressive noise gate set - so no MIDI is involved in this part.

I think he refined a little too long. But he is trying to be accurate.. and he was actually much more impressed with his Kemper

The end result was not ideal and I believe it could be tweaked quite easily to match the amp. But at least it was not miles away like in first video - the character of the amp was captured correctly, unlike in first video. I think his video makes it very apparent what are users struggles and expectations from these kinds of devices - too many options makes profiling harder, error prone and feels like "work", not "magic". QC showed that this process can be much simpler and KPA should have an easier, more automated way to profile, IMHO. Jarrod did great job with this video.

Its so surprising Jarrod doesn't Refine too, because his Profiles come out sounding Killer! Lol

I like his profiles, too. Which doesn't mean that they are close to the real thing - we just don't have a reference (and they probably are not even close if he's doing profiling like shown in this video). But it doesn't matter at all - his profiles sound great and are fun to play. However this video is a bit unfortunate - whatever Jarrod could do to screw up this comparison, he did (using different overdrives, lack of refining). Whoever will bumps into his video as a first movie comparing the two units will be under impression that QC is awesome (got the sound almost spot on) and Kemper sucks at profiling (was not even close to real amp). This is simply not true - both units excel at it, for what I can hear, but one requires more patience and work. Skipping refining / or insufficient refining seems to be the most common sin of youtubers. Guidorist showed exactly what to do to correctly profile an amp - there is absolutely no excuse at this point for not doing it.