Posts by Job Posthuma

Even with the gate set on zero...theres still an audible gate in the chain.
    Can i turn it off/ edit it anywhere?

I can tell its there because when i ring a very soft note, with guitar volume down i can hear noise increase.
    Its on every profile.

For @home use id recommend studio monitors, sound much better then frfr pa monitors.
    You dont gig...go for an unpowered version...and a set of studio reference monitors.

If you do decide to gig:

For stagemonitoring, to me guitarcabs sound much better then frfr, despite the obvious theoratical reasons why frfr should fit the KPA better, and lots of ppl being perfectly happy with frfr.
    Probably all comes down to how important "amp in the room feel" is to the player.

I use either the return of a Boss katana....very practical and light, clean sounds great...driven sounds doable.
    Or a tube mesa 50/50 and a 2x12 cab...sounds great.

Offcourse you lose the diversity of profiled cabs running a set up like this.

Did you notice that when u use head, the remote goes in the same gigbag?

Myself, i would be missing controllers with the remote only, so i went for this, which also fits on top of the head. Pedal is my Wah, whats missing (and in the mail) is a 2 knob pedal which can control 4 parameters with the 2 knobs. It includes a bluetooth midi remote, and its all powered by the battery on the board...so its completely wireless.

So i hook the KPA to the net, plug to whatever is powering it, throw this board on the Floor...and im good to go. Carrying a guitar and the KPA gigbag.

Good point, Job. Sometimes the most-obvious things...

Reading it again...ts also tried studio monitors..and wasnt happy with that either.

Even to the most critical amongst us, what is descibed cant be the case, running studio monitors and scrolling presets should at least be "ok".
    Advicing other profiles/cabs seems not the first thing to look at...

Maybe ts can:
    Record a direct guitar signal
    Reamp that with a KPA preset
    Post those 2
    So someone can reamp it with the same preset.

Regardless of whats right or wrong...im an amp in the room dude also....and getting it with the KPA using returns of combo's.

What you describe is so far off of what im getting with low gain sounds ...and dailing back volumes....something is not right :)

What you describe sounds like putting the Kemper in a guitar cab with cab Sims on.
    Did you switch them off when using a guitar cab?

@st33l why on earth would you want 2 Kempers :)
    If you want multiple amps in your sound you can profile that right?
    Wait for KPA V2 dude :)

I just tried the 50/50 with my KPA, and a 2x12 marshall 9200 cab that came cheap with the amp.
    That cab isnt supposed to be all that good...
    I ran it using only one side, in the 150w mono input of the cab.

The combination, at least at relative low volume, was a bit mid scooped, but in a musical way, so cutting a bit on precense, highs and bass had me singing haleluja...i love it!

I will be trying some more cabs, and talk to a tech about tuning that midscoop, and playing live is real proof of the pudding...but im confident its a keeper.

And pretty low cost btw..

I owned one 20 years ago and what from what i remember, and also when i was previewing this one at the buy, i think "muffled" isnt gonna be the problem, restraining highs is :)

Dont have the oppertunity to try with KPA next couple of days unfortunately..

http://www.musicradar.com/news…e-of-the-amp-stack-625262

I gave the link with the last page/conclusion first because there is all the sauce..about the "peacefull co-existance" between the past and the future.

It is a good article and a nice round table(CK is there too).

nice article!
    To me, when your in a situation where you have the choice between the sound of a miced amp, or the KPA....no doubt in my mind i'd go for the KPA.

Where i have the oppertunity to have my own soundsource, and my band also:
    Im confident the KPA is as good as a preamp as any tube one.
    Also im confident a guitar cab suits me better then a miced/simulated signal through frfr
    Im not sure yet wether a tube power amp suits me better then a ss, i think it will...under investigation:)

In my search for the best live monitoring solution i ran into a good priced 1st generation mesa 50/50 and decided to buy it.

Did anyone try this with the KPA? What cabs/speakers did you try with what result?
    Did you have one with the "deep mod"...or did you do the mod?

Background on what i tried so far:

Voxac15c...not half bad considering i never got that amp sounding good...a lot of color added.
    Frfr...definitely not for me..tried several
    Fender mustang4 using the return....pretty damn good...i didnt settle for it because the highs were not airy enough..still maybe the best live sound i got in years using vox/koch tube amps.
    Katana 100w 1x12 using the return...best result so far without a band playing....gigging it was excellent running a hollowbody and clean tones, drive tones were again on the harsh side...maybe when the speaker breaks in im good.
    Anyway....the 50/50 is one of the things im gonna try next.

Im not shure if its gonna work, bit to adres im gonna go for controling them with a nose quad box.
    A 2 knob foot controller where you can switch each to a different output, giving you essentially 4 controllers.
    This would give me the chance to dail it in when i switch guitars.

However, it should be a global parameter, not a preset one, not sure if its there in the KPA.
    If its not there...that would be a good feature to have...global input sense..

If that fails, ill go for a hardware cleanbooster to keep me from programming too much.

Stevie wonders favorite key?........C Sharp
    Difference between singers and terorists?....with terorists you can negociate!
    3 most common lies of guitar players:
    - i can read music
    - i turned the volume down
    - i didnt date her

Most common reaction of a singer to a cabrio...look at all that room for my legs!

If your looking for an amp in the room feel, also try using the return of guitar cabs, switching your cab sim off.
    I tried several in the shop, cheap ass katana came out as the winner.

Yesterday i got me the 100 version.
    @home it was great, clean and driven, very dynamic and responsive, also at high volumes.

Also did a gig with it.
    Soundchecked without band...all great.
    First set running a hollowbody and clean tones...couldnt have wished for more.
    Second set running a solid body, the rig i switched to was turned out on the bright side in a full band, i probably should have compensated that in the master eq. It resulted in my driven tones sounding a bit flat and on the harsh side.

Im not sure this was an eq thingy, or maybe the phenomona of solid states amps not doing well in a mix.

Anyway, still think its worth to consider that amp.

I would not try to match the PA system of your current gig. 1 Pa speakers are build for high volume, compromising home volume, so never a good reference in that case.
    2 with studio reference speakers you would be dailing in your sounds for "avarage" use, giving you a good starting point for every situation. (A good pa guy uses reference audio to dail in his FOH)

Consider getting studio reference monitors.

To me the very high end of those are excellent for mixing when used in a acousticly balanced room. (They dont sound all that pleasant compared to hifi speakers by the way) Using high end reference speakers in your homostudio to me is driving a Ferrari in a 30 speed limit zone. Your gonna have to compensate the "acoustic errors" from your room in anycase. Therefor i went for reference monitors that sounded pleasant, gave me a good stereo image close range, but necessairely top of the line

@Burkhard, that worked!
    Sounds indeed complicated, but i think its gonna work...and its very compact:

2 bank buttons.
    5 rigswitches
    1 switch that toggles my 2 pedals from wah and volume (default), to verb and delay mix.

The rigswitches:
    1 first push loads sound
    2nd activates 3rd stomp slot (in my case a clean boost)
    3rd deactivates 3rd stompslot, and morphs sound (im my case lead sound, volume up, delay up)
    4th adds the stomp again for the morphed sound.

Each push activates beatscanner/tempo..saying me another button there.

I didnt get the 2 way communication up and running yet , but im happy for now.

I got myself this midicontroller http://www.microdesignum.cz/EN…Grande/MIDI-Grande-manual

Reason is i wanted something smaller then the behringer fcb...and wireless.

Setting it up im running into some stuff...and expecting some more :)

After i programmed the controller to send the right Cc for bank up/down, the mute function stopped working. It worked before i changed those Cc.
    According to the controllers manual it should work with the KPA.

I cant get the KPA to sync, The midi direction from KPA to Controller doesnt seem to work. From the manual this probably relates to the mute issue, but i seem to have the settings right.

I set up a pedal controling the delay. It works for the unmorphed version of the sound. The morphed sound has the delay mix altered. On the morphed sound the pedal doesnt work anymore. Is there a way around this?

When loading a sound, where the pedal is connected to the delay mix, the current setting of the pedal determines the delay mix. I would like that to be the mix in the preset, and only on movement of the pedal the mix is determined by the pedal. I can imagine this is caused by how the controler handles this, but maybe there is a commen method to get this.