Posts by Lobsta

Hi,

I like to double track my guitars and pan one left and right for that fuller sound. If I'm using a profile with chorus / flange effects I also like to record that track in stereo as mono sounds flat and lifeless. I assume it needs a stereo field to come to bring the effects to life.

I've just started recording this way recently, with so far good, interesting results. I used to record only in mono. Using Reaper DAW, you have 5 different options under the pan control on each track. The most interesting one is 'Dual Pan' mode. What this does is creates 2 pan controls on that track. So if recorded in stereo for the left guitars for example, I'll set one at 100%L, one at 50 or 60L, then do the opposite on guitar #2. Under normal mono pan, I like 100L/100R for the separation, somehow this sounds better, different than say 70L/70R or similar. The dual pan creates an even balance for me- example- parts where everything drops out, and one guitar is playing solo- If you're 100L it really drops out and you'd have to automate for proper audibility. Anyway, hopefully whatever DAW you use has some similar options to try....

When you add a small amount of Micro-pitch or chorus, then things get even more interesting!

I have a Presonus Studio 1824C. All the connections sound great, my recording sound pretty much exactly like the headphone output of the Kemper, does everything I need it to. Not sure how it compares to the others mentioned, but works good for me.

It ran around $500, but they have models in the same series that have less inputs and outputs for around $200 I think.

One factor is it is a USB C interface, so if you have a USB C connection on your computer (or will upgrade at some point in the future), that's a plus. It won' be outdated as fast as some others might.

I still have an older PC with std USB connection, works fine with it. I think with USB C, you can get much faster data transfer which equals lower latency.

The first things to try (if you haven't):

*Adjust the 'Clean Sens' and 'Dist Sens'. Either from the input menu, or better yet the Rig Manager software. Just crank or lower that, see if things improve. (can be drastic, very important)

*Change cabs. Find a decent tone gain-wise you like, lock the amp section in Rig manager, and load other profiles to audition just their cabs.

*If high end fizz is an issue, add an eq, then LP down to 8k, or cut out 7k or 5k.

You're already this far in, consider picking up an audio interface for a few hundred $. Even if you end up returning or selling the Kemper, the audio interface is invaluable, has so much use for home recording and demoing.

When in doubt, refer to Chris's post above, last sentence....

For recording guitar with an analog signal you shouldn’t need a 1meg ohm input either. I believe the generally accepted convention is that you need the input impedance to be at least 10 times the output. Most guitar pickups are less than 20k so 470k ohm is plenty for a guitar signal.

That might be so, but I have had a multitude of interfaces over the years. I Mohm always sounded better for plugging guitar in direct. Less choked, more live sounding.

Prefer the Mercuriall SS-11X. Sounds great, and runs at way lower latency without glitching. Can't even run the Euphoria without clicking. There isn't as much variety of tone, but what's there sounds very good. Again, try the SS-11X demo out.

So, with the RME instrument input being as it is, it just does not sound right and clips way too easily when hitting it with EMG. So I was going to buy a COUNTRYMAN 85 or even thought about getting a Grace m101 but then it occured to me to just use the Kemper input, and feed the VST AMP sim with the SPDIF out of the Kemper.

How many of you are using the Kemper in this way, as a "DI" to feed a VST amp sim inside of your DAW vs. using a separate DI box?

I do, when tracking for a song I record the DI track and the Kemper track, or other times I just want to play thru an ampsim, I'll use the Kemper out. (all analog outs, don't care for SP/DIF) I have had the Countryman and the Boss DI, while they are ok, the Kemper DI sounds just as good or better. Also, If you're still having issues with interface input clipping and your input doesn't have a pad feature, then the solution you could try is to lower your pickup height.

Thanks for the response. In terms of recording through interface etc. I'm assuming I can still get the sound from the cab whilst I'm recording. (Very much a noob)!

Yes, sure. There are so many output options there, both in terms of physical jacks, and internally you can route/assign different things to them as well. Just try them until you like the setup....Once you get everything set up, definitely download and use the rig manager software.

Very much appreciated! This is exactly what I’m going to do. Solves all my problems in one. I asked this question on the forum - possibly in the wrong manner - and was informed I needed to use the interface headphones. I’ll try and work out my outputs as I have a camplifier amp I’d like connected at the same time.

I’m thinking... mains l/r to interface - monitor to Kab and interface 2x outputs to 2x inputs on Kemper.

Sounds good! If you have any problems, look in the output menu, you might have to change a setting to hear the DAW output correctly on the Kemper.

The sound quality is the same though all of them, so it's up to you. I have many ins/outs on my interface, so use the 2 xlr main outs to record in stereo if I want (you can do the same with the 1/4" outs) usually mono though, the direct out runs the clean guitar signal for possible re-amping later.

Unusual part of my setup:

My unit is just used for recording (never leaves) so I also have one set of the outputs from the interface goes to the alternate input and return input on the Kemper. When recording I can have tons of plugins running in my DAW at max buffer size, and no issues with latency because it's all monitored on the Kemper, you can hear the DAW playback and your live guitar. (which can be panned in the rig menu).

Alternate approach would be to monitor direct from the audio interface. Pretty much every interface should have this ability in one form or another- either with driver software or onboard knob. Record monitoring in your DAW can be problematic if you're running many plugins (or have an old computer like me), you get glitches unless the buffer size is increased, which causes latency delay.

Something sort of similar happened once. I was trying to set up for profiling, and must of got the connections wrong, I think it started a feedback loop or overloaded the input because of how I hooked it up. Whatever it was, it was bad! Then, when I switched back to just guitar, it was like you mentioned the guitar sounded choked, little to no gain compared to before, sounded really off like not getting enough signal from the guitar. Thought I had fried the Kemper. So turned it off for about an hour, turned it back on, no problems since.

I would consider getting an external audio interface for recording. There not all that expensive these days. As far as hooking everything up, the S/PDIF is only one option. There are many other output choices on the Kemper. Be aware that there is a measurable amount of latency using S/PDIF, possibility of stutters and pops, glitches, and no difference in sound quality. There's never any pops or glitches with the other outputs, lower latency (pretty much none), and sound quality is the same. (I never use S/PDIF after trying it, latency messes up with my playing a little)

Still, get an audio interface with sufficient inputs and try for yourself what works best.

Tragedy, Man!! Hope Karma came back for ya.

In 1987 Laney released a 20th Anniversary Edition which was all in white tolex, and this is one of those. I think only 200 of the white heads were made. Other than the white tolex and a serial number plaque on the front, I think it's identical to the black ones. Gotta get it some new tubes at some point!

Excavated my Laney Pro-Tube Lead 100 watt tube head out of storage. Back when these came out, they were like hot rodded Marshall heads. 4 x preamp tubes split into 2 cascading preamps, All 3 EQ controls have a pull boost feature. Bass boost was just massive! I don't have a cabinet, so used a loadbox to profile it. After about 10-15 mins. of being on and warming up, the volume would start jumping up and down drastically, one of the tubes must be gone or going? So I did a few at a time before it got too warmed up. Anyway, add a comment, let me know if you think any of these are usable.

Laney AOR PTL100 Profiles.zip