Posts by HowardBrown

Did it boot back up?

I have had different anomalies but my unit still functions fine. Examples; error code on led screen that says contact support and instructions to exit the error code screen, power down then back up with no apparent problems afterwards. Turn the unit off from browse mode but it stays on, turn knob back to browse then off again and unit shuts down with no apparent problems afterwards, the reverse has also occurred powering up. It has happened 8 or 10 times in 5 years so I just look at it the same as I would a computer, a glitch.

caught Ernie Isley, with the Isley Brothers yesterday on TV, PLAYING A Kemper Toaster

It's at a point now that it's no longer uncommon to see them, every genre and age group has embraced the technology to some extent, it's a great tool, very versatile and extremely compact, but it's still fun to spot them.

I saw an interview on YouTube with Chuck Garric and Tommy Henriksen from Alice Coopers band lately from about three years ago, they had moved to Kempers. I found it interesting that both of them use a couple of profiles and the Kempers effects and call it good to go on tour, a simple change over from analog. It's made me start looking really hard for one amp that I can get a clean, crunch and lead that sound good and feel good to me when playing, then forget about the rest and just play. There are to many great profiles to choose from and it's become a hindrance for me, I like their solution and think it's worth trying.

External Power Amps Driving Unpowered KEMPER Kabinets

If you want to use unpowered KEMPER Kabinets but have no PowerHead nor PowerRack, you need an external power amplifier. Any solidstate amp wil l work. Using a tube power potentially sweeten the sound too much.amp will change the frequency response and Mono/stereo setup with PROFILER Stage and external power amplifier.

And as stated above, instrument cables from the Profiler outs to the power amp inputs.

Speaker cables from the power amp outs to the Kabinet inputs.

The palmer mentioned would be nice but it looks like your in Australia, you may encounter the same issue as in the US, no availability.

The Behringer NX1000 is $199.00 in the US right now, that could be a better option than the EPQ304 as it offers more power per channel though only two channels rather than four, but being limited to 50-75 watts with the EPQ304 might make it a regrettable purchase depending on the intended use, I doubt it would suffice in a live band environment.

The TC Electronics Bam200 is a cost effective alternative and offers ample power if it is available, it no longer is in the US. I had and used one for a year but moved to a Seymour Duncan Powerstage unit. If you can swing it I'd recommend a Powerstage, it was a definite improvement in the overall sound of my rig and looking back I wish I would have bought it in the beginning.

I've had my Kemper for 5 years but just settled on the components to my setup (power amp and speaker) in the last month so I'm starting over. Reset my profiler back to factory and went thru those profiles first, kept 7 or 8 and deleted the rest. More of the stock profiles sound really good and were responsive to the touch when playing but sounded very similar to one another, so I just picked the ones that sounded best to me.

I honestly could stop there and start setting up performances with those but I have over a thousand profiles I've purchased and will go thru them in the same manner then weed out similar ones again. In the end I'd like to have maybe 15-20 of what sounds and feels best to me and are different sounding from one another. And there are still many more in the Rig Manager folders that sound good, and surfing thru the Rig Exchange yields quite a few goodies also if you have the time and patience to go thru them, I just limited my search to the factory profiles and my purchased profiles I have and will stop there because it can drive you crazy🥴

5 on the input noise gate does seem high, that would really alter your rigs sound. Here is Kempers explanation of the different noise gates and their functions. I believe I said this before in another thread, resetting to factory fresh after having the KPA for sometime and being more familiar with it than at the start, then taking time to read about the function of settings really helped me achieve much better results as I wasn't quite as overwhelmed by information overload as when first getting the unit, but I am a little slow at times lol!

Glad to here your making progress, when you hit the point that you hear the tone you've been searching for it makes the time and effort you put in more than worth it, but it can be frustrating getting there.

manual page 31

NOISE GATE Knob (5)

This knob controls the Noise Gate, which eliminates the noise and hum of your guitar in a very smart way. Turn the NOISE GATE knob to the right until noise and hum have disappeared; do not turn it beyond that point, as this might alter the sound of your guitar. When set to the appropriate position, you will notice that noise and hum are eliminated, even when the strings are still sounding. There is no need for an additional release control as found in classic noise gates. The Noise Gate settings can be stored as part of a Rig. Like "Clean Sens”, the Noise Gate setting is part of the Input Section and is stored with the Rig. It is also stored as part of any input preset. When the Input Section is locked, the noise gate is locked as well. For metal sounds, we recommend adding one of the special noise gate effects, which are explained in the Noise Gate chapter.

manual page 206

Noise Gate (Cyan)

In addition to the noise gate in the Input Section, there are two additional noise gates available as effects, developed specifically with the hi-gain player in mind. Whereas the noise gate in the Input Section is designed to preserve the guitar’s dynamics exactly, the Noise-Gate effects behave like classic downward expanders. Downward expanders attenuate a signal once it has fallen below a certain threshold and are often used to tighten complex metal-riffing. This is because a palm mute will still retain all of its “chunk”, but will also become more percussive, thereby preventing the dreaded “mud”. The two noise-gate effects feature different expansion ratios, chosen for their musicality.

Noise Gate 2:1

This noise gate is a soft expander, with an expansion ratio of 2:1. If the level of the input signal lies below the threshold it will be attenuated by a factor of 2. In other words, each dB below the threshold leads to 2dB attenuation of the signal.

Noise Gate 4:1

This noise gate is a more aggressive expander, with an expansion ratio of 4:1. If the level of the input signal lies below the threshold it will be attenuated by a factor of 4. In other words, each dB below threshold leads to 4dB attenuation of the signal. As with the Input Noise Gate, there are no attack or release controls, as we have selected the shortest possible times without introducing any signal degradation. The attack time is 0.05 ms (that’s 50 microseconds, or one twentythousandth of a second), while the decay time is 50 ms. You can use the Noise Gate effects in combination with the noise gate in the Input Section to benefit from the different noise gate characters.

Not sure if that is an update or an old wording that hasn’t been updated. The Power Amp boost definitely did affect the Monitor Output on non powered versions. You obviously can’t turn the Power Amp On/Off on a non powered version so that line in the manual doesn’t make much sense. I’m not near my KPA at the moment but it’s easy enough to test. Just turn it up and down and see if it does anything.

It was from the main manual 8.5, I found the change in wording on page 15 of addendum 8.7.

"When KEMPER Kone mode is switched off, the "Power Amp Boost” is deactivated, thus returning the full signal headroom to the MONITOR OUTPUT."

So it only works if Kemper Kone is activated and not available for the OP's setup. As far as the Power Amp on/off goes, it shows as on with a light in the Output section of Rig Manager when you are at original factory settings, even though it serves no purpose in the non powered rack I turn it off, knowing that light is on bugs me ; )

Is Poweramp Boost turned up on the KPA? Even though you don’t have an internal power amp the Monitor Output and Speaker Output on powered versions share the same signal path. Therefore, increasing Poweramp Boost on a non powered version still increases the output level at the monitor out.

I've misunderstood this, when looking at the manual (page 92-93) I thought it was saying that when using the internal power amp you get the same signal as monitor out but a loss of signal volume, so the power amp boost added 12db. When using just the monitor out disengaging the power boost returns the monitor out to full signal, so I disengage power amp and boost in Rig Manager on my non powered rack.

(from manual)

Power Amp Boost

As mentioned, the power amp is internally connected to the MONITOR OUTPUT, which provides enough headroom to support even the loud attacks and transients of clean guitars. However, this comfortable headroom will naturally lower the signal volume for the power amp, so you might not achieve the desired loudness. Turning up the "Power Amp Boost” will increase the volume loudness by up to 12 dB, in addition to the other volume controls in the signal flow, such as "Monitor Volume” or "Rig Volume”. The "Power Amp Boost” has no further impact to the sound or dynamics of the power amp. When the power amp is switched off, the "Power Amp Boost ” is deactivated, thus returning the full signal headroom to the MONITOR OUTPUT.

ps. try to get your mind off of the thongs this early in the morning, it makes for a really long day😏

i don´t have an issue with playing loud, for some reason I can´t get that extra push for leads ...

I was having some issues so recently I reset my Kemper to factory settings, after several years of dabbling I thought a fresh start might straighten out anything I might have inadvertently done, I've only changed the low and high cut and monitor volume since and everything is working very well now. Have you tried an eq after the amp to push the mids a little more to help cut through just for solos?

Sometimes with a boost before the amp you can turn the mix percentage of that effect down some to gain a push in volume but retain a little more clarity from your guitar without over saturation. If I'm finding a profile difficult to manipulate I'll move on to another one, the better one sounds out of the gate equals less hassle for me to work with it. I also find that profiles, just like amps, behave differently to the stomps, some except boosts and drives better than others, there are so many available it's worth auditioning a bunch to find the few that play well with your rig.

A zilla 2x12 super fatboy vertical ... the other one a 4x12 frog ...

I´ll try to use a lower db on the output to leave some Room for extra gaan on the input of the sd ...

Raf

Oh man, with either one of those cabinets I'd have everyone in the band upset lol!

In the late 80's I had a Peavey Stereo Chorus 400, a 2 x 12 solid state amp that could overshadow the whole band, drummer included ; )