Posts by SnowDayz

Hi!

Gave profiling a try finally. I did not mic any of my cabinets, just did Direct profiles.

Into front of Kemper with Les Paul. Kemper to Boogie input, Boogie Slave (includes power amp, NO cab emulation!) to Kemper. Les Paul with DiMarzio PAF 36th bridge + neck for refining. No severe tone crafting (IOW, no "V" graphic EQ, bass/mid/treb knobs moved from noon only enough to tame tone, and make... decent to my ears, EQ in for Chan 2 and 3, mild tweaks to refine). Chan 2 and 3: I did Gain at 9 o'clock, Noon, and 3 o'clock, except for Mark IV, did 9 o'clock, tween 11 and Noon, 1 o'clock, and then 3 o'clock (last one is pretty saturated!)

Chan 1: 2 Clean, 1 Fat, 2 Tweed

Chan 2: 3 Edge, 3 Crunch, 3 Mark I

Chan 3: 6 Mark II, 8 Mark IV (No Extreme)

I have a large batch of IRs I made several years ago, and might make more later, but they are not that good, and no idea how to upload them, lol.

Feedback would be appreciated, so I can learn from critique, and hopefully get even better profiles before someone buys my Mark V.

do not change the file names, they need to be like they are.

Interesting... they worked the same either way. And once dragged into Presets -> Local Library -> (my cab folder), the appended time/date was truncated anyway (all of my file names are more than 20 characters, without the appended time/date). Renaming them once in Local Library, exporting (creating .kpreset files, retaining the full >20 character name), and then either drag and drop or using Import worked perfectly, and the 32 or less character name survived truncation to 20 characters.

My questions now: Why does CabMaker create incompatible .kipr files? Why does a drag & drop of those files to Presets -> Local Library truncate to 20 characters, while an export of an (up to) 32 character file from Local Library (creating a .kpreset file), and then Import back into the Profiler survive truncation?

It seems to me that CabMaker having an option to convert an IR to EITHER a .kipr or .kpreset file would be a great new feature, no? And since .kipr seems to be relegated to 20 characters (for now?), but .kpreset has a 32 character limit, truncating the output would be nice as well. Unless y'all have something else planned?

Thanks!

quick follow up...

I drag n dropped my .kipr files into the Presets-> Local Library -> (my folder), then selected those files in Rig Manager, and exported. This created files with the same names I gave them, but with .kpreset rather than .kipr. These new .kpreset files could be imported, and they retained up to 32 available characters.

Kind of odd that CabMaker creates .kipr files that will not import into Rig Manager, but drag n drop, and then exporting to create .kpreset files which CAN be imported (and retain up to 32 name characters, rather than truncating to 20 name characters that drag n drop causes). Wondering if this due to my using the newest OS 7.xxx and Rig Manager that only works it, and CabMaker needs an update to create files it sees as valid?

Hi!
    I searched, and all I found was an old post stating that there was a 20 character name limit, but after a certain version, that limit was raised to 32.

The issue I am having is: I have a collection of IRs that I made a few years ago, and after I converted them to 44.1/24 (from 48/32float), I came up with a naming scheme that would work with a 32 character limit. I then used CabMaker (ver 2.1.2) to convert .wav to .kipr, and imported (drag & drop) into RigManager.

Two things:

First, using "File -> Import Presets" results in an error ("Rig Manager didn't find any suitable files to import..."). Drag & Drop to Presets -> My Profiler did not work either. Drag & Drop to "Presets -> Local Library -> (directory I created)" did work. However...

Second, once drag & dropped to Presets -> Local Library -> (my folder), the names are truncated to 20 characters. Interestingly, I can then go to the Preset -> Name field in the Inspector, and fill in the truncated characters, hit enter, and all is well. I can then drag & drop that Local Library cab preset to Presets -> My Profiler, and it is imported properly, with the >20 character name and all. Go to Kemper (Rack, unpowered; OS 7.05 beta), hold Cab button, and I can now switch to any of my cabs, and they seem to be named and working properly.

I am only using alpha numeric characters, and underscores in my names.

Also- is there any way to turn off the appending of the time-date addition to resulting .kipr in CabMaker?

Thanks!

Hi!
    I just got a Kemper Rack, brand new. Unpacked, and as I looked it over, I heard what sounds like something loose inside. I gave it a gentle jiggle, heard sound. Checked all screws outside, none loose. Check all buttons to see if one might be defective, all tight. Checked all knobs, all work fine, seem solid. When I jiggle it, I am hearing what sounds like a screw that is slightly loose, and has a washer, so the washer is what is making the sound.

Since it is brand new, I cannot open it without voiding the warranty (I assume), since there are no serviceable parts inside. It seems to be working 100% fine, but I am afraid of Murphy's Law kicking in at some point, and if it is a screw with a washer that is loose, that it will eventually fall out, and then cause havoc. Returning it for an exchange would mean waiting another week or two to get a replacement, and that would not be fun.

Anyone know of anything inside that would make that type of noise when the Kemper Rack is jiggled a little?

Thanks! Supposed to be here Tuesday, rack all ready for it to just slide right in :)

So now it's 39 years that you've been playing guitar, right? :D

There's been a wave of returnees of late, and it's fantastic that you're rejoining the fold, Heather.

Welcome back! <3

HAHhAhaha!!! Yes, 39 years, will be 40 years in December. My Dad bought me an acoustic for my 14th birthday, but put a condition on it: take piano lessons (I know, nice birthday present, huh? Pffft... lol... I taught myself to play piano, but he wanted me to take "real" lessons). Do not have that acoustic, but I do have my first electric still (a Lark Les Paul copy), which survived my being homeless in NYC for a few months during winter '88/'89.

Hi!

I tried a Kemper nearly 2 years ago, and I gave up too quickly. Life throws curve balls, and this one has driven me to order a Kemper (rack) once again. Unless something tragic happens, I will be staying this time. I just want to be able to record my music, and to be able to noodle whenever I want. My first run Legacy recently died, but that was after I decided to go Kemper. Sad, since I was really looking forward to profiling it. I will be selling my beautiful Mesa Boogie Mark V (bronco white) to afford the Kemper (Rack), but am planning to profile the heck out of it first. Finding some magic profiles will be a chore, and I hope I can find or create several that keep my smile going.

Excited!!! :)

you can use a SymLink to move user data to another drive. Rig Manager itself does not offer an option for that.

Perfect answer! :thumbup: But... I actually already have a junction for ../Kemper Amps :D

I wish more people knew about things like that. I got very lucky (and unlucky) in that My Dad got a job as a computer programmer back in 1968, and he had to work crazy long hours. So, like most things he liked, I also took an interest, initially as a way to spend more time with him (ah, Saturdays I was able to go to work with him... floor panels pushed aside for maint on cabling, rows of tall drives whirring away). Computers made more sense to Me than most humans. Many trees and animals too, HAhAHa! (remains true today ;) ). Coding of any kind, any language is, like for most I imagine, total love/hate <3:cursing: .

Anyway! I hope they eventually provide an option to customize the install paths. And if anyone needs/wants help with creation a SymLink/Junction, feel free to ask here! :thumbup:

Hi!
    I installed Rig Manager on My Win7x64 machine. I prefer to avoid installing to the default ../Program Files/ and/or ../Program FIles (x32) directories, and instead install to directories I created for certain types of programs. In this case, I have a ../MusicApps directory that I would prefer to install RIg Manager to. Further, I prefer to have any user data (rigs, perfs, IRs, etc) saved to another user specified directory. I like My OS drive/partition to be as clean as possible, opting to store as much user data (audio, video, photos, etc) on one of My other drives.

I would even be content to have Rig Manager installed to one of the drives I use for sample libraries, and then use a subdirectory of that install for My user data (rigs, perfs, IRs, etc).

I am not sure if this is already possible or not. While installing, the dialogue stated I could change install path, but there was no way I could find to do so, so I assumed it was simply a bit of "stock" dialogue that was used for the installer in this case. If this is not currently possible, then I would humbly present this as a Feature Request please, with the reasons for it as I stated in this post.
    Thanks, hope I explained it properly!

Thank you for all the welcomes, hellos, etc! :D

I have only had about 20mins of free time today, but will have quite a bit more time to play tomorrow (supposed to be wicked rain, not going out in it).
    I have to do the update tonight, and have not tried any rigs that were not on the Kemper already (came with ver 5.2.x I believe). I spent most of the 20mins on the Lotta Love patch. As of now, running a 2x12 Celestion Greenback (G12M 25w) cab, and switching between an old Peavey power amp (pretty flat response, solid state), and a MosValve MV-962. Have not tried the stereo mains out to My ADC, definitely will be doing so tomorrow. And will try profiling 8o

I have, hmmm, issues? with detail, nuance, and subtleties, which with digital guitar gear/amps is primarily *pick* attack. Non-user (direct, fully) addressable ADC in gear such as modellers, digital amps, etc seem to have dynamics "sculpting" that is typically done, I am assuming to make things more, erm, "user friendly" ;) , and this is almost always something quite up front for Me, enough to make playing through them unpleasant at best. Even with the very, very brief time I have spent with the Kemper (tried two guitars with vintage and mid-output pickups), and with NO system tweaks (completely fresh out-of-the-box, plug in and play!), it is a very different experience from past experiences I have had. With the Kemper, My immediate (and possibly/likely? wrong) conclusion is that it is like... Oh! It is like having an amp mic'd up in another room, and that amp is dimed, or at least being pushed quite hard, and I am in the CR hearing it through the monitors (at a very low level, in this case). My brain is a little baffled by it, as I know the amp is actually right there in the room with Me, it is NOT very loud, but it is behaving as if it were, and thus it should not behave in this manner.This is different than other experiences because as I lower the volume on the guitar, and ease up on the pick, it is reflected in what I am hearing with the Kemper, albeit STILL sounding like a cranked amp (being played through with a guitar with volume lowered), whereas with other gear, it has NOT been that way, and I have experienced the pick attack remaining as prominent even with the volume rolled back nearly all the way. So, I am going to try making some profiles with My amps at different levels to see how it is reflected when I play through those profiles. I hope that all made sense :D (and sorry if I sound like "another one of those :rolleyes: ).

Really like what I have experienced thus far!!! <3

Hi Heather! Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Were you referring to Barry and the Remains from the 60s, who did Diddy Wah Diddy? 8o

Yes! Barry Tashian (wow, unsure if I recalled how his last name is spelled...). When I was ... I am going to say 5 or 6 yrs old... a few of The Remains were visiting My Dad at his Mother's house (where we were living at that point), and a few others from other bands/musicians, and I was riding My bicycle and side-swiped one of the guy's blue VW. I guess because I was little and had cut My arm open, they were quite forgiving ^^ I got to hear Beatles stories, and much more, when I was allowed to be around them, and could stop babbling, as little kids will do with adults HAhHAha!

Hi!
    My name is Heather. I babble a lot. I ordered a Kemper Rack, and it is sitting in the local FedEx building today, scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (before 8pm) :D

I have been playing guitar for over 37 years (also play piano/keys and bass). I have played in bands that have travelled the country (USA), as well as running FOH, doing LD work, helped with monitor systems, and worked in studios (both sides of the glass). I also worked with several digital audio companies during the first decade of the 2000s. My Dad is a Jazz musician (sax is his primary, also piano, some guitar), and My Uncle is the bass player in The Remains. Several family members also play piano and/or other instruments, and I was around musicians/music from day one.

I will only say this about My (horrid) experience with Fractal: I bought the first version, returned within the try-out period; bought the Axe-FX II and sold it several months later. I benefitted from two (in)valuable lessons: I learned that I do not care for it, and I had someone take Me under their wing and I got the most intense course on IRs I could ever hope for (using Octave for most things :) ). Unfortunately, it also soured Me on hoping that modeling and anything similar would ever be part of My world. Until...

While rabbit-holing on YouTube, I came across Chappers and The Capt vids, and one had them pitting Kemper vs Tube Amps. And then I saw Michael Wagener praising Kemper. Michael I trust. His comment about "...the right hand being wrong..." with other digital offerings was the key, as it has been My greatest complaint thus far. His word was enough for Me to take a deep breath, and order a Kemper (rack). So, now I have a little kid in Me jumping up and down like it is My birthday tomorrow, while the sceptic/realist/party pooper in Me is off to the side, arms folded, saying, "Your presents are things you will never wear, never use, and you will have to waste your precious time returning them all." The little kid stops celebrating every so often to make a face at the sceptic, and even flipped the bird a few times :D

Hope I did not type too much, and I hope the Fractal part does not upset anyone (here). I truly am excited! I am not looking to replace tube amps, but rather I want another option that expands My composing and recording world.