Posts by Wheresthedug

To answer your second question first. Yes, turn off the cab sim for both. The cab section is related to which type of speaker system you are using (guitar or FRFR/FOH PA) not the power amp choice.

As for the Matrix, I haven’t used it as I have a powered head but the basic idea of all these amps is that they should be super clean and faithful to the input sound. Therefore, if the sound isn’t great it is usually the profile that is the issue. However, the 5150 is a valve amp which is explicitly designed to colour the sound. Thats why some people prefer EL34 and others 6L6, KT88 etc. Different valves make the power amp sound different as they distort and compress differently. The Kemper profile already has the effect baked into the tone already so shouldn’t need a valve power amp to colour the sound further. The Matrix is almost certainly closer to the original profiled amp than the 5150 power section. However, not everyone wants/likes a 1:1 copy of the original amp. Some people love the extra juiciness or mojo that comes from adding a further level of tube distortion on top of the profile. I’ve never found it necessary but others swear by it. It is really a personal taste thing rather than a right or wrong. It may just be that for you a valve power section is the preferred choice.

The new preset/fx system works on a 3 column menu.

1 - Main effect type - eg delay

2 - Effect sub type - eg Crystal Delay

3 - Effect preset - the actual settings used for an effect sub type from columns 1 and 2.

The presets can be either factory made or user made. If you find a preset you like in column 3 load it and play. If you want to creat your own from scratch or by tweaking an existing one just twiddle the knobs until it sound good the save your new settings.

Absolutely agree although it doesn’t even need a button. I remember at the beginning being totally frustrated that Rig Manager wouldn’t respond to the basic computer keyboard undo shortcut which is the same for most programs . It seems like a basic oversight for any piece of software to not respond to undo commands.

CK has already said he will add sweetened tunings at some point and has even asked forum members what they would like this to look like. However, we have no idea at this stage when such an addition may be added. It seems like they have their hands full with the editor and all the issues with the Stage so it probably isn’t number one priority at the moment but as the saying goes “good things come to those who wait” ?

It makes sense and would be a useful feature for some. The usefulness wouldn’t stop with the Stage though being able to add a POE device at the head/rack end and feed outputs from the Remote would also be a killer feature. However, as dickjonesify pointed out it would require new hardware so there is practically zero chance of it being added. Of they had wanted to add it they would have done so in the initial brief. I can’t believe they didn’t already consider it when doing their market research and for some reason made a conscious decision not to include it.

I’m not a fan of sharing Wah and Volume when using the toe switch to activate the Wah. This means wah is only ever available at full volume and when the wah is turned off the volume will be on full until backed off to the previous setting (assuming it wasn’t already at full). I use the Wah pedal and toe switch with a separate pedal for volume. However, when I need to share one pedal I allocate an FX switch on the remote to turn the Wah on and off rather than use the toe switch.

The only thing I am still missing though is finding a reverb sound like in a deluxe reverb or super reverb or something.

But I am guessing I will need to find a good reverb pedal for that.

try the Fan Spring Preset as a staring point and tweak to taste. The Spring Reverb model on the KPA os damn good.

If you want the old school dripping in reverb fender sou d put the Spring Reverb in a Stomp Slot before the amp stack. If you want a more modern spring reverb put it after the stack section

JSB the point isn’t whether or not you are able to do it just now. If you say that you have it working without any clicks and pops I have no reason to doubt you. However, the technical spec (according to CK himself) is not capable of doing this robustly due to hardware limitations. With most things in life it is possible for unlikely and unexpected event to occur by chance on occasion. However, that doesn’t mean the can be recreated at will or be expected to last. You may be experiencing a fluke period where everything is working beyond its apparent limitations but I wouldn’t take that as evidence that it will continue to do so indefinitely. I would enjoy it while it lasts but don’t be disappointed when it eventually stops either.

I've never used a modeler before, and my impression of them was essentially a digital version of a real amp, where all the components and circuitry was emulated to essentially make a copy of the amp, and I figured the kemper as a profiler was doing the same thing in a different way, so I guess I'm still getting my head around the concept and use of the Kemper!

I actually still have a tube-amp which I'm going to profile and A/B as suggested, I'm sure that'll help put things in perspective. I was using it with a Two Notes Torpedo since I sold off my cabs so I'm going to create a direct amp profile and run that through the two notes. Everything else in the chain will be exactly the same except for the amp, so that should give me a clear image of what this thing can do. Can't wait to get back home to test this out.

The amp is an ENGL Ironball BTW. I haven't seen too many profiles for that so I'll throw it up on RE once I get done in case anybody else wants it.

a few things to say about this.

First, think of the original market for the profiler. I believe the intention was to allow studis to set up an amp, cab, mic chain to record but make a snapshot of this incase there was a need to return at a later date and overdub with the same tone and/or capture that tone and take it on tour. When viewed in that way he snapshot nature makes perfect sense.

The genius of the Kemper (and the reason that it is still so good nearly a decade later) is how little processor power is needed. In order to have the component level modelling capabilities of Axe, Helx etc the hardware would have needed to be updated several times now. The snapshot methodology allows an incredible longevity for digital equipment and it doesn’t look like its going to run out of steam anytime soon.

When making Direct Amp Profiles the speaker impedance plays a part in the quality of the outcome. Although the Two Notes Torpedo is a reactive load, It still isn’t the same as the real speaker from which the IR is made. A Studio profile captures the full chain including the effect of speaker loading which something even using great IRs can’t do. I have made profiles with various DI Boxes and the real speakeras well as with my Two Notes Torpedo Reload and they all sound a little different. Not necessarily better or worse, but definitely different. If your goal is to accurately capture the sound of a particular amp/cab combination nothing beats a Studio profile. If you want to use it with a particular real cab, nothing beats a Direct Amp Profile made with the actual speaker.

When it comes to EQ try to think of it more like adding EQ at the desk than modelling the amp controls. Even after carefully setting the amp and placing mics, an engineer will typically still apply some eq at ye deslk. This doesn’t make the amp any less authentic but merely makes it fit into its overall environment/mix better.

Take a Fender Twin. Getting it in its sweet-spot will clear even a decent sized club all by itself. Especially if you're in the beam-range of the speakers. Then add enough band volume to compete and you'll never work there again.

Spoken like someone who has been banned from more han a few venues over the years ?

MPescuma as others have already mentioned, the first step is to make sure you have downloaded the Wah presets from the link earlier in this thread. This includes settings for nearly every major wah ever made. If it isn't in the list and you have the original, or know someone who does you can make a sound file of it and send it to Don who will try to recreate the sound and add it to the preset list.

Thanks Burkhard. I've been through the list of choices again incase I had missed or forgotten something but I still can't find much use for any of them myself. Ithink the Quick button is potentially a massive missed oportunity which could be improved significantly. I may not be normal but just in case I am (:S) here are my thoughts:

I don't use external midi (although I understand that would be really useful for anyone who does).

I don't need to assign it to simulate morph as I almost always have the Remote hooked up (again, I can see why this would be useful for some people though).

I can't see any situation where Version Information would need a Quick access button.

I am struggling to see the need for the Quick Edit Page as it appears that the same behaviour can already be achieved without it. For example if I want to edit page 3 of a delay Effect. When I exit this the Quick Edit Page would let me return to the same page simply by pressing the Quick button. However, if I just press the delay button again it will take me straight back to page 3 whether delay was the ast module I used or not.

I can see a use for the Snapshot browser :)

However, I would love to see the Quick button function like the Effect footswitches on the Remote. Press and hold the Quick Button > select a page from any menu > release Quick Button = the two are now linked. This would allow for example instant access to the Looper Volume and Pre/Post location on page 12 of the system menu with just a single press of the Quick button. Or the Morph settings on page 5 of the Rig menu, Page 2 of the Output Menu for instant access to all volume levels etc. Although these are two examples that I would use on a regular basis they are only intended as examples not specific requests. Clearly, each individual has unique needs and desire to access specific page (or pages) on a frequent basis. Allowing users to selected Quick button choices beyond the current limited range would be a great opportunity to let users tailor the unit to their own workflow without making the operation more complex for anyone. This would certainly be welcomed by me as a PowerHead user but from what I have seen on the forum recently I can imagine it being even more useful for Stage users.