Posts by Southdakota

I would also be curious to know how many of the bands on that list record with them. As with all of us, there is a learning curve. I think just to get a guy like Alex Skolnick, for example, to use the Kemper live is a huge step. I mean, he has a signature Buddha tube amp. I would assume that as he and others become more comfortable with Kemper live, they may go that route in the studio as well. Maybe not. But live, I think we will see more and more big names going with Kemper.

And yeah, I wondered about the Marco Minnemann thing as well......seeing his name makes me need to watch the Paul Gilbert Spaceship One again for the 50th time! lol

I feel your pain! Price played heavily into my decision so I did not try any of the higher priced options. Also, wether you have the powered head or not obviously plays into it. Mine is not powered. So, I went directly to the cheapest and most portable option as I do haul it around on gigs. I went with the EV- zlx-12p powered monitor. Also tried the Headrush which I'm sure you have researched. My Headrush lasted one gig and died so thats when I went with the EV. I actually like the sound of the EV better. Much better actually. I can't compare to much else but I can tell you that as a gigging musician, as a guy who used to have a Mesa Roadster and cab cranked up behind me, and a guy who also uses IEM but still want some of that sound on stage and while practicing at home........I can't imagine being disappointed with this EV powered monitor! But, as with any FRFR or the like, you will hear a big difference compared to that guitar cab sound that has been stuck in your head for as long as you have played. It's different. Not worse. Just different. It only took me literally a few hours to get over that. Now when I plug into a guitar cab, it sounds harsh to me.

I should add....you will see negative reports on this EV monitor as well as almost everything else out there. But, there are built in EQ controls as well as other parameters that can be adjusted. I read a lot of "exaggerated bass" reviews. Well, then turn down the bass a bit.....pretty damn easy!

Mateo....I agree, a towel would work better. The plastic bag idea came from the night I mentioned.....that was far beyond humidity. You could actually see the mist in the air. That's when I would resort to a plastic cover of some sort. And yes, I have the same issues with guitar tuning. Humidity, large temp changes through the night. Even indoor gigs in the winter where there is a door near the stage with cold air pouring in. It's always something!!

Thanks for the info! I will just be more careful to allow more time for the Kemper to come to room temp before turning on. May even open the case and put a fan on it while we set up so it's dry when I need it.

"Front panel died due to humidity condensation inside the chassis. Sending the Kemper to Germany and £500 repair (replacement) fixed it."

This is a quote from another thread. Just wondering how common this is? I live in South Dakota and it does get rather humid over the summer months. In fact, the very first gig I played with my Kemper, it was so humid that all of the equipment was coated with a thin layer of moisture. So humid you could actually see it. In the future, I will simply cover with a plastic bag if I encounter that kind of humidity again. But, my question is , have any of you had humidity related issues? If it is crazy humid should I just play through one of my amps rather than the Kemper? I should add that I always bring my Kemper (in rack) home after a gig. I never leave it in the band trailer. I take it home and open the rack so that it can dry if it was humid or even if it came in from the cold.

Wow man.....great production! Love the easy to see and understand graphics. You obviously put a tremendous amount of time into this and it clearly shows! Some amazing tones in there! I play in E flat standard so it's a little more tricky for me to pick out which tones might work best for me but there are definitely a few in here that I will be checking out....Love that Uberschall!

This deserves it's own thread.......

I have the luxury of having a good sound man who travels with us so not sure I'm the best help for you. But, what I can tell you as a former tube amp user (Mesa Roadster miced with Sennheiser E609 sent to FOH through snake) is that the Kemper signal direct out to FOH is much cleaner...well, pristine actually...compared to the miced up tube amp. So many variables are taken out....mic placement, stage noise bleeding into the mic, etc, etc. Any decent sound person should be able to keep your sound relatively close to the sound you hear when you play through a good set of headphones or monitors at home. I think you will run into issues if you are trying to get your FOH sound to sound like the reference cab monitor you have onstage. I'm sure others will chime in on that but my thought is that you want to match FOH as closely to what you hear from your Kemper when it is not influenced by guitar speakers. If what you hear through headphones and/or monitors at home sounds great to you, assuming your PA is decent, it should sound great through FOH with minimal EQ tweaking from your soundperson. I play my guitar through wireless so I do like to walk out front occasionally during a gig and I might give some very minor advice to the sound guy but he's usually spot on.....other than, my guitar is never loud enough;)

EDIT: I should also add that I just played my first gig with an EV powered monitor in front of me rather than a guitar cab behind me and loved it. Reason being, it's close to FRFR, in otherwords, much closer to what it sounds like FOH. In this way, I feel that what I am hearing onstage is relatively close to what is going on FOH. Hope that helps!

Welcome and very cool to see a former Fractal guy here. I never used one but agonized over Kemper vs Fractal....I think I made the right choice. Also, good to see another Kiesel guy. I have a CS3 and SC90 both of which I love!

I just have to give this thing a plug. I read a lot of threads about FRFR and various cabs but this EV is very much overlooked. My experience with FRFR is limited to only the Headrush. I've also played shows through a 2x12 tube combo and a 2x12 solid state so I have a bit to compare to. The EV sounds amazing. It's lightweight. More than enough volume. And compared to the Headrush, it is much more adjustable with onboard EQ and other parameters. All for $399. Thanks @MuddySludge for the recommendation!

Definitely this. I just stumbled upon this a few days ago and used it for leads during my gig this weekend. I was never a TS fan....too much treble. But the lead booster gives a beautiful roundness but yet still cuts through. I set mine almost exactly as Frank described.

Any reason you have 1 rig per song? Are they that different, given each rig you can morph almost any setting, add up to 8 effects etc?

I personally use a few core sounds ( Clean, driven clean, Dry Rhythm, Rhythm with effects and solo) add effects during a song. I use performance mode to mange all of this, so much easier than browse..

I only have a few songs with specific sounds, but they are the exception.

I'm with you on that. I have my main performance with a clean and 4 different levels of increasing gain. Most of them are Friedman BE. Morphs on all of them with boost, delay, etc for leads. Then I do have just a couple "signature" sounds (Van Halen and Randy Rhoads) on a separate performance.

I get that it would be cool to have a different performance set up for each song but I'm in a cover band and we play about 45-50 songs a night. That might work if we never strayed from the setlist but we do. It's just not practical. Nor is it necessary since I love the tones that I use as my main rig. Not to mention, getting all of your volumes the same across every performance.....that would be hell on the sound man!

Big fan of hair metal but Autograph was always a bit more on the cheesy side in my opinion. But the solo in this song always blows me away.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just have to give a shout out to Bert for these incredible BE profiles. This is a large pack at a great price and this contains some of the best BE profiles I have heard to date. Very clean and punchy even with max gain profiles, which has been an issue I've run across with other high gain profiles....no fizz. This pack also contains many boosted profiles if you are into that.

I can tell you that running through FRFR with the monitor cab off sounds like absolute crap and is very obvious. I forgot to engage the cab the first time I hooked up my FRFR and it was so bad I was ready to send the damn monitor back. But, I have tried what you are saying through a guitar cab and while very noticeable, I wouldn't say it was bad. Just different.

@MuddySludge.....Thank you for the tip on the EV powered monitor. I absolutely love it. Compared to the Headrush, it sounds more real, natural. The Headrush had a bit of a processed quality to the sound if that makes sense. Both have great low end and not muddy. After years of playing in front of guitar cabs I have to say I love these. It did not take me long to adjust. It's a full round sound and I can stand directly in front of it at moderate volume with no ear fatigue. Guitar speakers have that harshness that these monitors don't have. Very pleased!