Posts by Chris Duncan

Has the strap breaking problem been resolved ?

New bag (I've buy my bag about one year ago) have different fittings, probably to solve breaking problems.

I heard people mentioning this and almost didn't buy the bag because of it. What I have feels safe enough, but I was wondering about the problem people experienced (most just said "it broke").

Did the fittings break, or did the fabric tear?

We spend a ton of time and money on guitars and pickups because the differences are very obvious. However, as others have noted, if your amp / sim / modeler / profiler / tin can with strings / etc. doesn't properly represent the picks , it's easy to forget about them and make selections solely on playing comfort (another significant factor with picks).

I use celluloid mediums in part because I often dig in and snap out, so how the pick bends and gives obviously matters. I can feel that when playing and I can also hear the character of the pick material itself on acoustic, and also electric if the amp lets me. The Kemper puts it all up front.

Oh, and how sloppy my playing had been with ampsims. I couldn't hide it anymore with the kemper.

Yeah, and that, too. :)

I might try the Furman AC-215A listed above.

I bought that unit to get better protection against power spikes. While it has power conditioner in the name, I don't think it really does anything in terms of the quality of the power.

Power Regulators are pretty heavy devices that are capable of generating a constant voltage from a fluctuating electricity source. Typically they transform an AC source to DC and then regenerate a "clean" and constant AC voltage. The benefit is that the power supply on the output is decoupled from the input.

Per lightbox's comments, if it's clean power you want, you're probably looking at regulators. As best I recall, for something that actually does what it says on the tin, this is not at all a cheap solution. I also don't know how portable this sort of thing is.

I’ve got 2 small children and tube amps (Perplex’D/MetroPlex/Magica & BluesMachine) that don’t get as much use these days, LoL.

If you wait until they're teenagers you'll get much more use out of them - running errands, mowing lawns, etc. :)

I have a similar background and also greatly enjoy the M Britt stuff for the same reasons. Unlike you, however, I sold every amp I had after owning this thing for a week. And zero regrets.

I'm not a cabinet builder, and I know there are places to get them, but they are ungodly expensive.

Well, since I don't mind offering up your manual labor, I'm happy to volunteer your credit cards as well. :)

Yeah, I can dig it. Custom cabinets for kitchens, etc. are not at all inexpensive and this would probably be that plus even more money. And even then, you'd end up with a long pane of glass, not exactly ideal for tracking acoustics.

And that's such a great collection of guitars I'd definitely want to show them off!

I came up on old school Fender mediums but these days all manufacturers are using a different, cheap plastic feeling material. I finally found something reasonably close to the old stuff (InTuneGP.com). The blue celluloid is ever so slightly more glassy sounding than the white ones I have, there must be some minor differences in the materials.

I particularly enjoy the M. Britt Friedman profiles and even the subtle differences between these two picks just leap out at me. I've always heard the differences in pick material with tube amps, but it feels like I'm getting even more detail and definition on the attack now then with my old Marshall, EVH, etc. Couldn't be happier.

check this :

kemper bag and remote

Raf

Great video, thanks.

This is how I pack the remote as well (although I didn't realize the fit is different in reverse, will have to try that). It's a very snug fit, so nothing flops around inside, which I like.

pillowcase, T-shirt, bubblewrap... your options are practically-endless.

I figured the leather strap provided the scratch buffer but honestly haven't looked closely. I'll probably toss a cloth in between because I like to have something to wipe the guitar and hands with and it has to go somewhere, so here it can serve double duty.

I don't use an expression pedal but I put my remote cord, alone, in the front pocket. My only concern with the entire rig is that the little plastic locking tab of a cat 5 cable is vulnerable to breakage, which is why it gets its own space here. I put my Shure GLXD wireless and its power cable in the side pocket.

I have another small shoulder bag that I use for all other cables (Wireless to Kemper, TRS / XLR for DXR-10, spares for everything). One bag over each shoulder, no problem. I could probably try to force it all into the Kemper bag, but over stuffing is just trouble waiting to happen, and I like the dedicated space to protect the remote cable.

I'm now working on a new hanger board to hold more guitars. Making two 4 footers. One for another wall with my Mandolins and Ukeleles.

I remember you talking a while back about the problems of tracking in this room because all the guitars on the wall want to sing along.

If you're into woodworking (sadly, I lack skills in that area and my friends encourage me to avoid power tools), what about a custom cabinet? Some kind of clever roll top desk or simple hinged door design that would let you leave them open normally to admire the guitars, but close them off for recording to avoid the string resonance issues?

Of course, easy for me to say, I'm not the one who has to do the work. :)

When I was gigging with the Voodu, I had two single 12" Crate / V30 cabs and would run them to the left and right of the drummer. I used x-stands similar to this one to tilt the speakers at a 45 so that the sound would be pointing at my ears and not my ankles.

I don't know if it would be a hassle for you to include an additional stand, but this would get it off the floor for bass reflections and also let you run at lower volume because it's pointing right at you. They don't cost much money and a number of brands make this style.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…w-gtr-amp-combo-amp-stand

I've got way too many profiles as it is, but Blackmore was one of my first guitar heroes so I just had to give it a try.

I haven't played Engl amps so I don't know what their characteristics are, so I just plugged in a stock, single coil Strat, picked a high gain profile and played a few bars of Burn and Mistreated. Really tight, tons of bite, very Blackmore. Definitely goes in heavy rotation folder.

Thanks, man!

Can't believe I just ordered this...

Wow, that's really beautiful woodwork.

Say, while you've got that credit card handy, I've been looking at some new guitars... :)

I did something similar a couple of hours ago... 8|

I was paying bills earlier today and was reminded of the Les Paul I bought last month. Apparently I forgot about the whole, "by the way, you do have to pay for this, you know" thing. :)