Posts by Popes666

hey thanks so much Popes666 matt heafy has also a twitch channel so idk write him in the chat maybe hew shares the porfile or at least his live tone ^^ my problem is, i found some studio singletracks but they are mixed out of different tones, and the live tone is either pretty clanky or smooth so that varied also when i looked for the sound ... so yeah :D

I'm messing this thread up with late replies! :D I did spam him about it oncw but got a vague response about checking out paid profiles from " major profilers" 8o To be honest before this virus hit and had me work double shifts on end all the time at the hospital I spent way too much time chasing tone rather than actually playing guitar... :D

... and now I barely have time to play at all lol. Guessing I could get myself another kemper with all that extra wage and play true stereo :P Perhaps that'll get me closer and playing more 8o8o8o

I hope all of you stay safe out there chaps!

For what it’s worth, I have the profile used on vengeance. It was a profile done by Colin Richardson and Andy sneap: 5153 into a krank 4x12 with a db112 and an AT 250DE I believe. That is the tone on vengeance, and was the profile they were using live for the last few years. The tone by itself was a bit dark for Corey’s taste, so he has done some EQ to boost some of the higher frequencies and cut some low mids. It works well with Matt’s tone because of his 81s being brighter than Corey’s blackouts. They are now using a well known profilers profiles live. I won’t Say whose, But he does tons of amps, mostly high gain, and they are all merged format :). However live, no cabs are used on stage by trivium

Aye, read that on so many different forums and how divided people was about some guy "bragged" about it. ^^ I think he tried to make a point and to give people an idea of how it sounded but each to their own I guess. 8o I wonder if they still use that now that Matt uses fishmans :P

Haha. no... people with ears don’t use sinmix’s stuff 8o8o8o8o8o8o8o

Noticed now that I never replied to this haha! I know I read somewhere that they used the official fortin profiles, at least for a while? :/ I know a lot of people praise Josh Middletons 2nd profile pack. Haven't tried that yet but I guess they're using some juicy stuff with some extra secret magic sauce 8)

This can be done for sure and I have, the issue is the guitar used is a big part of the sound.

I'd cut my sack off for a profile like the one Trivium use live. I have the exact same guitar as Matthew loaded with fishmans and I'd honestly cash out a lot to come 95% close lol. Best I've come watching his streams on twitch and on youtube videos is 80% max. I know how you play the guitar is also a big part of the sound but I should be able to get really close to it with open notes ?

In conclusion: if you're not getting good tone out of your Kemper, and there is nothing wrong with the unit, and you have decent monitors, then you are what's wrong. Either you don't know how to tweak to get to where you want, or are starting off with the wrong profile.

Can't rule out that there isn't anything wrong with my unit as I haven't had my friend come over and A/B his and mine.

I've spoken to quite a few of the "major" profiler guys and had a few of them reply.

I even A/B'd recordings with one of them and even though we used the very same guitar and audio interface, there was a major difference in tone.

Both via phone recordings and via DAW. So I'm thinking there is something wrong with my unit and will return it for them to look at when the Covid situation passes.

Hey man, i have the same problem. Do you fix it?

Not yet. Will send it back when this covid business settles. :/

Hi, have you already checked your SPDIF-Output Settings?

Yeah I did. Compared my recordings to a friends (He uses an Apollo Twin and a fender tele) and there's a huge difference in sound. I tried those profiles with a tele of mine that I got later on and his has A LOT more warmth and ... Feel? Mojo? to it. Gonna see if I can get him to come here and A/B our units through my 6i6 2nd gen and HS8's.

I think the sound is better via a cab, but it's still quite bland and not remotely close. Feels like there is a compressor in the input no matter which guitar I use and every profile comes out either harsh or flobby in the low end.

If anyone has experienced this and SOLVED it, I'd love to hear from you.

I had a few ideas about my room being the reason but I have now properly sound treated it for almost as much as the kemper costs and it remains yet the same... ;(

I really suggest a total reset and clean new firmware on it ... maybe it occurs when selecting a buggy rig ?

Raf

I have done several resets, both factory, init and restore from backup without it helping :/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is another sample. Not using S/PDIF for this one.

First profile is TillS RECTO VINTAGE by Till Schleicher.

Second one is the Bogner Shiva Heavy by r.u.sirius on the rig exchange.

No changes to the profiles, only adjusted the input sense for the guitar.

Both using a Jackson Pro Dinky with stock pups in drop C#.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qsfz7ao6j75aty/Telejack.wav?dl=0

Do these profile sound like this to you guys?

Hey man, i have the same problem. Do you fix it?

I haven't fixed it yet. I've skipped SPDIF now which does make a slight difference to the better, but still have that "same amp with different gain levels" feeling to the sound I'm getting =(

Hi, have you already checked your SPDIF-Output Settings?

I sure have, tried all sorts of different settings to no vail :(

I have tried a lot of different settings without any improvement using SPDIF and I just now went into my PC to check the sample rate (I have changed this before without any difference) only to find that I can't choose a sample rate above 44.1 kHz :/ Wonder what that's about... Will look further into it tomorrow.

Glad to hear that it worked for you however, I'm still waiting to get blown away :)

Glad to hear that I'm not alone and at the same time sorry to hear you're having the same issue :(
    I don't think it matters if you use XLR or not as long as it's set to INST in the Focusrite Control software. :)

I use my kemper through a PPC212 closed back with a mooer baby bomb, so I'm starting to wonder if something is really off with my kemper. I've had a lot of freezes as of late and I can no longer make a backup to a USB as it freezes my unit. Also getting a lot of insane unnatural gain on clean profiles that only disappears if I reboot my kemper. ||

My first impression was that of listening to the same amp played on two significantly different guitars. That may be nowhere near reality, just how it struck me, but no, they don't sound the same.

Yeah, and I mean all three are high gain amplifiers, but they all have certain charactaristics to them which in real life is quite easy to pick up, whether it's mic'd up or not. I had some contact with kemper support a few months back where they reamped some stuff and it turned out really close; but not identical. :sleeping:

I remember at one point I thought I didn't touch anything significant I'd do a factory reset ... then I went "HUH" why is everything sounding so good all of a sudden ? ...

Try that :)

Yeah I've done that a few times, when I booted my kemper for the first time I had strange noises going on. That's whats leading me to think something might be off, I've done several resets the last couple of months with no change in tone :/

I'm fully aware that different guitars, pickups, monitors, even cables will have an effect on how the profile translates through ones equipment. I usually dial in the tone to my liking to suit my gear, but keep getting a rather noisy signal even if I lower the gain a tiny tad or if I up the "master" noise gate or set a noise stomp. I've tried different power outlets and even a furman power conditioner to no vail.
    I have made a recording with 3 different guitars now, with three samples per guitar and profile. From what I can tell listening via both monitors and headphones is that the recording sounds slightly better when played back compared to how it sounds when recording, only through my headphones though, not the monitors for some reason. :/

I couldn't find any "guitar only" samples on any of the profiles I have, but the one with Dan Sugerman is the closest I can come to hearing the actual profile without all too much stuff happening, see the link below;

https://tonecratevault.com/col…n-signature-kemper-bundle

Here is the recording I made, sorry for the sloppy playing but I'm recovering from a MTB-accident a few months back where I hurt both my wrists;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzl4…crateDan3guitars.wav?dl=0

First 3 samples are with my EC-1000 (EMG 81 & EMG 60 humbuckers).

Next 3 samples is my Gibson Studio 2018 (490R and 498T humbuckers).

Last 3 samples is with my S7G Ola Englund Signature ( Bare Knuckle Aftermath humbuckers).

(Following the same order as Dan in the video, using the uberschall -> powerball -> 5153-profile for 3 riffs with each guitar then changing guitar.)

A friend of mine came along with his new PRS MT15 and that sounded -totally- different from all the different profiles I have of that specific amp, even with various DI profiles of it hooked directly to my PPC212CB, tried it with both a SD powerstage 170 and my Mooer baby bomb.

I guess something must be off if a ‎545 € amp blows my kemper away sound-wise when I have profiles of amps that sound stellar in comparsion with the MT15. :/

I agree on tweaking and listening untill you can't tell the difference between what sounds good or bad but I doubt it's that when I've felt the same way each time I've booted it up :(

You might be right on the northern lights interfering haha! 8o

Here is a quick recording I did using 5 different high gain profiles in the following order with my EC-1000 loaded with EMG's;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9ss…gainprofilestest.wav?dl=0

1. Marshall JCM800 STL Will Putney

2. SinMix JCM800_02

3. SinMix 5150_M01

4. SinMix_MarkV_01

5. 5150 Ld Pv SM7 TOTA Studio

To my ear none of these profiles sound 99% like the real amplifiers, it sounds more like a spider iv with a metal zone pedal with really bad settings.Should I get my ears checked or do you guys agree? :/

I appreciate your advice, I will take my kemper to the store sometime during the weekend if I have the time. :)

Pretty sure I saw DXR10's, Adam A3X's and A8X's in the store last time I was there grabbing a guitar but I could be mistaking. :)

EDIT: All samples are non-EQ'd profiles and the input/output light on the kemper stayed green the entire time and the 6i6 software never hit yellow or red.

Here is my reamp. It sounds exactly the same (your reamp was quieter ) and it sounds good. To compare put two tracks in DAW and match the levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2fa…20LL-%20ChugChug.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb9g…ne%20Mister%20A4.wav?dl=0

The last one is not my favourite - I would add some compression in the amp section.

Sorry for totally missing out on your response DamianGreda . I agree that the recordings sound identical apart from the level.

However, I don't know if it's my HS8's as I haven't tried my kemper through anything else than those and my PPC212, but I somehow don't hear the difference between profiles, high gain or not. To my ears through my monitors all different profiles sound like they're from the very same profile but it's been EQ'd to sound different. It's not like "This is a mic'ed up 5150 and this is a mic'ed up AC15." if you get what I mean?

I can't hear the characteristics of different amplifiers at all, whether it's a clean profile of a JCM800- or a '68 custom twin reverb. I tried playing a sine wave and there is absolutely a lot of differences when I move around the room, but even if I play a recording while walking around the room I still get that feeling that my kemper contains one profile that has been EQ'd, to have more or less bottom end, more or less gain. Profiles captured with different mics still act like this. Have I gotten the whole concept of the KPA all wrong?

For what it’s worth, I have the profile used on vengeance. It was a profile done by Colin Richardson and Andy sneap: 5153 into a krank 4x12 with a db112 and an AT 250DE I believe. That is the tone on vengeance, and was the profile they were using live for the last few years. The tone by itself was a bit dark for Corey’s taste, so he has done some EQ to boost some of the higher frequencies and cut some low mids. It works well with Matt’s tone because of his 81s being brighter than Corey’s blackouts. They are now using a well known profilers profiles live. I won’t Say whose, But he does tons of amps, mostly high gain, and they are all merged format :). However live, no cabs are used on stage by trivium

I have totally missed this response VESmedic . Yeah I read about that on some other forum a few months back if I recall correctly. I saw tons of guys begging for it but as far as I am concerned, a wizard never reveals his secrets ;)

I saw them at Pustervik in Gothenburg ... a year ago or something like that. Always putting up a good show although the crowd was rather mediocre. I'm going to make a guess but I don't want the answer, but I'd say it's probably SinMix 8o

Hmm... I have the SPDIF volume set to -10 dB last time I checked (not near my KPA atm) . :)

I've set my HS8's to +4dB (12 o'clock) and usually set the monitor volume control on the 6i6 to about 3 o'clock when recording and playing. :/

Perhaps there's another KPA user near you so you can compare in person.

Or, as the OP mentioned his memory of the sound in the store, could he perhaps take his KpA into the store and compare side by side there?

I'm afraid I'm the only one using a KPA in close proximity. Did reach out in a local FB group so fingers crossed. :)

The store of the two in my town only sells the KPA from their website nowadays ;(