Posts by deadman42

Okay, let's start: Turn your Kemper on first... (sorry, couldn't resist afer your last remark... and humour always helps in such situations....8o)

Now seriously: Welcome to the forum and have fun with your Kemper. Recording and re-amping via SPDIF works like a charm for me. So let me try to help by just firing out some thoughts or questions which may help:

• Which Kemper? Toaster or Rack? Then the Kemper needs to be Master in the SPDIF clock configuration! Stage? Then it shouldn't matter but one of the units needs to be Master, the other can't be Master then.
    • Wired the SPDIF correctly? Kemper out to Clarett in? Kemper in to Clarett out in case you need clock signal from the Clarett?
    • SPDIF output volume should be at 0.0 per default.
    • Tried different profile(s)?
    • Have you tried to set the SPDIF out to Git / Stack for instance to see if signal comes then? Advantage that the pure Git signal would come then as well and then the profile would not play a role in the game.

Hard to find more for me as it is pretty straight forward - at least in the Kemper itself. As I don't have the Clarett and Logic I can not speak for that. Have you made sure that the routing in the Clarett is appropriate? And that Logic is grabbing the right input channel, i.e. the one coming from SPDIF in the interface? Routing can be complicated.

Fingers crossed that you'll figure it out quickly....

Hi, this was a good idea looking for a Bonamassa-like sound.

Yep, the AC20 rig mentioned above is really one of the greatest juwels around the there. It's incredibly versatile.

Too much gain is destroying the character of a profiled amp, chords sound dirty and very artificial. That's how I do see it.

I'm fine with your point here. But that's now purely a question of taste and not of the quality of profiles as such, right? It would be the same if two people tweak the actual physical amp. One would go for more again, another for less. So your original title of the thread is a bit provocative in my point of view.

But I see that you are going through the learning curve most of us had with the immense amount of available rigs. You need to find what suits your taste and needs no matter if it is free or commercial stuff. And that can take some time. I actually enjoy this process quite a lot. Getting to play so many amps which I would never had a chance to grab physically. Very inspiring :)

I'm astonished, that an ampmanufactor profiles his amps and sell the profiles.

There are some of those in the market. Victory Amps is another one. Actually I am waiting for more amp manufacturers jumping on a new business model: Building a prototype of a new amp, creating the profiles, selling them - and never sell any instances of the physical amp. I found one or two pages in the net where something like this was offered.

In many cases playing at home at relatively low volume makes people prefer much more gain, bass and treble. Whereas, playing live at higher volume tends to favour less gain, bass and treble but more mids. i know that’s a massive generalisation but there is an element of truth in it.

Quite a big element I'd say. The "loudness" effect makes it possible, Fletcher/Munson can explain it. But many people start exploring the Kemper on bedroom level I guess. The wisdom comes later after some rehearsals and gigs or alternatively recordings.

That’s why the profiles by a certain country player from Nashville and a session ace from the Netherlands are so good.

That's exactly my experience as well. And I have to admit that it took me some time to understand the beauty of those profiles (like the ones you mention here nicely, i.e. MB + BM :)). But once you play loud ad rehearsal or even gig volume it pays off.

a lot of the tone is in the players fingers not what gear they have

So true :thumbup:

I owned some gear during the years, mainly ENGL and Mesa Boogie valve amps, 2x12 and 4x12 cabs with massive weight and naturally some great pedals. At the same time I always had some extra modelling gear or preamps for studio use. I always found my tone with the gear and never had the feeling to be totally off what I wanted. Nevertheless especially we guitar players can be gear junkies (if the money is there for it).

I observed the Kemper-mania for quite some time before I decided to go for it. And I couldn't be happier as with this machine. So much more versatility and the chance to play (high quality) amps which I otherwise would never had a chance to grab. That's incredibly inspiring and adds so much to my creative processes and to my sound quality live and in the studio. And it is more or less only the one machine I need to carry whereever I go.... so cool 8)

Nate, she can be proud of you. Well done. I hear lots of great influence from Black Sabbath and Alice In Chains. Very cool flow in the track. Like the overall sound, cool thing. Thoughts are with you in these times.

I'm wanting to use external footswitches to turn on my stomps on my Kemper. I bought a couple off Amazon with LEDs. I specifically wanted ones with LEDs so I could know when the effect is on or off. Seems simple enough but it's not apparently.

Maybe a footswitch with separate power from a battery is a suitable solution for you. I own one of these and it does a good job. It is a Nobels FS-2L.

Nobels FS-2L on eBay DE

They are pretty outdated but obviously available used for small money. I never tried mine with the Kemper but could try if necessary to make sure it works in the desired way.