Posts by deadman42

I use folders and colouring. I have a specific folder for all the clean/DI signals and few folders for either grouping of rythm/lead/acvoustic guitars etc. or for grouping of different sounds, e.g. I have a folder which bundles the high gain sounds and another one which contains the same guitar tracks with low to medium gain sounds. This way I can easiy compare by just switching complete folders to mute/unmute. Great for acoustic guitar versions as well.

Basically I always try to keep my core list of tracks which wil appear in the mix as small and condensed as I can. Sorting other tracks away in the folders so that they don't disturb. Important also (for me as a Cubase user) to keep the mixer clean in that way.

In reamping there is however the tiny issue of getting recorded level and reamping input level the same or your sound will be different...

Yeah that is indeed a tricky thing and that was my fear as well when I started working with the KPA about 8 month ago. I always wanted to have consistent capability to re-amp and was not sure in the beginning how that would go with the KPA. From my ReAmping box (Palmer Daccapo) I knew the issue you're describing quite well. The level was never right.

With the KPA and some experience now I have to say that it goes quite well and the issue does not appear in my workflow at all. I'm trying to record consistently via SPDIF so only one A/D conversion at the very beginning of the signal chain (Guitar In @ KPA). After that and with careful view on the level controls in my DAW (Cubase Pro in my case) I can re-amp with exactly the same level via SPDIF again - even without having to tweak the reamp sense control (which to my impression is a very good thing but once necessary to tweak here the consistency goes away).

As an experiment I re-amped some tracks in the beginning with the exact same sound which I used to track it so I could compare them (tracked with a sound vs. re-amped with the same sound). Close enough for me I have to say. Could not sense any noticeable differences in the gain.

Just my two cents though... can not speak for other setups or DAWs etc

Same here. Performances are great way to save song-related and specially tweaked rigs and sounds. I do a lot of recording and re-amping. Always strive to create recording performances per song and to save them together with the DAW project files. In case I need to change something during the mixing process it takes just seconds to have the right sound loaded.

The KPA is such a versatile tool... just love it...

Indeed. Since I own the KPA I spent a lot more time playing... that's because it is such fun and joy to explore sounds and (for me) to record in other quality dimensions. And although I spend a lot of time in trying things out I still highly appreciate what the KPA does to the professional workflow as dave5150 just described it. If you want to get things done quickly in a production process (and you have sufficient knowledge) then that's absolutely possible.

I am still in the middle of that honeymoon period as well. And I have not even tried a lot of the built in effects. Still digging great profiles which form my basic sound. Comparing free ones from the RM and some commercial ones which I recently bought. But more and more I go back to a few which I really love and all the new ones coming up will be compared to this small set. Getting quicker with this over time.

For recording the re-amping capabilities are really great. But I found myself re-amping the same guitar track 5 to 10 times with different profiles. Even with ones which don't sound similar and bring the whole track a bit into a different style. It is a great learning curve to find out what works in my mixes. And what not. Next time I will decide quicker as well. Creative tool though.

Hi Kemper community,

I am around here for some time now so I thought time to say hello to everybody. I am Michael from Germany, living not much more than 100km away from the city where the Kemper company is located.

Bought my KPA (rack version, non-powered) in January 2019 after long time of thinking about the invest. It is pure luxury for me so it took some time to conclude. Although I played some studio jobs and many gigs in my younger years today music is mainly a (very intense and time consuming) hobby for me. Still gigging with my band and recording / producing a lot of stuff. Sometimes for others as well.

I love the KPA and what it does for me. Such an inspiration for song writing, recording, mixing and playing with the band. So great. Using the sound and the feel of amps which I would have never been able to get hold of is really a driver for my creativity. I use the KPA as well as a studio effects unit. Reamping other things than guitars and basses and applying the phantastic effects opens up interesting space for sound design.

This forum is great as well. The spirit of the people here and the tone in the discussions is what I like very much. Very professional. The community approach with sharing of profiles and learning from each other. Very cool. Highly appreciate the time and effort many of the contributors put into this.

Thanks a lot & cheers

Michael

I experience the same behaviour here from time to time. Typically when I decide later to switch two rigs in a performance. It seems then that this change is not persistent. Or even worse the names change but the sounds remain the same. Haven't found a clear way to replicate this behaviour so it seems very random to me.

My workaround: I save performances frequently to the RM into a dedicated folder. In case the issue happens I delete the performance from the Kemper and import the saved one back into the Kemper. Usually after that the flaw is gone in that performance.

My feeling is that it could have to do with switching between rigs in the performances via Midi or Remote, not sure though.

Happy for help as well... thanks & cheers

Michael

mdan's Driftwood Merged profile is one of my alltime favourites from the RE.... great heavy tone from a Driftwood Mini Nightmare amp.... very good sound for rythm guitars as well as for solos.

I merged it alternatively with GB's 4x12 Bogus cab from the GB Bogus X-tasy profile which comes with the Kemper. Small tweaks (Treble and Presence a bit down) and the profile plays so well with treble humbuckers in my PRS Custom 22 as well as with the ones in my Fender Billy Corgan Strat.

Thanks a lot mdan!

Actually I am not a 7s player myself.... but I like good metal sounds as well. I found the SinMix profiles are quite good quality and quite versatile. You can check out a big bunch of those in a big free package. Besides typical stuff like the Mesa Dual and Triple Recto there are interesting amps like the FendMess and the Raven. Fit very well for me for metal shred.

Find the free package here: http://www.sinmix.pl/free-stuff/