Posts by deadman42

After a break, I released another song last weekend.

In style maybe a bit different than my previous songs, or what do you think?

Stefan, great tune, well composed and well recorded. Very creative. I like the dynamics in the song and the lot of fine details. Rythmic delay guitars have always attracted me so much throughout my whole life :)

As writers, we have to learn to not be too-precious about our parts. We must be willing to remove some altogether, and shorten intros and so on. :/

So true but so hard to achieve. Indeed that's my experience as well and indeed the feedback from third parties is quite valuable regarding this point. They don't feel the sweat and pain it cost you to make a particular part or intro or solo or whatever. They just see what it does to the tune overall. Can be tough but mostly it helps to focus on the key aspects of the song.

Yep, totally get your point. Lots of aspects around it. I would think pricewise should the stuff be competitive otherwise it wont work. But most probably you would sell much more profile (packs) than any actual amps. So the calculation would need to consider all this and come up in a mixed calculation. I find the Victory example quite appealing. Instead of leaving the profile market to others they jump on it on their own and do both. The physical amps and the respective profiles.

Also, why dont amp vendors create and sell official branded profiles? Nice way to try before you buy the actual amp.

Victory is actually doing this. In their shop on the website you can buy official profiles of a lot of their physical amps, e.g. the Kraken. Nevertheless I think most vendors still see the Kemper technology as a threat to their business rather than taking a chance to use it for promotion or as a new business model. I would expect that clever amp builders will develop a new way of selling their ideas: Just building one prototype of a new amp and then just sell the profiles instead of starting mass production of the actual amp.

But as I alluded to earlier, some amps may be designed n such a way that the power amp isn’t a major part of the tone.

I think there is definitely an influence. At least when we are talking about valve amps. Some amp gurus even say that there is a major difference if pre and poweramp are not in one unit and thus do have separate power supplies, e.g. typical rack mount combintion with separate pre and poweramp sounds different from a head with similar circuit. I always wanted to try this out with a Dual Rectifier head and the combo consisting of RectoPre and poweramp which claimed to sound exactly the same as the head. Never got hold though of both at the same time.

Anyway for the profiles I consider the Kemper to be purely a preamp when I run it with a valve poweramp and so I would rather not like the colouring of another poweramp in the profile too much.

try the Morgan AC20 rig from rmpacheco (free on the Rig Exchange). It's my #1 (tweaked for me, of course), and I know that's it the #1 for others on here too.

Guilty ^^

Alongside JHL's "Fender Twin Reverb" (also on RigExchange and for me extremely good with pedals) and many more.... go ahead TempleOfFive and try things out. There are other threads here in this forum which give some guidance regarding well perceived profiles, e.g. the "hidden gems" thread in the free rigs section.

Hi and welcome. Have fun in the forum and with your Kemper. You will love it... I am sure... I do love mine :)

Re question one: Yes, if it sounds good and you like it then it is worth profiling. Nevertheless when you get the Kemper you will start a journey through a lot of profiles which come with the unit itself and with the RigExchange as well as a lot of free and commercial offerings. Digging through this you will learn a bit what you like besides your current setup and maybe also how to best recreate your current setup with existing profiles. There are really good ones out there...

I can't tell you how much I learned in the past month about amps which i had not really on my list before I got the Kemper. What a universe of good sounds :)

Actually I personally like the fact that Kemper is not such a big company and that they are vfery much focused on their work around the profiler and a very limited portfolio of versions of it. It still is a unique product, nothing similar out there in that special kind. I think it is not so easy to address bigger market with low profile versions of such a unique product without getting in some risks around quality, reputation and challenges with the company's resources.

Hi and welcome!

Not such a noob question as you might think man and you got the correct answer already by yourself as Andy_T-V already confirmed. So all good. Just my two cents here: The mixer gives you all the freedom to create the sound by carefully adjusting the amount of sound which comes from the two mics. That's another variable in the game besides mic placement and so on. Phase issues might be a problem then. Hard to spot sometimes. I often check that by looking at the visualization in my DAW.

Finally: I do use an older mixer for my monitoring set up. But that's a cheap one with rather lo-fi and colouring pre-amps so I would never ever want to have that one in my signal chain for profiling. Using my channel strip from SPL (just in a one mic configuration) adds nicely to the overall profile quality.

but I'd like to learn and experiment

Same here. So it is definitely always worth to just give it a try. Have fun!

Ich benutze für meinen unpowered Rack Kemper ein Double Door 19" case von AWEO. 3HE, also oben und unten knapp, sprich nur wenige mm. Bisher keinerlei Probleme und sehr pragmatisch. Endstufe und anderen Kram hab ich im separaten Rack, da ich das nicht immer brauche.

Also hinten zu, aber dafür mit einem Anschlussterminal

Sicher elegant, aber da wären mir zu viele Anschlüsse ans Terminal zu führen (inkl. USB, SPDIF usw.). Und was ist, wenn du doch mal an die ran musst, die nicht nach vorne geführt sind? Stelle ich mir eher aufwändig vor...

Thanks Ingolf for sharing your experience and all the details. I am still on the edge of deciding to go FRFR as well instead of moving my ENGL PRO 4x12 with its ridiculous fiftysomething kilogram around. That thing sounds great but you need a bunch of good friends to carry it from stage to stage for you :P

The much I love the "in your face" thingy as well it is most probably reasonable and clever to reduce that a bit in order to make your sound guy happy as well... best sound for the audience rules :)

Okay. Maybe you have accidentally created a feedback loop. Make sure that the track where you record the reamped signal is muted during the recording and monitoring of the live signal is not on (small loudspeaker symbol of the track inspector is set to off). And the track is not routed into the Kemper input again.

And the unpowered one can naturally be connected to wide variety of poweramps, especially good thing if you want to go stereo.

I bought the Kemper 8 month ago, rack version, unpowered. Mostly for studio work and naturally for practicing (and learning). A few days later I was a little in doubt if the powered version would have been the better choice in order to be even more flexible and quickly connect any cabs. But I definitely did the right thing and today I am so happy with my unpowered Kemper.

Using it with my ENGL valve poweramp and two Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12 in one configuration and with a ENGL Pro 4x12 which is capable to go stereo as well.

For your FRFR you are good to go. Have fun!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I also can not immediately see what is going wrong. Just my two cents: I do a lot of reamping with the Kemper and Cubase (Pro, 7.5-10). I see the Audiofuse has the ability to connect via SPDIF with the Kemper. That's the way I do it and it makes life easy and conveniant as the last A/D conversion is the one when the guitar goes into guitar in of the Kemper.

During the reamping I fully stay digital then which to my impression saves a lot of quality and prevents issues, e.g. in the levels and volume of the dry signal (which I by the way always record in parallel whenever guitars are tracked).

Maybe you should review the reamping guides for use with Kemper. At least there is very good one here in the forum (Step-by-step-reamping-guide). And I think I saw one on Youtube as well which was quite good.