Posts by deadman42

Should work as well but I rarely tried it because guitar speakers tend to need some higher volume to sound good. Too much for my room here.

In comparison to PA sound please consider this: If your profile which goes to the PA has for instance a 4x12 cab with V30s in it and you are using a 1x12 with Jensen or a Greenback at home then they will certainly sound more different. I use an ENGL PRO 4x12 with V30s in the rehearsal room. So I focus on profiles which use a similar cab in order to have them sound pretty consistent.

Hi Max, welcome and have fun with your Kemper!

What do you use to get closest to the P.A. sound?

At home I am using it with my active monitors which I use anyway for my studio-related work - so it sounds similar as in the studio. That's different from PA sound as the "earth-shaking" aspect of high volume is missing to a certain extent. But on the other hand side you can hear everything as detailed as it is. Not the feeling of a real amp in front of you though - but I understand that's anyway not what you're after.

2. I haven't quite figured out the preset saving system of the Kemper yet.

Please make yourself familiar with Performances. These are made of rigs ("presets") but can combine them ultra flexible and they can save changes in the rigs without changing the original rig. Simply create a new performance and put rigs in it - or the same rig multiple times and then change the single instances in the respective slots of the Performance. Might sound complicated when you never done it but it is actually very straight forward.

I will appreciate the inevitable funny answers,

So your humour is not gone. Very good. Humour keeps life nice... keep it up. And there are no dumb questions at all.

Regarding your problem not sure if I can help: Am I right that you are doing all this directly with your Kemper and not by using a Laptop/PC with the RigManager on it? I use the RigManager all the time to create and change my Performances and (with one little exception) it works extremely well and intuitive including copy/paste in different flavours.

So far I never did it without the RigManager so others here might be in a better position to help out. Anyway I would not expect that it is too complicated for the cases you describe.

This worked except the new rig had all the previous amp, cab, EQ, and FX settings

Sounds to me like the "Lock" button was activated then as this is even a wanted behaviour from time to time. Works as designed. So please make sure that nothing is "locked" when you change the rig.

I read something that says that the Kemper needs to be the digital master and my recording interface needs to get it's wordclock from that. Anyone know if that's accurate?

Yes, that's true. Most probably you will get noise (static clicks etc.) if you do it the other way round and the Kemper is not the master.

Regarding your sound issues i am wondering a bit as I do not experience that here. Vice versa I am happy that the last A/D conversion in the chain is the guitar input on the Kemper. After that I never leave the digital sphere until sound from Kemper or DAW hits my monitors again. Doing a lot of re-amping with the Kemper, all via SPDIF and it works so well.

Fingers crossed that you'll find the issue for the differences you hear.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your Kemper and with learning around it.

I totally agree with paults explanation. That's my experience as well. And you will find a lot of profile offerings (commercial as well as free ones and on the RigExchange) which recreate the sound of an amp (plus cab etc.) in slightly different combinations. Either settings on the amp or cabs or mic positions are slightly changed. The authors then typically try to indicate that in the naming with different numbers, abbreviations and so on. Sometimes tricky to find out what they mean and in good offerings you will often find a document which explains the respective naming convention behind it.

In the end it is definitely a matter of taste. I tried a bunch of commercial profiles over time and most of them just did not match my taste. Regardless of the fact that they are most probably created in a rather professional way and with appropriate gear and by people who know what they do.

So I tend to agree that the shortest way to good profiles is to obtain them from professional sources like studios etc. - nevertheless trying out a lot I still find a lot of good profiles on the RigExchange for instance which are rather made by enthusiasts who achieve good results as well. Just takes more time to find the hidden gems there. Unless you follow the thread on that here in the forum.

Hi Jeff, I did it with my ENGL 530 pre and with my Two Notes LeLead. Worked pretty well for both without any additional boxes or other stuff. I profiled both of them with and without the integrated speaker emulations. For the profiles without the speaker emulation I merged them with other cabinets from different profiles to my liking. Stil open to try these with my poweramp and guitar cab but I am pretty confident that this will work out well too.

Welcome and have fun in the forum here and with your Kemper!

Regarding clean Fenders I love the "Fender Twin Reverb" rig by JHL on the RigExchange. rmpacheco's "Morgan AC20" rig mentioned by Zappledan earlier is a very good choice as well.

MBritt ( lonestargtr ) Driftwood pack works for me. Cheap as chips as well..

https://mbritt.com/product/d-wood-pack-39-profiles/

I had that pack on my radar for some time but I am a "slow buyer". Picked it up yesterday evening after you reminded me with your post. Thanks for that. Very useful for me. The Driftwood pack gives a bit more versatility than the single profile from mdan on the RE. Which I still find infinitely attractive for my tone :)

Damn, man. Now you got me jealous. You got Corgan strat.

Thanks man, kind words. Actually I appreciate Billy Corgan's work very much but he was never one of my guitar heroes so I was not striving to achieve "his sound" when I bought the guitar. Rather I was hunting for a good hardtail strat which are so hard to find to my impression. So I bought it used for relatively high price and changed the treble pickup which I did not like at all. Meanwhile I really fell in love with the guitar. It is so versatile and brings out the differences of several amps and rigs in the Kemper quite well. Especially well also for medium gain profiles.

Hi and welcome.

I bought the Kemper 8 month ago, rack version, unpowered. Mostly for studio work and naturally for practicing (and learning). A few days later I was a little in doubt if the powered version would have been the better choice in order to be even more flexible and quickly connect any cabs. But I definitely did the right thing and today I am so happy with my unpowered Kemper.

If you want to play loud there so many good options: Powered monitors, powered cabs, stereo poweramps (the powered Kemper is mono only!), any type of guitar amps and cabinets and so on and so forth.... and with good profiles and the appropriate configuration all of these options can sound really good. Meanwhile I tried all of them at least to learn what happens. Still thrilled about the results :)

Hi and sorry for not being of great help here. Actually I have exactly the same questions. I own the ENGL Pro 4x12/V30 as well. It's a monster (you need good friends to carry it from stage to stage for you) but sounds so well....

Nevertheless I am looking into FRFR pieces as well to be more versatile and to have great sound with lower volume as well. The key questions remains: Can it cut through as the ENGL monster does it?

Most people will probably confirm but I feel that there is no way around trying it out for myself...

Hi Max, welcome to the forum and the Kemper family.

Despite the fact that the KPA sounds incredibly well out of the box and with many of the stock profiles as well as with one which are freely available there is not really a way around digging through a bunch of profiles which suit your needs. Either on RigExchange or from the free/paid ones around in the market. As Jeff rightly said: There is no one size fits all :)

And be prepared to find rigs which suit your needs quite well but are not from the amplifiers you mentioned above. That's the beauty of the KPA.... you can learn so much about amps you never had (and in my case: I would have never had on my list to try).

Anyway: Bogner Ecstasy.... there is a good one in the KPA already (Guido Bungenstock is really a go to person for that kind of sound). You'll find more in the free pack of the SinMix guys from Poland. They have lots of good metal amps profiled. Extremely good pack to find out a bit more about some amps.

The Roland JC rarely came to my attention. What I like for a wide clean sound with a good portion of effects is Connie Andreszka's ENGL INVADER CH1 HG profile from the RigExchange. That's a great one for pickings with huge sound.

Plexi: I like the ToneJunkie SL Plexi stuff, I found a few free ones of those and RickyStorti's Marshall Plexi 1959 from the RigExchange goes well for me too.

Hope that helps.

Greetings from Germany as well.

Good source for metal oriented rigs are the guys from SinMix in Poland. Just google for "SinMix Kemper". They offer a freebie package with an incredible amount of rigs from different amps which are good for metal. You certainly can find some good ones there. Lots of YT videos there as well to show the sound characteristics.

Welcome HT!

mdan's Driftwood Merged profile is one of my alltime favourites from the RigExchange.... great heavy tone from a Driftwood Mini Nightmare amp.... very good sound for rythm guitars as well as for solos.

I merged it alternatively with GB's 4x12 Bogus cab from the GB Bogus X-tasy profile which comes with the Kemper. Small tweaks (Treble and Presence a bit down) and the profile plays so well with treble humbuckers in my PRS Custom 22 as well as with the ones in my Fender Billy Corgan Strat.

Effects would need to be added of course based on your ideas mentioned above.