Posts by Kahuna59

Wow. Still don't understand the process but it sure turned out beautiful!

I'm curious, how does a chrome finish on wood age? Is it expected to be tolerant to temperature change cycles over the years or would you expect eventual cracking like nitro?

Regardless, first class job!

Sorry, not my latest guitar but funny as hell and people who know me would not have been surprised at all if I had actually tried this.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It's a somewhat common occurrence on guitars with a sharper neck angle and the tailpiece set really low or flush with the body. I've read about it for years but this is the first one I have actually seen. The pic is not of my bridges, just an example of the phenomenon.

Wow. Looks like a car ran over it.

This coming from someone who is already perfectly satisfied with the capabilities and sounds in the current Kemper regardless of potential future improvements. I think these latest surprise improvements are great and I welcome them. It's like owning a Ferrari and every once in a while the factory decides to give you a new and improved engine or transmission for free. The Profiler has already eliminated a whole category of gear purchases for me, saving $$$ and carrying costs, i.e, back pain. I'm definitely a fan. In my nearly 5 decades of playing and buying gear the Kemper continues to be my best investment. The improvements keep coming and the price remains at a comfortable level of zero. CK, I thank you, and more importantly, my wife thanks you (although she suspects the money saved by not buying amps and pedals is somehow getting diverted to more guitars).

yep, really no magic there

Yeah, won't make you play or sound any better but I dig old stuff. Like touching it, like playing it, like wondering about it's story. I also restore old vintage radios and amps. To me they're time machines, that's where the magic is.. Wouldn't spend that kind of money though. Luckily, stuff I bought when younger and held onto is now vintage....just like me.

The first picture shows the instrument in the process of having its fingerboard completely removed. The second picture shows the neck to body joint with small filler pieces of wood utilised to make a readily available neck made for another model fit the model that was waiting to be made next.

Yikes! That's not right. Another reason to never take any of mine apart. I'd be pretty disappointed to discover such work. There's a certain quality/configuration expectation when you buy a Gibson that's based on price and legacy. Things like that should be disclosed and have a price reflecting the mod. Otherwise trust and brand reputation suffer, as it has.

It's sad that Gibson has so many self-inflicted wounds. I may be foolish but I still haven't given up on them, I buy and hope for the best. When they're good, they're really good. But I've had my share of poorly installed binding, bad nuts, poor solder jobs, orange peal nitro, razor blade frets and trap inlays that were proud of the fretboard - on brand new models. Gibson will usually pay to have them fixed or replaced but it's a hassle and you get the feeling they know a certain number of buyers will just let it go. But the rub is, most of those buyers won't come back.

I prefer having the pickguard it on, I think mine looks naked without it. .My 2017 LP Std HP pickguard snaps on - no screw holes. Quite secure when on. Can be removed in half a second if the crowd disapproves. Yes, the robotuners were the first thing to go and replaced with locking Grovers, everything else is perfect for me. Especially like the shaved heal when my short little fingers reach for my phantom 26th fret.

My Friday morning inspiration.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.