Posts by TheChicagoTodd

;) So you liked the Atomic CLR better? :)

Not too many places have multiple FRFR's to try, so I really appreciated that blind shootout. Based on that shootout, I purchased the Friedman ASC 12 and really like it. My first FRFR was the Headrush 112, and I sold that and got a Line 6 PowerCab Plus 112. I've still got that one for sale and the Friedman is my cab now. Although for playing in my class and at rehearsals, I now either bring an HX Stomp and a Headrush 108, or more recently a BluGuitar Iridium and Nanocab.

I do prefer "metal" and hard rock, so maybe that's why I gravitated to the ASC from the shootout. What I was surprised about was how different all those sounded in the shootout! All FRFR's and all very distinctly different....IMHO.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

I got one of these because I needed something for my solo/duo gigs (hey, I'm old): Fender Barstool

You know.....I'm not a professional like most of you here....really just a bedroom player, but I have a similar stool as this one ...LOL...mine is Gibson. But I tell all my friends who play, I think this may have been the best gear purchase I've made ever for $70!!! I use it every day! :) And really is the same type you find in most music stores.

Granted, probably unlike a lot of folks here, I'm not playing in front of computer, and recording and tweaking.....I'm just playing my Kemper through my headphones, or when the wife is gone or accommodating, through my Friedman ASC 12.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Terrence....

Has anyone here yet posted a sample using the same profile? If not, if you would like to send the exact profile you used to someone here, and they promise to not tweak it so as to skew the test, they could then provide a sound sample from their setup, and compare to your sound sample.

Following the honor system, that profile should then removed from the testers Kemper.

Thoughts?

Cheers and good luck!

Todd in Chicago

P.S. I ordered the Top Jimi Dano100 pack, and I think it's pretty cool. I could post a sample here....but my poor, limited ability to play would call into question the results! But I could do that and embarrass myself, if that profile would mean anything to you.

I also ordered one of these a decent "pre-sale" price. It looks intriguing, but in most if not all the reviews to "influencers" they don't show the special features that the company is touting that makes this amp unique. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

The tones from the Boss products are really excellent, and this product is really very cool. But for someone like myself, it misses the mark a bit, and here's why.

When I got my Kemper, I invested in nice set of headphones (nothing elaborate, but about $120). When I'm at home, I don't have much of a use for the Boss product, because I'll just sit by my Kemper and play. Yes, that means I won't be able to go sit on the couch in the other room and play, or to play when I go upstairs to watch the neighbors cat while they are away. But some time ago I bought a $30 Vox Amplug thingy. Now to compare that to this product would be ludicrous.

However, the Vox product does work.

Am I willing to spend another $370 to get better tone when I'm not at home? For me, that's not a good value proposition. For someone who perhaps travels a lot, this might be a better value, but for me it's just too much for my use case.

And I DO LOVE GEAR! So a part of me would like to buy these, but that's a lot of coin for a headphone amp....granted...a really, really good headphone amp.

If it were $200 instead of $400, I probably would buy it anyway even if my use case doesn't directly support that, cuz I love gear!

Looks like a fantastic product though. I don't think I need the feature where you move your head around and it changes the sound.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

On my Windows 8.1 computer, everything seemed to install correctly but when I run Rig Manager it looks like it's launching (splash screen, progress bar, etc.) but then it just dies--no error message or anything.

It seems to be working fine on my Windows 10 computer so far.

Kemper guys--let me know if you'd like logs or anything.

I thought someone said that Win 10 was a requirement for Rig Manager....no?

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Hey Todd, I was the token old guy in the CLR, FREIDMAN, LINE6 shootout and couldn't agree more. ....Paul

Oh! Hey Paul! Cool to see you in here. Loved your playing in this last go around, which I think was about as fair as it could have been. But yeah, back when you in the cab episode, I'm guessing it sounded as different in the room as it did when I listened to YouTube. I was really surprised how very different FRFR cabs actually sounded. :) Nice to see you here.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

I wish they made an 8" version.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

For a power amp I am using the Orange Pedal baby 100 into a Mesa Lonestar can with Mesa Black Shadow (Celestion C-90). Dont have anything that I have recorded with it since I normally go direct to the interface from the Kemper. I love this set up

So....why did you choose a separate power supply and cab, vs. an FRFR with a built-in power supply? Curious as to the decision-making process.

Thx!

Todd in Chicago

I came to the Kemper stage over from the Helix. Don't get me wrong the Helix is great unit but only if you enjoy endless tweaking. I spent 3 years with mine and even found the need to tweak the paid profiles. I even went as far as to buy a power amp and a cab to run the Helix through just to get a good tone with a little less tweaking, the positive on that is that I love the Kemper through that too.

I also had a similar experience in the Helix forums, no one wants to hear that the Helix has faults and even if they do admit that there is always an excuse to justify it like "you'll never notice in a mix" or "You didn't set it up correctly" or just simply whining an bickering. I left that group but on the other hand I also left the Kemper group on Face Book too since the most common responses to everything is "Read the manual" or "You don't need an editor"

I'd love to hear about your playing the Kemper through a power amp and cab.

Cheers...

Todd

I was thinking about replacing the speakers in my mesa boogie 2x12 with these. Is the idea with these that you can run them with the cab sim on? Or is it meant to be cab sim off, because its still in a cab. Just wondering how people use these.

I'm really a n00b at understanding these things....but I think that "Yes" using a Mesa Boogie 2x12 enclosures will alter the tone somewhat....as will any cab. However, with that being said, since you would have replaced the actual speakers with the Celestion's which are supposed to be FRFR, you should be able to utilze the CAB sims in your Kemper profile, so even though you are using a a Mesa 2x12, you can use a Marshall 4x12 CAB sim and it should sound pretty good.

If I'm wrong, please someone point that out...because this is currently how my brain is understanding these things.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago