Posts by SeanChristopher

pippopluto I get your points and they're valid points. I can see from a different POV, how you would feel that way.

When you're talking about the whole full rig Capture thing, there's literally no way to use IR's with a "full rig" (AMP+CAB) Capture, no matter what way you spin it. You can't turn off or swap out that Cab portion of the Capture if the Capture has a Cab in it to begin with. That's all I meant :)

Yeah, some Captures will be direct Amp Captures and you can use the QC's IR's or your own IR's with them. But not every Capture will be like that and the ones that aren't like that, you're stuck with a certain Cab and only a limited 3 band EQ and Gain to tweak. Unless you're making the Captures, you unfortunately don't have any control over what kind of Capture is made. This ultimately makes the full rig Captures much less flexible and usable to as many people aside from the Capture maker, and that was what uninformed people complained was the Kempers limitation. What people mistakenly thought was a huge limitation of the KPA (being stuck with a Profile at certain settings and not being able to tweak it or alter it much), will actually be a limitation for at least half of the Captures you'll come across. Especially since Doug has talked on TGP about how the Capture process captures the Cab in an Amp+Cab Capture really well and better than an IR. Much like how when Profiled, the Cab section sounds great and can sound better than an IR. So I can see at least half of the Captures being made, being full rig Captures to take advantage of using only 1 block to get results that are better than using an IR.

And you're right, the KPA took time to get a established 3rd party Profile market and to get a solid ecosystem for the KPA. And that will definitely happen with the QC too. The difference is, when the KPA came out, there weren't many other fully established other options on the market. Right now there are other solid options and it doesn't make much sense for people to switch to something that's more limited in some ways, just to get a few unnecessary flashy features. What does all that matter if there will barely be any Captures available at the start, half the Captures are basically stuck as is, and the Effects seem like they need some updating to be up to par with other units. I mean, the Headrush has a touchscreen and a bunch of cool user features and a great UI, but you don't see me ditching my Kemper for it:D because it's obviously not an upgrade. And in my opinion, it'll be the same lateral move to switch to the QC.

If someone has the money to own both units and they're adding to their collection of modelling units, that's one thing and I totally understand that. But switching to the QC instead of the Kemper or Helix or Axe FX III, doesn't make much sense to me because it seems like the drawbacks outweigh the positives right now. It doesn't mean it'll be bad. I actually think it'll be pretty good at the start and will probably get better. But it doesn't seem necessarily "better" than anything that's already out right now, and because of that, it seems like a side-step from other units that are well established.

Sorry for the novel, my friend!:) I think from a different perspective, you have some solid points. I'm not trying to slam the QC or anything like that. I'm just pointing out some important stuff to think about^^ Everyone is getting so caught up in the hype and the new features, they're overlooking some important fundamental things that will affect the experience with the QC more than I think people realize. As long as people are looking at things logically and analytically, it'll be easier to make an informed decision. It's all about what features are most important for you, and what aspects are most important to you. And as we've demonstrated, that varies a lot from person to person hahaha ^^;)

Amptiness I use a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen and it definitely has Direct Monitoring. There's some info on Direct Monitoring in the download-able Focusrite Scarlett 3rd Gen owners manual.

Direct Monitoring is as simple as opening Focusrite Control and muting your DAWs playback and only listening to the playback of the Input of your choice(whether that's TRS or SPIDF). It's no longer a button or switch like the previous Gen units.

I use Direct Monitoring in my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and it works flawlessly :)

Hope that helps!

Well, if this had stopped Kemper users at its time we wouldn't possibly be making this discussion... ;)

I'm not trying to tell anyone to shun the QC or that it'll be trash. I'm bringing up some points to consider for people looking for info.

People can have differing opinions, it's okay :) Me pointing out these drawbacks doesn't make the QC a terrible unit for anyone who's getting it or has pre-ordered it. I'm just bringing up some stuff to consider and explaining why my opinion would be to wait and watch how develops and either go with or stick with an established unit, whatever unit that may be.

But like I said, I'm sure people will feel differently and you seem to and that's okay :) we can still be homies haha 8o

Strategically speaking the two statements of yours cancel each other: you can stack a pedal, a pre, a power section and a cab, something the KPA can't do. Hence the versatility to separate amp and cab. And this came quite late in the KPA's timeline.

I'm talking about a full rig capture. In the Captures equivalent of a Studio Profile, there's no way to turn off that Cab or to try a different one with that Capture without using 2 cabs on top of each other at that point.

You're talking about DI Captures, Preamp Captures, and Captures that aren't of a full rig with a cab in it. And the availability of such a variety of Captures at the start is going to be non-existent unless you have a bunch of amps to do your own Captures.

At least half of the Captures available at the start will be full rig Captures with Cabs in them and if you don't like that Cab, tough stuff cos you're stuck with it lol. That's my point. That isn't a problem with the KPA regardless of what kind of Profile you're working with.

And even if the Kemper didn't have this at the start, it's irrelevant. It has it now and the QC currently doesnt. We live in the present lol. So it's never a good idea to get something based on the possibility of what it was promised to be.

And what I mean by stacking Captures, is that it's only an advantage if people want to stack Captures of Drives in front of amps or do complex routing, which is a small percentage of users. And the pedal Capturing isn't too great, much like what CK said the Kemper Profiles of OD's would be like if he made it possible with the Kemper. People will most likely prefer to use an accurate model of an OD, rather than a only decent Capture of an OD. But to each his own.

Did you guys see the newest sponsored QC vid on YouTube from the Studio Rats?

The guy makes a comment that there's no noticeable latency and compares it to the KPA and says the KPA had latency that the QC doesn't have.

How's that possible when the latency is supposed to be the same almost down to the millisecond between the two units? And if not, they're extremely close and the KPA's latency is for sure under 4-5ms so i'd be hard pressed to call it noticeable at all haha. So there's no way this guy was experiencing a noticeable amount more of latency with his KPA unless it was either exaggerated, or years ago because the KPA's latency has been really low for a long time now lol. Idk, just seemed like some BS to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqOSif0YwXA

The problem is not that Bea’s profiles are not accurate. The problem is Bea’s captures don’t match the accuracy of the profiles in this video.

The uglier problem is that there is no wiggle room with the qc. No refine, no advanced parameters so it’s safe to say that the captures Bea produced are as good as they can get at the moment.

This is such a strong and solid point.

Even the most accurate Captures i've heard so far, don't match this level of accuracy that the KPA can hit when time was taken to ensure Refining was done properly. Literally all it takes is Refining the Profile multiple times, each time focusing on different aspects of the tone that need to be Refined more, and making sure to play with a ton of different dynamics when Refining. So simple!:)

This difference in accuracy, along with the lack of ability to seperate Amp+Cab in full Captures, and the lack of tweakability (only Gain, B M, T) all make for a stripped down version of Profiling. The only advantage is that you can stack Captures and that's not a tipping point in comparison unless you're wanting to stack Captures of pedals or do complex routing (which will be a small percentage of the QC users). And the pedal Captures so far aren't very accurate. So I see that aspect being a "honeymoon phase" feature that people use once or twice and then end up using the OD's in the QC instead because they'll most likely sound better.

The amp modeling done by Neural DSP is good and everything. I've tried a good few of their plugins and compared them extensively with Profiles and even went to the length of using the same IRs to compare tones. The Kemper Profiles sounded richer and more lifelike to my ears every time. That's not to say NDSP's amp modeling is bad. I just prefer Kemper Profiles at this point. And it seems most people who are interested in the QC are mostly focused on the Capture aspect. But, most people don't/won't make their own Profiles/Captures, and tend to use 3rd party options.

One major thing a lot of people haven't considered is that the 3rd party Capture market will be extremely small and limited at the start and will take a good amount of time to steadily get anywhere close to a comparable amount of variety as the KPA Profile market has. And that seems like a drawback and step backwards considering how most people mainly use 3rd party Profiles and don't make their own Profiles.

All of that combined makes the QC seem like either a step down, or a step to the side. And if i'm gonna switch to anything else from the KPA, it will have to blow the KPA out of the water and it'll have to be a big step up in order to be worth the hassle of starting your tone library from scratch with the QC (considering most people sell one unit to go with another, or can't afford to own both), and to be worth waiting for the 3rd party Capture market to catch up.

I think most people got really excited about the touch screen and the AI marketing and the feature-set, without realizing that the unit isn't guaranteed right off the bat to be better than what you currently have just because it has some more cool features. If the fundamentals in the unit are a step down from your current hardware, is the switch really worth it? If you have an Axe FX or Kemper or Helix or Headrush or something, is it worth switching to a new unit that you'll basically be beta testing and working out what needs to be changed and smoothed out, and starting out with very limited options for Captures and the effects are only at their starting point? And on top of all of that, no one can even get one of these right now and no one knows when or if anyone will be able to get one lol. So idk how it's even an option in peoples minds right now when there are a ton of really well established and great units out there killing it right now hahaha

I'm not saying the QC will be a bad unit or anything like that. I actually think it has a ton of potential. But I think with how it's looking now, at launch the unit will really need some stuff worked out and some fundamental features tweaked to reach its potential. All i'm saying is right now, the QC is looking like a lateral move from the KPA or another modeler, and the cool features and UI and cool routing abilities don't outweigh the drawbacks right now. That's just my opinion though lol. (Sorry for the long post! haha :) I started listing off some of the QC's drawbacks and before I knew it, I had written a novel lolol:D)

I'm sure others feel differently and it's okay for all of us to have different opinions. I think for people considering switching, these points are extremely important to think about. And for people getting their first all in one unit, should really consider what features and aspects are most important to them and then go from there. And it's important to consider what is realistically available right now and in the near future.

I think we should give value to the fact that 2020 has been a horrible year for the whole world. Many people have been dying, many manufactures have been closed for months, the need to switch to remote working has indeed slowed down many processes... Ah, and there's a lack of availability for integrated circuits worldwide for related reasons.

Be sure NeuralDSP are more concerned than any of us about delays!

Of course, it's been a terrible 2020 and no one can deny that. But Doug Castro from Neural DSP has said recently that manufacturing wasn't an issue and claimed that they had tons of units ready to ship. At this point it's all other stuff besides production that's the issue. And one of the only things 2020 really slowed down was that aspect of business. Other work can and should have been continued by other means just like everyone else was doing everywhere in the world lol.

But yeah, 2020 sucked brother! Lol I hope everyone here didn't have too terrible of a year and let's all hope 2021 is a better year :)

One of my main guitars is a DBZ Imperial w/a Bigsby :) (DBZ makes Diamond Amplification and is now Diamond Guitars as well. Dean Zelinksy was designing the guitars around the DBZ era of the company :) and this is when these guitars were made in Korea in World Musical Instrument Co., before they moved production to another factory)

It has a 335 style body but a bit different and it's sleeker and thinner. It has a bit more twang than a standard 335 (I love that about it!) and it has a ton of sustain! For being literally my thinnest guitar, it has the most sustain! (Which is extra surprising because I've read people online make comments about how Bigsby bridges can affect and decrease sustain8o) The Bigsby bridge was new to me and I hard-tailed it when I first got it but, I undid that pretty quick and ended up falling in love with the Bigsby. It also has one of the nicest fret jobs and nicest playing necks of any of my guitars!

It's the guitar I use when I want to experiment with clean, low gain, and mid gain tones. I rigged up the push/pull Tone knob as a coil split and the tones I get with the split neck pickup are heavenly when I play low and mid gain tones through my KPA.

I got in 2008 and It lived in it's case because at the time, I was playing heavy stuff and I didn't think it would work for that (I was dead wrong on that one! lol^^). When I got my Kemper Stage, I started taking it out to experiment with different sounds because I finally had access to a million amps and every/any tone that I could ever want! hahaha. To my surprise, everything I played on it sounded great and the KPA brought the best out of it! That's how I found out that one of my best guitars had been cased and shunned by my unknowing and naive young self-for over a decade lol:D

Gotta love the incredibly classy and timeless shape and look of the 335 and 335 style guitars. They're really badass while being classic. A lot like a really great fitting leather jacket hahaha :D

Hi guys, I tried another pack from Tone Wars along with the other pack I mentioned before and I wanted to post about this one too!

The Tone Wars SLO Profile pack came with somewhere around 60 Studio Profiles and and around 30 DI Profiles. I was honestly blown away by this Profile pack too! If the SLO sounds this amazing in person-then it lives up to it's reputation. I hear a lot about how wide the tonal spectrum of the SLO is, and I think this set of Profiles really gives a total representation of the amps tonal spectrum.

Just like the other Tone Wars Profile packs, the pack includes Clean, Crunch, and high gain Profiles, as well as some random really great sweet spot Profiles. And alot like the other pack, the Profiles are really dynamic. But compared to the other pack, these Profiles are even more touch sensitive when it comes to breaking-up and distorting and it makes for some really amazing low gain and mid gain tones. I can totally see how the SLO can be an "every tone" kind of amp that covers a ton of ground and pretty much every gain stage you'd ever need for most types of music! The Crunch channel Profiles in the pack were pretty much plug and play for me and I was really happy with how quickly I was getting great sounds for low and mid gain tones that usually take me a ton of tweaking to get where I like lol (because I have much more experience dialing in higher gain tones and just recently got really into lower and mid gain tones)

And for the high gain tones, these Profiles are as good as it gets! lol Literally tonal nirvana and the SLO's gain structure really sounds super unique and rich. And the SLO Profiles have a really tight low end no matter where the gain knob is set. The SLO high gain Profiles are really articulate and really clear even with a lot of distortion, which sounds sick! With the low end tight, the overall tone clear and rich, and the gain searing and percussive, I was in heaven with the high gain tones lolol :D

But most importantly for us guitarists, the Profiles FEEL really great to play. Jarrod (the tone dialing-in genius who makes the ToneWars Profiles) is always making an extra effort to make sure that the feel of whatever amp he's profiling-is represented in the Profiles. The Profiles have to feel like the real amp to him before he considers releasing them and selling them. Those standards make for some really high quality Profiles. Honestly, so far all of the ToneWars Profiles i've tried, are up to par with Profiles from the great Profile makers like TJ and MB and Guido and ChopTones, etc.

And as a really sick bonus, the SLO pack comes with a free pack of the SLO 30 too!

So you get a SLO 100 and SLO 30 pack! And the SLO 30 pack comes with around 15 Profiles of various gain stages and EQ settings.

This pack was another one that totally impressed me and I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for a Profile pack for a SLO that covers a ton of tonal ground!:)

(I forgot to link the website for anyone interested last time, so here it is! :

https://www.tonewars.com/ )

It certainly doesn't do what it shows in the video. At best I can get a crunch sound out of it. Nothing hi-gain. I'm just using a single coil Strat with Lace Sensors but it's plenty on other pedals and amp models.

If you're trying to get a high gain tone using the Kemper Drive, I'd recommend starting with a Profile that's in the "Crunch" territory at least (as Wheresthedug mentioned), and then use the Kemper Drive to boost the Profile into high gain. It works extremely well for high gain when used like that :) The Kemper Drive is more of a traditional Overdrive and doesn't act the same as a distortion pedal. So using the KD as your main source for the gain will only get you some of the way there if you're trying to get high gain tones.

The "Precision Drive" presets for the KD are a great starting point to boost an amp into high gain. All you really need to do is load up a Crunch or mid gain Profile, and using either the KD's "Horizon Attack 1", "Horizon Attack 2", or "Horizon Attack 3" preset-you use the KD's Volume to boost the Profile into full on saturation.

As Wheresthedug also mentioned, tone in the vid is probably created using a method very similar to the one we've recommended and most likely was made with Kemper Drive settings very similar to the Precision Drive presets to Boost the Profiles.

Hope this helps :)

whippinpost91850 they felt awesome and super responsive! Jarrod has done an amazing job making sure the Profiles feel great and the Profiles support playing as you would through a tube amp.

Sometimes some Profiles will have significantly less low end and can often sound shill when played by themselves. These Profiles are really rich in the low end without being boomy or anything like that. I was honestly pleasantly surprised with this being my first full Tone Wars Profile pack I tried out. I'd definitely say he's hyper-focused on Profiles that are tailored towards players and it shows because they feel really good to play :)

Hi guys, I tried out a few packs from ToneWars and I wanted to tell you guys a bit about my experience with one of them, just in case anyone else is looking at the pack or is looking for a Mesa Badlander Profile pack.

It had a few clean Studio Profiles, around 30 Studio Profiles with gain settings varying from "Crunch" to "Crush", and around 25 DI Profiles.

The Profile pack has everything from super clean tones to high gain, so I felt like I had all of the Profiles I needed to get whatever tones I'd dial in with the real Mesa Badlander . I tried turning down the gain on the Crunch Profiles to try to get some low gain tones, and I was pleasantly surprised at how great they sounded. Those low gain Profiles have become some of my favs recently and for low gain, the standards I have are set by guys like M Britt and ToneJunkie lol. And the clean tones are really sparkly and sound really fat at the same time so I found them super fun to play.

But where this pack really shines is in the high gain arena. Crushing rhythm tones, searing lead tones, and crunchy rhythm tones. Everything from super tight high gain, to crushing and searing high gain and everything in between. There are profiles that are set to really neutral EQ's so any tweaks needed are minimal. And there are some sweet spot Profiles that cover a ridiculous amount of tonal ground. I ended up using some of the DI Crush Profiles and dialed down the gain and tightened it up with Precision Drive settings on the Kemper Drive, And I found my happy place for tight high gain tones lol. I've always loved Dual Recs but the low end was always almost unable to be tamed lol and the Mesa Badlander is like the tight ended Dual Rec that i've always dreamed of hahaha!

Anyways, the pack was really great and blew me away. I honestly was really surprised and as my first ToneWars Profile pack, I was pretty impressed. If anyone is looking for some Mesa Badlander Profiles, i'd highly suggest checking these out :)

Welcome FredoRobo !

If you're looking for some good modern metal/Djent Profiles, check out ToneWars Profiles, ReampZone, and Matt Fig Profiles. Those Profile makers are a great place to start for Modern Metal and Djent tones!

Also, getting yourself super familiar with the Amp block controls is one of the best things you can do to get a firm grasp on how to utilize the KPA's controls to shape your tone. Especially the Definition control because it controls where the harmonic content of the amp in the Profile sits, and that can really help tighten up your tone if used tastefully :)

Again, welcome to the Kemper forum and I hope you enjoy your KPA!

If you're looking for some great free IR packs Check out Seacow Cab Impulses at https://seacowcabs.wordpress.com. There are literally dozens of free Impulse Response packs of a bunch of different Cabs and they're all free! I was able to find a lot of really great ones from that website. Another great free IR pack can be found if you search Zeta IR Pack on YouTube and click the first video that comes up that was posted by Frederico Ascari.

Hope those help :)

I am interested in how it does it’s cab and the ability to set up different mics. If it’s just an IR loader that ignores your real cab’s sound then bugger that. If instead it can separate cab from amp as the Kemper does and also allow you to virtually change the mic you used originally keeping your own cab and room in the picture then that would be impressive.

So far from what Doug Castro has said and from the information out so far on the QC, the Cab won't be able to be separated from the Amp in a full rig Capture. So if you're using the equivalent of a Studio Profile (an Amp+Cab Capture) then you're limited to that mic'd up cab sound. The ability to change, move, and blend mics and speakers doesn't work with a regular Capture. You can't even just mute or turn off the Captures Cab sound in a full rig Capture. You'd have to be using a Capture of an Amp only (the equivalent of a DI Profile) with no Cab in order to use the QC's Cabs with a Capture.

The Cabs in the QC are the same as the Neural DSP plugins and the ML Soundlab Mikko plugin. It's a bunch of IR's that are loaded up based on where you visually move the mics on the screen. Each mic placement, distance, and mic variation, is a different IR. So each QC Cab is a bunch of IR's with a cool visual UI to make it simple to pick and blend IR's (I think 2 mics or something in each Cab block)

He handled you the way he should have.

You were making thinly veiled accusations about his integrity backed up by zero evidence.

He doesn’t have to “prove you wrong.” That’s not how it works. You made a claim, however thinly veiled. You are the one who must prove the claim. It’s basic Burden of Proof 101.

In what world is not understanding something and saying "something doesn't fit here TO ME", the same thing as making a rude claim? But, no you're right,

If someone asks a question because something simply doesn't fit together to them, the appropriate response is to basically insult their intelligence and then say "I don't owe you s***, or an explanation because you're not worth the time" lolol:D:D

You can't be serious lol. That kind of response is really uncalled for. I was basically shrugged off and indirectly insulted. Doug basically said answering my question to any extent whatsoever, wasn't worth his time and insinuated that I'm stupid because I think I'm smarter than I am.

Rude and defensive comments are uncalled for unless someone is straight up coming at you sideways or throwing insults right at you. Neither of which I was doing.

That's the issue. People assuming I'm trying to discredit the QC and automatically getting defensive. I imagine it's because you're either interested in one or ordered one already lol. So you feel the need to attack whoever is a threat to its credibility. But my opinion and questions about the processing power won't affect your user experience with the QC

Even if my question did have any "thinly veiled accusations" as you say, it still doesn't call for a totally defensive and borderline rude response. That shows real lack of class amd professionalism coming from the head of a company lol.

Some people just trust every company has their best interest in mind, and think that no company would ever exaggerate marketing to make sales, and that's fine if that's your thing. Do your thing But don't be pissed when others do research and form their own opinions and ask questions and try to make informed decisions. Thats my right just as much as you thinking Doug was right to call me stupid and then ignore my question is your right lol :P

Well, try to ask CK how the algo is working inside KPA ;) :P

Lol I can understand that. But I was pretty clear that I was only looking for a dumbed down simple explanation and not the whole algorithm he's using ahaha:D

I'd understand the defensiveness if I was asking for trade secrets, sure. But just saying "hey, something doesn't add up" and asking for a dumbed down explanation didn't seem like a huge ask to me. But idk, different people take things different ways so I can see how things could go sideways lol. :)

But I mean, come on lol you can't tell us there's literally tech running that requires more processing power to run, and then not even give some simple reassurances like, "it really is that tech but it runs efficiently". Line literally, something reassuring and barely explained was all I was looking for and the guys response was "just trust us. We've made a bunch of amp models"

But no matter what, it was a shot in the dark on my end to try and get some info for us consumers who see through the marketing lol

Who knows, maybe they did come up with something novel in the past year that the paper doesn't show. But another inference from their 2020 paper would be that they're running a low quality, low processor-intensive neural network, like the RNN32 from their paper which runs 8 * real-time on their PC with a confidence interval of just 80%. The QC Capture demos are close and impressive, but I don't really hear some unprecedented accuracy type thing listening to demos like with the Tube Screamer.

Maybe, but the fact that Doug totally danced around any explanation to disprove what we were saying, really doesn't look good lol.

BTW, thanks for liking my posts over on TGP. It got pretty rough over there man. Defending myself from all sides lol:D But seeing you liked my posts on TGP made me feel like I had a friend in my corner over there :)I appreciate the support, brother!