Disappointing Powerhead

• I am using Kemper for over one year in many productions, and I am absolutely satisfied, it was like a dream come true. So time for the next dream to come true, so I ordered the powerhead version. Expectation where high, first thing I notice the Kemper is pretty much stereo why isn´t the poweramp!!!!. I got all the amps (Peavy6505,Dual Rectifier, Engl Fireball, Marshall 6100, Marshal JMP-1) I profiled earlier present. As reference cabs I use a Marshall 4x12 and a Rectifier 4x12.

I am specialized in high gain sounds. THe sound of the Powerhead compared to the original is extreme small breasted (Yes I switched the Kemper cab simulation off). The bass response behavior especially with palm mutes and staccato playing in connection with the real cab does not work and I am not talking about cranking the poweramp. I tried to invoke the EQ in the monitor out section, but it statically lifts or lowers certain frequencies, this has nothing to do with the bass response behavior of a valve amp in connection with a real git cab shifting air.

In my opinion the problem is that there is no exact profile of the part the poweramp section and the cab is playing in the complex sound. The Kemper just virtually decides what part in the profile is poweramp or cab not even speaking about the mic. Furthermore I love to work with the Kemper in the Studio direct to desk but definitively not for live sound.

• Hey Tantrum,

if I got it right you're saying that the Powerhead sounds differently from the Toaster. You also write that it's a matter of how the Profiler manages the profiles, but this is the same on both units.

You don't specify the configuration you've used the two versions with, so it's hard to understand what could be wrong and give you some advices. You should use the toaster with a SS poweramp to make a proper comparison. You should also use the same loudspeakers.

The poweramp in the powerhead is decently linear, I don't think it may have such an impact on the overall sound. How were you amplifying\listening to the Toaster?

• Yeah, disengaging the cab sim is not exact and a profile that sounds golden direct may not work that good with cab driver and real cab. Try going through profiles exclusively for use with your cab.

• I think if you're disappointed by what you're hearing with cabs then its time to test out an frfr speaker setup. I dont feel like I've missed out using just my non-powered version due to the mono limitation.

• well, this pretty much coincides whit my experience after trying a few different SS poweramps with my AxeFX before i had the kemper.

i'm glad i didn't take the plunge and get a powerhead to replace my 'hollow' toaster 8)

• Hmmmm....I havent ever got really good sound from SS poweramp..same with the Axe and Kemper, it seems that there always should be valves.
    I have tried Matrix GT 800FX, Velocity 300, Mustang III; studio monitors as Adam A77X and APS Aeon etc., and always came back to Mesa 20/20, VHT 2:50:2 with guitar cabinets -and now also to the pair of Atomic Reactors (two x el84) with speakers changed to WGS Retros.
    And of course it should be stereo when the effects are stereo.. ?(

• havent ever got really good sound from SS poweramp
    And of course it should be stereo when the effects are stereo.. ?(

I agree, but I think it is not only a problem of the poweramp. I tried the Kemper with my marshall 9100 50/50 6L6 poweramp and it sounds much better. The way the Kemper judges what parts to switch off in the soundprofile, seems to be not so easy as the developers might thought. If it all stays in the digital domain its fine but coming back in the real world of moving air with a guitar speaker is a different thing.

• With those Atomics it is the first time I should put the cabinet on
    (I think the Atomics amp is so linear that even regular guitar speaker doesnt cut highs enough)
    -and there where a lot of tweaking to find proper cabinet simulation.

With all the other valve poweramps (as a "guitar poweramp") such as Marshall 9100 is, I have always got good sound with cab off.

• okay, here are my 2 cents:
    yes moving air with a speaker during rehearsals or gigs IS something different ... here is what happenned while i helped out for 2 months in a punk (!!) band
    i am so glad that - due to lack of more momey - i decided to fetch my cheap solid state hartke from the basement.
    cost me 279 euros and was sleeping in the cellar. 60 watt solid state. i hear you laughing.
    i tell you something: you shouldnt laugh, and the drummer did not that's for sure, he begged for a little reducing the volume
    on my side. ha! that does not happen so often while the second guitarist asked me what the price of that ugly little green thing is 8o
    because "your sound is certified!" i tried my marshall plexi with KT66 valves as a power amp via using the added fx loop and it sounded with
    the same two loudspeakers not better just a little brighter with more power. but definitely not better.
    so my strange setup works in a band and the strange thing is, whether i turn box sim on or off does not make much difference.
    so this can get complicated and it all depends on the loudspeakers IMHO come to think of it. i prefer a "real" guitar loudspeaker like my egnater behind me.

so to make a long story a little shorter, i dont think it is necessarily your kemper head that disappoints you, because my ss solution works fine. btw: have you
    compared the two sounds that puzzle you with identical setups? sound files available?

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• When you play through a tube power amp, the sound will be coloured in any case. It will likely emphasize the base and presence frequencies and sound pleasant by that. More scooped.
    If the Profiler would present this pleasant sound on the monitor output, and you played it 'again' through your tube amp, you might findmit even more pleasant.

The separation of amp and cab can never be perfect. No digital amp can reproduce the sound of an amp a 100% authentic, when an arbitrary cabinet is used.

You can get a very authentic situation by creating a direct profile using a DI box sensing the speaker output, while the original speaker is the load. We have recently made listening tests. The direct profiles are as indistinguishable as a mic'ed profile, when you play it by our power amp (or another SS amp) into the same speaker.

I can reveal a little secret here: we will soon work out a solution, where the direct profile and the corresponding mic'ed profile can be combined to a single profile...

• I can reveal a little secret here: we will soon work out a solution, where the direct profile and the corresponding mic'ed profile can be combined to a single profile...

So you you can have balance any amount of direct or cab?

Cool :thumbup:, But more tweaking ;(, Im going to have to inrcrease my ADD medication :wacko:

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• So you you can have balance any amount of direct or cab?

Cool :thumbup:, But more tweaking ;(, Im going to have to inrcrease my ADD medication :wacko:

That would be very nice indeed. Another possibility is that having a complete amp profile via direct would lead to a lot of other possibilities now that we do not rob out amp tone by removing the cab. I would call this (just guessing) Cab2.0 as now the cabs would act more like IR's since the amp profile would be better separated. This would also lead to more options for IR cabs and reamping. With the combination of this "secret" and the delay of a few profile packs makes me think there is a new firmware in the horizon with some cool new features coming.

• I am specialized in high gain sounds.

How do the other 'sounds', like clean and crunchy sound through the Cab with Cab sims OFF?

I know guys who have taken a car sound system poweramp, built their own cab using a V30, fitted the poweramp into the cab, and the sound is incredible.

Are you talking specifically HI GAIN/METAL tones?

• I am specialized in high gain sounds. THe sound of the Powerhead compared to the original is extreme small breasted (Yes I switched the Kemper cab simulation off). The bass response behavior especially with palm mutes and staccato playing in connection with the real cab does not work and I am not talking about cranking the poweramp. I tried to invoke the EQ in the monitor out section, but it statically lifts or lowers certain frequencies, this has nothing to do with the bass response behavior of a valve amp in connection with a real git cab shifting air.

I've heard about amps having "balls", but never heard one described as small breasted!!!

• I use my Kemper Head with a cheap Behringer EPQ900 power amp and an old 4x12 cab loaded with Eminence V12 and the sound is great with lots of punch and clarity. I didn't profile any amp with that cab and compared it to the profile but I'm using a Rectifier profile, which is the amp I used to play with that cab, and it feels and sound just like it did before when I used the amp. I can't say that I'm missing low end or anything. Actually with the Kemper I have the punch and depth for the first time when using a digital device. Already tried an Axe FX Standard, Pod HD, Pod X3 with various power amps (Engl Tube, Rocktron Velocity etc.) into that cab and it always felt kind of flat and I was missing something. Not with the Kemper. This little box delivers it all.

• Awesome! :D Any big secrets you're keeping from us, Mr CK? :thumbup: