Hi and Lo Pass Filters on the Eq

• Hi,

coming from a studio engineer background, i'd love to see a hi and lo pass filter on the eq to filter out unwanted frequencies.
    Also the choice of bell or shelf curves on the hi and lo frequencies would make it truly a studio worthy equaliser.
    My apologies if those features are already there and I have overlooked them. I am still fairly new to the Kemper.

Cheers,

Rick

• Quoted from "Rispsira"
    Personally i still would like to have them in the eq sectio if thats ever possible 2filters and eq in the same block

Check out the studio EQ. Has a shelving high/low and dual mid bands.

Yeah, I would like to have the combination Rispsira demanded, too. The studio EQ didn't get a HP/LP without losing freq-bands. Also I'm into adjusting the orders of the HP/LP not by Q-factor (btw: up to 6th order wood be fine if possible).
    Anyway - it's only a 'would be nice' - in no case urgent.
    :)

• Yeah, I would like to have the combination Rispsira demanded, too. The studio EQ didn't get a HP/LP without losing freq-bands. Also I'm into adjusting the orders of the HP/LP not by Q-factor (btw: up to 6th order wood be fine if possible).
    Anyway - it's only a 'would be nice' - in no case urgent.
    :)

Just try it. You are not "giving up bands" as you can load 2 instances if you want. If you are cutting highs, do you really need another band to boost highs?

• The slope of the studio EQ hi/lo pass is such that you're losing a lot in desired frequencies too, compared to those of the wah filters that cut frequencies more *brutally*.
    Also, if you need low + hi pass, this takes all the available post amp slots.
    For me hi & low pass filters are so important to shape a sound, that they should be implemented somewhere in a more universal place: output section , or cabinet maybe.

• The slope of the studio EQ hi/lo pass is such that you're losing a lot in desired frequencies too, compared to those of the wah filters that cut frequencies more *brutally*.
    Also, if you need low + hi pass, this takes all the available post amp slots.
    For me hi & low pass filters are so important to shape a sound, that they should be implemented somewhere in a more universal place: output section , or cabinet maybe.

Here's CK's response on the topic, he's responded similarly many times on the topic. I've not seen anything from them other than "it's already there" every time the topic has come up, until they got tired of answering the same question over and over and started ignoring it. Since folks keep asking for it, maybe they'll eventually add something...

• I just want a single block to include hpf, lpf, and the studio eq. It's not much to ask for, at all. Dialing in exact frequencies for rolloffs would be nice, too!

That wouldn't make sense as per CK the studio EQ includes a high shelf and low shelf. A "shelf" and a "pass" EQ are essentially the same thing. For example, if you apply a low shelf at 100 hz and cut 18db, you have essentially created a high pass filter.

• I'm relatively new to the forum so didn't know all what was said about this subject, but I have ears, and they tell me there is a big difference between the two, at least in the highs - i don't use the low shelf that much.
    When I'm back from holidays i will make some samples.

Edit: I read the ck answer again and he's saying the studio EQ lowcut is steep, which I agree, he's not talking about the studio EQ hi cut.
    He says the hi cut can be done via the wah filter, which i agree too, and it works well.
    Still it means that if you want both, you need two slots...

Edited once, last by lef38 ().

• Just try it. You are not "giving up bands" as you can load 2 instances if you want. If you are cutting highs, do you really need another band to boost highs?

If I would I'd to give up an FX-slot I'm actual using. Often the need of the HP/LP occurs when I'm using mega-fx-batteries using all slots (and usually all bands). So then I got no free slot/band neither a second eq-instance.
    That's why I'm hoping of a HP/LP direct in the eq. 8)

• My answer would be: this is a guitar amp, not a professional mixing desk.

Lowpass and highpass have been introduced to mixing equalizers not longer than 10 or 15 years ago, only in the digital domain, even though it would have been possible in analog for 40 or 50 years. They are used to kill unwanted frequency components.
    An exception - and a proof for that - are the subsonic filters in the channel strips.

My perception is that guitar sounds never need frequencies being erased from the spectrum. Neither in studio nor live.

• Yeah CK you're right, we're not talking about something urgent here like I said before.
    It would just be nice to have it, HP/LP not really important.
    Take it as a topic on the user's wish-list - we all know that Santa don't fullfill the whole list!
    ... but hoping makes our day!
    :D