Playing live - plugging right into PA

• I have not got a Kemper yet, but I'm seriously considering it, it seems exactly what I'm looking for. What I was looking for was something for the best direct recording, but also to use as a backup rig to my tube amp, or even use it on its own for gigs where I want to bring as little as possible.

I see a lot of people referring to power amps, monitors, FRFR etc..., and buying it with the poweramp included. My question is, and bear with me because I've never played live with something like this, but isn't the most simplest way is to plug it directly into the venue's PA system? That way there's no micing, it goes out on the PA and also in the monitors etc... I like to keep things as simple as possible and that's how I would want to use it. Is there any drawbacks to this other than not getting the "speaker flapping the pants" feeling? ;)

Is the only reason that people want all that extra stuff is for when your at practice place or at a gig with no PA system? I think in that case the built-in poweramp or external poweramp would make sense, although for me, I wouldn't want all that extra weight on my Kemper as I want it as light as possible for easy transporting/flying etc... so would prefer the non-poweramp version.

Thanks for any help/clarification!

• I should add that my other option I am thinking of for my situation is a Blackstar ID Series 100 head. It is about $600, and is a solid-state tube modelling head. So would be great for live/backup use, but I can imagine the preamp sounds on this would be nothing like the Kemper for direct recording.

• In your case I would suggest to buy the lunchbox version without power amp. This way you can add the Camplifier later if you like. This 3rd party power amp can be easily removed when you don't need it.
    The potential benefit of the above power amp in the backside of the Profiler is:

• You don't need to carry an active monitor.
    • It's availlable as a 2 channel amp, so you can attach monitor and PA speaker for small venues or band practice.

Personally I'm not a big fan of passive speakers, so I have no immediate desire to get the Camplifier. But I like the fact that I could. :)

• Welcome!
    The reason why there's so much talk about monitors, FRFR etc. is because it's a plain fact you cannot trust the monitor system of a given venue.
    IOW, you don't want to depend on the soundguy giving you a crappy monitor that you also have to share with your singer and your keyboard player.
    You want something trusty, reliable and great sounding for your personal monitoring.
    This can be a dedicated FRFR system, a guitar cab, in-ears, etc. It's all about preferences.
    In an ideal world, where every venue would have a state of the art sound system and 6 monitor/aux busses, it's true, then you'd simply have to plug in to the PA.

• I tried relying on the house monitors once. I'll never do it again.

I tried it once too and suddenly the sound disapeared on the stage exactly at the moment I had to improvise... I learned the real meaning of the word "improvisation" LOL! 8| ! I kept it simple believe me ;) !

I never used "in ears monitoring" but I can imagine these things can happen with those kind of systems.

• Thanks for the replies. I understand the monitoring issues, as I'm in a metal band lol, but more than anything, I just like to keep it simple, with less things to go wrong in between my guitar and sound coming out of the speakers. So for me I'd rather just plug straight into the PA.

The only thing I could see adding in the future is in-ear monitors. I was talking to the singer of a big band that came through here, and he told me he always goes direct from some kind of Mesa amp/device, and then uses in-ear monitors for both ear protection and the best monitoring. It's like no one wants to use cabs anymore, it's all direct.

• I run PA direct with IEMs and a stereo stage FRFR amp...been doing it for years with other modelers. The IEMs are for me, the amp is for my guitar (volume sustain). I could do without the FRFR amp if it failed.

I provide my own PA and run sound from the stage...set it at sound check and mix from IEMs.

bd