After this guitar sound

• Woah what makes you say that??

Just a feeling... I´ve played and recorded those for many years... plus there´s a 1960 sitting under the recto in the video (which means nothing of course). The G12T75s are not very popular these days. The reason for this seems to be that the modern hi gain amps themselves have developped into more mid scooped basic sounds which sounds great with V30s but not so much with the 75s which have that special "hollow hi mid grind" scoop. On the other hand the 75s have a far tighter and more percussive low and way more hi end chime. If you mix them together with V30s you can get the best of both worlds.

• here is a general rule I follow normally (I cant stress that this is general) so don't go taking the figures literal :)

Guitar Boom - 100hz
    Guitar Honk - 600hz
    Guitar Edge - 5khz
    Sweet spots can/could be from natural harmonics (2k upwards) - depends totally on guitar/sound/style
    Muddy areas around 160-340hz(ish)

But this all might sound bad by itself, so :-

Guitar & Bass clash: - 80Hz-100hz and below
    Guitar & Drums Clash - 400hz & 2-8k
    Drums & Bass Clash -60hz, 400hz & 2-8Hz

For Drums and guitar to work well, try dropping about few DB's around 400hz on the drums, and to make it gel better remove a few DB's around 2-5k on the guitar

But in reality the source is important first, get what you wish for then track (always track in mono) unless a single track is used.

By definition, you want to Improve the sound at mix not worsen, yes this is obvious, but by this I mean, you will want to be using Creative EQ and not Corrective EQ apart from the normal EQ to make space in tracks and LPF/HPF of course.

If you have to Correct, then Always try Cuts,if your having to boost then retrack

And last but not least, dont push the record in (too hot), Headroom is important, so aim for negative 12/18 whatever you prefer. (-18 if your planning on a lot of guitars) as once mixed to a buss, they all add up!. - Oh and when you think its the perfect amount of gain!.. its not, back it off a bit for record :)

Oh and one more tip that Ive used on a lot of records recently.. Also record the Dry signal.. and use this Strictly as a reverb signal. - blend this and the verb in with the guitars, and you can get some nice translucency with this. or add it in mono, and add a stereo chorus effect, and gently bring it in!

Hope some of that helps!
    If you know all of this already then simply Move on! :)

• This is great Andy thank you so much in taking time to write that.

I hear a lot about not tracking with to much gain. I had a band in the other day and they recorded a guitar part using your Noel Gallagher orange amp as that's the style of music they do. The gain was quite low but the riff sounded a little detached as though it needed more gain for the notes to blend together more. I was thinking it was probably down to his left hand technique more though. ?(

Will defo be bearing in mind those clashing frequencies something new I've learnt :thumbup::)

• Some cool info/tips here Andy, thanks! :thumbup: