Recording: Kemper EFX VS your DAW's effects

• Several KPA users suggest you use a mono signal "Stack" on the SPDIF out when you are doing a final take or re amping and using the delays, reverb, etc in your daw on a dry Kemper track. This does make sense as the Kemper reverb is probably not as good as that plug in in your DAW....or the delay. I believe you will hear the Kemper effects when you are playing, so you have the right feel....but the "stack" setting will give you the Kemper amp sound in a mono track without stereo effects, or any effects...then you can simulate them, or make them better in your workstation. Does this make sense to you?

So what do you do. How do record you final takes?

• I think there's no golden rule.
    I personally would never record reverb or delay from the KPA as this doesn't make sense to me.
    Chorus, flanger, phaser, vibrato is debatable = could be recorded or added later from the DAW.
    Compressor, distortion, wah, preamp EQ (= everything pre amp) must be recorded.
    Tremolo I like to record because I like it pre amp.

• Another way: reamping. This way you can adjust all KPA-effects later to fit the mix properly and you don't have to rely on the effects of your DAW.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Recording a dry signal and having your feed as wet as you like it is very important to me for just the feel as you mentioned.

Having said that i feel the KPA's effects are quite good and definitely better then at least the stock one's included with most recording software I've used and sometimes i may record with a bit of the delay and verb from the KPA. The main trick to doing this is to get the settings as you like and then back it off a little as it always seems more pronounced on playback.

Recording the dry signal is definitely the "more pro engineer aproach" but i'm a guitar player first and as Ingolf says there's know golden rule.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I'm quit new to the Kemper, but I think, for me It depends on the Track. In most cases it will be better to record especially rithm-guitars dry (at leas without delay and reverb), but maybe sometimes it can make sense to record a solo with the effects which give you the feeling while playing it. And why not! We also can record the stack and the effects on two different stereo-tracks if we're not sure how much effect is needed in the mix or to have the possibility to replace it by daw-effects if it doesn'work while mixing.

• i might be a wild one here........but I use the kpa fx on when I record the final and official takes. this way the delay and the other fx are recorded too which is considered a disadvantage by the pro studio tech. nevertheless the kpa have such studio quality fx that enrich the sound coming out from the speakers that I cannot do without them on.

so I go straight with the kpa+fxs right into recording......don't care much of the studio common procedures (i.e. dry guitar with fx given by studio processors), also because I can do punch ins without the listener to reckon them.

check the song in my signature: it was done right as I mentioned here: guitar with the kpa fx on, thus recorded with the delay and the reverb.

but as said: this is a wild procedure which would probabily be refused by a studio pro tech

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music