Kemper + yamaha dxr12

• after looking and looking at many forums on whether lead in frfr dictate or valves, after asking advice to each other, Ingolf told me not fail to live DXR12 yamaha.
    well then bought my yamaha DXR12 and took it without testing a performance of my band ... never in my life have sounded just as good, it was like a heavenly blessing jajajajja

the other guitarist Kirk Randall hammet wearing a special edition 4x12 with v30 and could not l volume and quality yamaha kemper DXR12 ... I was always above it with my 5150 profiles
    Ingolf great ... thanks for your advice

http://www.animasacra.com

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-lU_k060k.
    Al guitars with kemper

• Hi, i've a problem: the first time i tried the kemper at the store was with the dxr8 and was pretty awesome, then i ran my marshall 4x12 but i want to switch over frfr and my bandmate has made me try a dxr12.
    first time only 5 minutes because it was late night and all sounded good (some profile were incredible and other really cold) so i wanted i second try 2 days ago.
    I spent one hour over it trying all the possible configuration and that was one of the worse sound i've ever had.
    I setted the dxr volume to half and then used the mainout volume knob and there was no clipping on the KPA.
    I've used main out straight to the dxr12, tweeked the eq, changed from xlr to trs jack and all was still crappy sounding.
    The day after i went to the small music store near me and as usual anything i trow at the kemper sounded good with the same profile, from roland keyboard amp to alto wedge and similar.
    At home i use an adam a5x and a little sub. and sound awesome.

So... What the Hell?!? everyone speaks well about the dxr's, and the kemper sound good with everything i trow at it, from good studio monitors to the cheapest thing.
    What i've mistaken? it's possible it's a defective dxr? it sounded overloaded even at low volume!
    The profile i use the most are andy's roadking, triple recto, toneking emperor and jcm800,slightly tweeked all with medium gain setting and with varius drop c guitars (gibson, ltd and mine selfmade)

• Well, if it sounds overloaded at low volume there's obviously something wrong! 8|

Check that the cabs are on, and above all check if the Yamaha is lying on a resonant surface (wooden table, wooden stage, wooden box...) or is close to walls/corners.
    Also, I'd try it in another room if possible and with a music program.

Definitely possible it's broken :|

• here's the room detail:
    5m x 3m
    heavily treated by my drummer with varius layer of (non so come si scrivono in inglese) sughero, su polistirolo piu bugnato piramidale. on the 40% of the surface.
    All the floor are covered with carpet.
    Really, extremely dry sounding room...
    Dxr are placed on stands at about 1,8m height and placed near a wall 1 m from the corner

MOre detailed sound description:
    Clean ok, but very sterile with no body and limited dynamics
    Drive And distortion: only the more dark sounding/less presence were sightly usable... the more the harmonic content the more crappy sounding.
    Like a cone that can't stand the freequency and incredibly sterile sounding.
    I'm used to play with a single adam a5x when i go to work(guitar teacher), the adam it's a really dry monitor, i had reduced a bit the tweeter level, and me and my disciples are enjoying greath tones! so i'used to frfr sound.
    All of this obviusly with many tweekeng, on master eq, volume and of course with cabinet simulation.

• Another thing, with the traditional marshall 4x12 the room interact with no boominess at all but the sound it's very directional, on axis only High, half step off axis it's like take down the presence by half of the current settings, but despite this still organic sounding

• Have you set the DXR's input to line level via the switch for input 1? How is the input level on the DXR set? Have you checked if the limiter on the Yamaha engages because of to hot input from the Profiler?

• The room treatment you mentioned is ineffective on low freqs.
    Run a very slow sine sweep 20-20,000 from a computer and listen to what happens!

How does the can sound with music programs?
    Also, was your first night attempt performed at a low volume? When you drastically change a sound's volume your perception of it changes as well.

Also, try and move the cabs in the middle of the room (i.e., far from the walls). Then in another room (specifically, at home, where you say that your system sounds good.
    And check Hell-G's notes.

These are all generic thoughts I know, but we have to start from something...

:)

• First of all: Everything is a matter of taste, you might have different expectations than I do. :)

I had a chance to listen to the 3 Yamahas DXR10, DXR12, DXR15 in a well equiped showroom. All 3 were in head high position, roughly 1.5m (5ft) off a sound treated wall.

First I just listened to all of them using some music, pretty loud but not even close to max. First I didn't care about the currently set mode on the DXRs. The DXR10 immediately sounded better than the DXR12, there was no "life" in the DXR12. The DXR15 was amazingly good in my opinion, because I expected it to have just to much lower end. But that didn't happen.

Then I checked the mode they were set to ... and I should have known before, the DXR10 was set to FOH/MAIN while the DXR12 and the DXR15 were set to OFF.

Next I switched all to FOH/MAIN ... and what happened then was: I still liked the DXR10 best, the DXR12 got more "life" but there was something missing in the mids ... and the DXR15? Man, the DXR15 really started to move considerable air. I didn't notice any problems in highs or mids, but the lower end was amazing and a little to much for my taste at the same time. It didn't loose definition in the mids and highs but wow, the bottom end department clearly exploded. If you like really fat tone, this one should be a safe bet ... although this beast is huge and heavy. But if you prefer clearer, crisper and balanced sound with still enough bottom end, then the DXR10 turns out to be the best option, in my opinion.

I was surprised that somehow the DXR12 turned out to be the bad boy in the family ... well, not really bad but a noticable hole in the mids that I didn't like.

Hope this helps, although it's highly subjective.

• Great review of the DXR series, lightbox. Thanks!

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.