Any Kemper II on the horizon?

• Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, hi ! ;)

I'm in the market for a Kemper and was wondering if there is anything new on a follow up of the Kemper, which is now already for a few years on the market. Aside the change in front color to a black version (that is is the only difference, right?) it seems the same.

So was wondering if a v2 is already in development, how and why it would be different. I've seen people cry when the ordered an axe fx ultra and the day after II was released. Stings a bit I'm sure, so I'd like to avoid that hehe ;)

Thanks,
    Cheers

• Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't worry about a Kemper II coming out any time soon, if ever. The KPA showed up on Day 1 sounding better than any other digital product on the market, and nothing created since then has come close to the incredible, huge, 3D amp tones the KPA produces. The Kemper doesn't need to be 'fixed' every month with new firmware upgrades that destroy your presets :D

Unlike other companies that release improved products every few years (Digitech, Line 6, Fractal - all of which I have owned), there's really not much room for tonal improvement in the Kemper. This is, of course, IMO.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

Edited once, last by Desiato ().

• Normally the version II comes a few days after the purchase :D

Yes, I too think that we will not see a II version before 2015.
    (Hope to see a foot-controller and librarian in 2014).

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Judgin from all the statements I have read, the KPA (one) is far from being done. Why should anyone bother with a KPA II, if there are more ideas for KPA as we know it are still in the pipeline?! Doesn't make sense at all.

• Yes, there are even still some knobs without function ... so a longer time until we see the II

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• In the world of digital electronics, if one always decides to wait for the better model they will wait forever. If you are worried about loss on investment, don't because the Kemper isn't an investment it's an expense. If you want to lower your cost, buy used. The KPA was the most expensive music gear purchase I've made in my nearly 28 years of playing guitar and it was worth every penny.

• In the world of digital electronics, if one always decides to wait for the better model they will wait forever. If you are worried about loss on investment, don't because the Kemper isn't an investment it's an expense. If you want to lower your cost, buy used. The KPA was the most expensive music gear purchase I've made in my nearly 28 years of playing guitar and it was worth every penny.

+1 on that!!

I saw an expense comparison awhile back about this very idea. Someone was complaining that buying a new tube amp was always a better decision than getting a new computer/digital modeler, because, as he stated, the computer always becomes obsolete, whereas older amps become 'vintage' and retain some value. Aside from the obvious problems with such a comparison, the respondent noted that after normal tube replacements (every 6 months are needed for regular playing if you want to maintain their 'original tube' tone), fuses, and inevitable trips to the amp repair shop, you'd spend the purchase price for a Kemper in about 5-6 years of just the maintenance costs for a good tube amp. So after that same time, and ceteris paribus, you'd have a Kemper which cost you nothing, or an amp worth anywhere from 10-50% of what you paid new.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• I'd not worry, it's probably years away and it won't sound any worse even if there is a new version. If anything, Kemper will become a household name, like Marshall or Fender., judging by track record of Virus.
    Personally I plan to keep all Kemper versions :)

• [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/hOsPx7Z.jpg]

I'm not sure if they made the KPA modular to make for cheaper repair costs or for future upgrades, but if there is an upgrade, your KPA II will probably be in the form of a RAM increase and or CPU upgrade by swapping out that extension card. Rest assured though I highly doubt there will be a whole new KPA unit where the KPA II is a refresh or tweak of the original that would leave KPA I users behind. Team KPA is more than busy enough developing and refining the KPA I features and sounds as well as adding new items and firmwares to be bothered with a new product.

If and when there is a KPA II, it probably wont be a KPA II it will be a whole other Magic Box using another technology and Team KPA would still support KPA like they are known to for a long time after.

• Thanks a lot for all the input guys.

It's completely true if you're scared of new versions of digital equipement you can always wait forever ;) But I'm quite new to the Kemper stuff, so I just want to avoid being stupid if a II would've been on the verge of release. But that seems pretty safe.

Now deciding of I'd want a rack unit with or without power section ;)

Really cool that the DPS's are mounted as a slot in construction btw.

• [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/hOsPx7Z.jpg]

I'm not sure if they made the KPA modular to make for cheaper repair costs or for future upgrades, but if there is an upgrade, your KPA II will probably be in the form of a RAM increase and or CPU upgrade by swapping out that extension card. Rest assured though I highly doubt there will be a whole new KPA unit where the KPA II is a refresh or tweak of the original that would leave KPA I users behind. Team KPA is more than busy enough developing and refining the KPA I features and sounds as well as adding new items and firmwares to be bothered with a new product.

If and when there is a KPA II, it probably wont be a KPA II it will be a whole other Magic Box using another technology and Team KPA would still support KPA like they are known to for a long time after.

This is a really good surprise!!!! well done Kemper!!!! hope in the future its all about replacing this module and upgrading to a firmware.

• I like to be optimistic but I have to imagine that the a card swap would be a best case scenario for an upgrade as it would be cheaper than a new unit. Though there are lots going against it like issues with making firmwares work on both units or having to make and update two separate firmwares. That and team KPA probably would not want people sticking their fingers in the KPA and doing this themselves, or issues with the upgrade becoming safety regulated like the snags they had with converting to powered units.

• I will be couragious and make a bet: the KPA mkII will not be available in this decade!
    in any case, 2014 or 2015 is delusionary, the KPA is fine, the profiles are near perfect.
    the story has not even begun yet. my 2 cents, ofcourse.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• I'm sure that even when there will be a new kemper sometime in the future years with some new features it will still be back compatible and can play the exact same sounds from the profiles we users have created today. Like their Virus series. I don't know another product in this category that is so future proof.

Here is good info about the kempers planned long lifespan.
    Why the Kemper is really future proof for at least the next 15 years

Quote from C.Kemper.
    "We have no plans or ideas to improve the core sound engine of the profiler in terms of getting closer to something.
    If we ever applied changes to that in the future, we will still make existing profiles and rigs sound the same.

My plan is to let your profiles and rigs sound the same in 15 years, as you have created it today. No matter what hardware, software or firmware you run it on. Of course there will be improvements and paradigm shifts. But no technical innovation can algorithmically improve the sounds that you have created by 20% or whatsoever. If there is an innovation, you will have to add it to your sound by hand and in purpose."