Thinking about taking the plunge

• what i mean is that a lot of the profiles are "raw" - attempts at relatively neutral amp settings, with no boosts, and no effects turned on. that can sound especially "dry" depending on the patch, and if you're demo'ing them solo, they can be easily passed over.

i disagree that ANY patch/rig can claim to be "mix-ready" when an optimal mix is variable based on external parameters. for example, what the other instruments are and how they are voiced; what guitar/pickups/pick/playing style are you using as opposed to how the author dialed in the patch/rig. but of course, I get the general sentiment, and would agree with you - if you use the patches in the kind of mixes you'd expect to hear with the rig, and played it on a similar guitar, it should sit nicely.

but i would also say that upfront the unit is far more dialed-in than any other unit i've ever had. i still like to tweak, but a lot of the profiles are amazing without doing anything to them.

• I've owned/used the GT-3, GS-10, X3L, GT-6, GT-10, RP1000, GSP1101, HD500 and the Axe II. IMHO the KPA is as close to plug-n-play as you'll get with any of these. I think a lot depends on what kind of tone you are after. My favorite profiles are the soundside plexi, my Dirty Shirley and my QuickRod profiles. I don't like tweaking, all of the profiles that I use are pretty much untweaked, if I find myself wanting to tweak a profile I usually just go try a different profile.

As for the foot controller, I'm using the Ground Control Pro with two Mission expression pedals (Vol and Wah), it was really easy to setup and it works just fine, but it is a bit of a chore to program when a dedicated foot controller wouldn't require constant reprogramming, I will most likely pickup the Kemper foot controller when it is released.

Is the KPA perfect? No, but if you want to go digital it is IMHO by far the best solution available.

• My favorite profiles are the soundside plexi, my Dirty Shirley and my QuickRod profiles

Can't seem to find the Quick Rod on the exchange, is it still there? Tried every which way plus searching under your name, got the Dirty Shirley but no QuickRod...?

• Can't seem to find the Quick Rod on the exchange, is it still there? Tried every which way plus searching under your name, got the Dirty Shirley but no QuickRod...?

Sorry about that, I haven't used the exchange in a while, I just uploaded a few, these are the ones that I have been using lately along with the soundside profiles...

QR-1st 09oc i5 BST (QuickRod Crunch)
    QR-1st 11oc i5 BST (QuickRod Heavy Crunch)
    QR-1st 15oc i5 BST (QuickRod Lead)
    DS L-1 i5 POS-4.5 (Dirty Shirley Edge Of Breakup)
    DS L-2 i5 POS-4.5 (Dirty Shirley Crunch)
    DS H-4 i5 POS-4.5 (Dirty Shirley Heavy Crunch)
    DS H-7 i5 POS-4.5 (Dirty Shirley Lead)

• I have played all over the States sharing the stage with many bands who you know and love and have been an avid tube amp User since the 60s......not anymore ....the Kemper has changed the equation of what a " guitar amp " is to me. A remarkable piece of gear. I'm selling off my guitar amps...... its that good. CRISTOF......MANY MANY THANKS!!!!!! :thumbup:

TONE IS PARAMOUNT :D8) 8o

Edited 2 times, last by Rod ().

• i disagree that ANY patch/rig can claim to be "mix-ready" when an optimal mix is variable based on external parameters.

You're right, of course. But the point we're discussing here is that the "mix ready" rigs have been tweaked to fit a certain mix, and this is a further reason why they may not sound right by themselves to a specific user.

:)

• You're right, of course. But the point we're discussing here is that the "mix ready" rigs have been tweaked to fit a certain mix, and this is a further reason why they may not sound right by themselves to a specific user.

:)

Exactly. What I wrote further above was to say that these rigs were done by professionals who know where approximately their place in a mix has to be and how a rig should reflect this as opposed to 'only delve in my sound' without taking into consideration that I'm stepping into the territory of my bass player/keyboard player/ etc.

• i'm not trying to be stubborn. just 2 sentences after the quoted one above, i said:

"but of course, I get the general sentiment, and would agree with you - if you use the patches in the kind of mixes you'd expect to hear with the rig, and played it on a similar guitar, it should sit nicely."

for me, a lot of the factory rigs are just not my style. So I go to the rig exchange, and those rigs are dialed-in all over the place. Or I start tweaking factory rigs - adding boosts, effects, etc. My point is that it's not some form of evil to not be impressed right away and to need to take some time to find the profiles you like or tweak the profiles you have until you really like them. but the extent of how much work you NEED to put in is relatively low compared to other units.