Power amp+cab or FRFR?

• Howdy guys

I realize this has been asked a million times here but I'm asking because this is about MY situation and everyone is different.

Been using my lunchbox for close to a year...mostly running direct but occasionally I'll run it with my Marshall DSL100/cab or a smaller Marshall Haze combo that I borrow. I'm seriously thinking of selling off the half stack for the following reasons:

1) I never plug it in at home and have brought it to probably 5-10 shows in the last 6 months (out of about 20-25 shows)
    2) I usually will run IEMs about 80% of the time. The other times I will use normal wedges and sometimes I'll use a combo of both. As far as how it gets to FOH is up to the sound man that night. Some like to mic and some go direct. I give them the option.
    3) DSLs and Marshall cabs are a dime a dozen. Easily replaceable if I ever feel the need to grab another.
    4) I do A LOT of recording with the KPA and the half stack is taking up precious room in my room/studio. (with nowhere else to really store it)

So I'm thinking of selling it off and doing one of the following and looking for feedback/advice:

1) buy a combo to run the KPA through at gigs that's loud but compact. (keep in mind I MIGHT still be able to borrow said combo from above sparingly)
    2) Go for a 1U power amp that has enough power for large stages and a 212 cab
    3) Go FRFR to take advantage of the KPA's true power. I'm a noob at this so any help is appreciated here. My budget depends solely on what I sell the half stack for. I'm thinking I could get about a grand for the pair on the local used market but would really like to keep the price lower than that if possible.

Thanks in advance!

• I realize this has been asked a million times here but I'm asking because this is about MY situation and everyone is different.

I feel you Richard, but the above will be the weak point of this thread. People will (and already are, as a matter of fact) answer according to their preferences and experience.
    I'll try to be less specific, if this can be of help.

No doubt that the most faithful reproduction of the KPA sounds comes from FRFR. What makes people usually hate FRF IMO is the lack of transparency and lack of undistorted headroom many models exhibit. I believe the AA CLR has changed the game, it can give you very satisfactory results in any circumstances.
    OTOH, if you usually go IEM putting a grand on a cab can be wasted in a sense.

You don't say anything about your sonic preferences or expectations. Also, where would the new sound system mostly be used? On stage only? At home when you don't record? The mains scenario should get the most attention IMO

:)

• Thanks for the reply!

I'm mainly a hard rock player...Marshall type sounds, Friedman, etc. I would be using the monitor(s) live on stages 80% of the time. It would need to push out enough power to handle large stages. I will make sure soundmen run my direct to FOH so that's not a big deal...the KPA sounds great that way.

• Well, if you want to master any stage and have a consistent sound, I'd definitely put one grand over a CLR. You'll never regret it, and you'll be able to use it (maybe along with a twin when time comes) in several situations (music listening, stereo guitar rig, studio monitoring, group PA... you name them).

OTOH, if you are one of those guys whom can't stand an FRFR system and need the 4x12 blowing their back, there are cabs which give the punch of a guitar cab but have more linearity and band width, such as some Matrix and some KPA-Solutions. They won't be suited for music or studio monitoring though.

:)

• I've tried several of the options that have been mentioned and still use the Alto 12" via monitor out with the Kemper volume control. At 800 watts it provides more than enough umph and gives me the sound that is going through the PA. You really cannot beat that option for the price. Curious to see what you think about it.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup: