A few live use questions

• Hey guys. Great community you have going here! I have a few questions that I am SURE have been asked and answered, but cannot for the life of me find clear answers to... I am just about ready to take the plunge and get a kemper, but would like to know these things first.

1st, I am very comfortable with a normal 3 channel amp live. I know you can set up a midi pedal to do the same thing, but how easy is it tweak the tone settings on the fly? Say I get to the venue and my clean channel seems a little bright. I turn the treble down, but if I switch to the crunch channel and then back to clean, wouldn't it forget my tweak? Is it as simple as hitting 'save' or something after the tweak, or more complicated?

2nd, is it possible to program the effects to act like normal pedals on a midi board? Can I assign a switch to control a delay and have it act just like a normal delay pedal over all three channels. For example, I am on clean and turn on delay. Then I switch to crunch, and the delay is still on (or the other way around). Just exactly like a normal pedal. Or do I have to program delays on each channel and decided if I want them to be on or off by default?

Thanks for any help guys! I hope my questions make sense. I guess I really just want to know how close I can get a kemper to act like a traditional tube amp+pedals setup.

• Hi welcome to the gang. I was like you only used 3 channels of an amp dirty, clean and a solo channel.

Tweaking live is easy all the buttons you will need to turn during a gig are on the front of the KPA

What you were saying about the delay on every channel. This can be done by locking the effect so it will stay on with whatever patch you do. This is a great feature and I've used it alot.

Trust me from someone who's used the KPA live every weekend for a year now you won't be dissapointed. Its a great piece of kit and easily tweakable :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. Many moons ago I tried to get along with a Johnson modeling amp, and it was so hard to tweak. I love the sounds I'm hearing from the kemper, and just want to be sure I can treat it like a normal amp. You have been very helpful.

• I use my Kemper live all the time. It's really easy to tweak in this situation because in my case, the toaster is on a combo amp stand set at waste level facing me just to the right of where I stand. Much easier than going back to your amp to tweak that's next to the drummer

TONE IS PARAMOUNT :D8) 8o

• I use my KPA all the time live just like a real amp head , just turn the Gain or EQ & volume on the go....

Also , the delay , reverb and modulation effects can be adjusted in the same way.....like having a few hundred normal amps / cabs there in front of you... super easy !

• I turn the treble down, but if I switch to the crunch channel and then back to clean, wouldn't it forget my tweak?

Yes.

Is it as simple as hitting 'save' or something after the tweak

Yes.

2nd, is it possible to program the effects to act like normal pedals on a midi board? Can I assign a switch to control a delay and have it act just like a normal delay pedal over all three channels. For example, I am on clean and turn on delay. Then I switch to crunch, and the delay is still on (or the other way around). Just exactly like a normal pedal.

Yes, or you can just use 2 double footswitches like the Boss FS-6.

• I'm not sure if I understand. When I play sound (or preset or rig) "A", switch on the delay and then go to sound "B", the delay is off again, if not programmed to be on on sound "B". So it doesn't behave like a stomp witch I can aktivate and than change channels of my 3-channel tubeamp independently without affecting the status of the (stomp-) delay. Or do I miss (-understand) something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Yes, but than it's on everytime you change the "channels". As he wrote "or the other way round" I think he wants to stay the delay in whatever status he puts it before changing "channel". Delay on, change channel: delay still on. Delay off, change channel: delay still off. That's like a normal analog stomp delay would behave. The Kemper would not.

• When i set up a performance and lock delay it's state remains unaltered when switching slots manually. I dont have my Midi board at home to test what happens when switching via Midi. Normally changes to a slot in a performance are discarded when switching to another rig. But i'd expect the delay to keep it's state when its locked.

• Yes, but than it's on everytime you change the "channels". As he wrote "or the other way round" I think he wants to stay the delay in whatever status he puts it before changing "channel". Delay on, change channel: delay still on. Delay off, change channel: delay still off. That's like a normal analog stomp delay would behave. The Kemper would not.

This is exactly what I want to know. While not a deal breaker, I have developed my style and writing around the way a normal delay pedal works in the loop of a normal channel switching tube amp. Picky, I know. (Tho I suppose if it was a big deal, I could just use a normal delay pedal. Ha!)

The BOSS FS-6 looks interesting! How would it work with what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks again guys! Super helpful!! :)

• There is a difference in behaviour between switching manually and switching per midi when you are in performance mode. I knew I've read about it some time ago and just found the threat: This is was Burkhard (Kemper staff) wrote:

"It's true, as soon as you move to another performance your modifications are scrapped, if you forget to save the performance before you leave.

While changing slots within one performance it makes a difference, if you are loading slots manually (using the rig navigation cross) or via MIDI.

When you are preparing and fine-tuning your arrangements, you might do this via the Profiler's front panel. In this case all modifications are maintained. So for example you could activate and tweak Stomp A of the rig in slot 1, move to slot 3 to load another rig from Browse Pool, come back to slot 1 and Stomp A would still be active. All modifications are maintained while you are moving between slots manually until you leave the performance.

On stage you might load slots via MIDI. Let's assume you load slot 2 and activate Stomp X. If you now move to another slot using MIDI program change or control change, this modification will be scrapped. Therefor next time you load slot 2 again it will return in it's initial state (Stomp X off), which is much more predictable for your live performance. Otherwise any temporary modification of for example Delay Mix via pedal would 'infect' the rigs in the slots and you would need to change performances to get the performance back into its initial state. Or worst case - you decide for example to adjust the gain in slot 2 a bit, store the performance to make this change permanent, and by doing so store all these 'infections', which were meant to be temporary. All modifications are scrapped, if you are leaving a slot via MIDI program change or control change."

I don't think locking the slot will solve your problem, but I haven't tried myself yet (still using browser mode).
    Hope that helps.

• I just set up Midi controllers in Logic to switch via MIDI. I start in a slot with Delay off, turn on Delay, switch to next slot and the Delay stays on. I turn Delay off, next slot => Delay stays off, so thats the the way a real stomp works. BUT the delay (or any othe locked stomp/FX) settings stay the same for all slots.