Using SPDIF

• Hi guys

My SPDIF cable arrived today for my KPA to plug in to my interface (FireWire Solo, M-Audio). When plugging the cable from the KPA's output to the interface's input. There is no signal, I already have all the drives installed on my MAC for my interface.

Does anyone know what I can do to work the SPDIF cable through my KPA to FireWire interface?

Thanks

Tim

A riff a day, keeps the doctor away.

• Hi Tim, welcome to the Kemper community :)

1. Make sure you sync your interface to the Profiler's S/PDIF.
    2. Press'n'hold the Output button to get to the Output menu. Go to page 5/5 and check the "SPDIF Volume". I usually set it to somewhere around -6dB to -3dB.

• Hi Tim and welcome,

please check the Output Source setting => press and hold Output => page 1. Set the SPDIF Output to the source you want to record or monitor through your interface. As lightbox said set the interface to sync to the Profiler that has to be Master to your system with 44.1kHz and 24 bit to avoid clicks and pops. And just to be sure: check if Profiler Out goes to interface in (i mix it up myself sometimes).

Cheers
    Helge

• Hello both, thanks for the welcome!

I have used all the knowledge that you have provided. I am having a signal now through my input. However, the problem now is with the output. Do either of you use FireWire Solo? The software is "cheap". Ill keep having a go until something happens.

Thanks for your guidance so far :D

Tim

• Hi HELL-G

When I have signal and playing through logic recording, it comes back fuzzing (I assume clipping). The levels are down on the KPA so I don't know the problem.

• Tim, just so we're clear, are you trying to reamp DI's using the KPA? see http://www.wikpa.org/Recording#Reamping

Jonjourdan, my advice would be to start a thread for your specific device. There's way too many of these "SPDIF help!" posts and you'd probably have better luck for your device if it was your own thread. otherwise check the wikpa link above.

• The problem is when I enter Logic, it starts to clip. I can play my KPA through my interface and hear it (computer on). But when I go to Logic the guitar and everything else starts to clip...
    Sorry about this, taking too long to figure out

Really appreciate the help and responses

• Maybe you are routing the Guitar back to the interface causing an overall level that starts clipping. This would also cause some kind of phasey sound.
    Be sure to deactivate software monitoring in logic and monitor through the interface only.

• Cheers Hell-G

My signal atm is KPA (SPDIF) *out* > M-Audio Firewire (SPDIF) *in*.

I open my M-audio software and I can hear my KPA fine, however when I turn on logic it starts to go fuzzy and clip.

Absolute disaster

• I have no idea about Logic, but maybe you've set it up to monitor the input?
    This isn't necessary with an audio interface capable of Zero Latency Monitoring and it might lead to what you describe (increased level up to clipping plus strange effects due to the latency introduced through Logic's monitoring).

Cheers,
    Martin

• Hi Tim,
    are you on Logic X? I use Logic too and do not have any issues. My interface is a Focusrite 6i6, i'm using SPDIF and analog connections alongside for doing some testing etc.
    Could you post a screen shot of your settings in Logic so i can try to figure out what may be the root of this sonic evil?

Cheers

• As I said before, with Logic running, you hear the same signal twice. The direct signal from the Profiler and then the monitoring of the same signal through Logic (with some added latency).
    Disable Software Monitoring and everything related to Input Monitoring in Logic. You don't want that, you want to use the zero latency monitoring of your audio interface.

• Hi guys
    I have just took of the "software monitoring" and I am still having issues. I have ordered myself a Focusrite 6i6 interface, hopefully that should do the trick :)

• When i disable 'Software Monitoring' in Logic i do not hear the signal coming in from the Profiler. The Input button does nothing then. I have to monitor through the Focusrite Mixcontrol Software.

What is that 'spdif sw rtn' in the M-Audio software? Try muting this, maybe the sound is fed back here?

Well, the 6i6 works well, i've got it and had no issues so far. Be sure that you monitor through one source only: Scarlett Mixcontrol Software OR Logic with added latency. I recommend using the zero latency monitoring via mixcontrol (obviously).