Flash Drive, WTF?

• I totally sympathize with you, Bikedude. I was quite surprised that i not only needed a usb stick to go and forth to computer, but also that the kpa would have to format it. Fortunately these days will soon be over once rig manager is here. Also i agree that the documentation isnt very easy to find. I am glad you have calmed down a little bit. Once you get past this hump you'll be very happy with the unit

• Thanks people, I'm looking forward to the new rig manager. I'm going to try a new stick tonite, man I've got $25 tied up in Flash Drives, at least if I can format one, ill have a backup for any prob. On a gig.

• I understand your pain bikedude, I had moments like this myself. If you're like me you read the supplied manual, and then screamed at all the missing steps (like telling you what to do, but not how...like the very first thing it tells you to do, setting the clock). Then you have to post a question and scroll through all the RTFM answers before some kind soul posts the answer. The main problem is a lot of info is spread out over 3 manuals (counting the addendum), but they don't mention that fact in the manual you get with the profiler.

I had similar problems at first. I understand Kemper recommends a 4GB drive, although it works for me on an 8. Sometimes it's slow to recognise the drive and I have to reinsert. It can take a few seconds before it shows up, under soft button #3 (just above the display). It will say external storage. Press that, and then you will see from left to right,

Backup/Restore Import/Export .... Format Device (under soft key #4)

Hit #4, and it should format your drive. You should then be able to do a backup using Soft key #1.

Exit out of that, pull out the drive and check on your PC there are 3 folders, Backups, OS Update, and Shared, if there is it formatted correctly.

You can then copy downloaded profiles (.kipr) to the shared folder, then plug it back in to the Kemper and select:

External Storage -Import/Export - Import

and it will import any new rigs on your drive
    Hope that helps, sorry if I missed any steps.

Edited once, last by Bevosss ().

• Bikedude, I get your frustration. I read the manual when I got my first KPa ( which I stupidly returned) And reread it and the appendum several times in the 2 monthe befor I wisely got another one, and I was confused on several things. But I'm old (63) and having not been been weened on computers some of it is just damn confusing. Now I'm not cmputer illiterate, but not computer literate either, but once I figured it out it's been an easy box to use. I started with a good quality blank stick and formated in in KPa and have none of the mounting problems some experience. Good luck it F**kin Rocks

• it would have been alot easier for a lot of us KPA owners, if kemper would have included (or offered for sale even) a DVD Tutorial on operating, the kpa , & yes i would purchase a DVD , i live in illinois (usa) & have severe sinus problems,& live with head aches, which quite often, turns into migrains,so my attention span is not very long, i get really frusterated with trying to use the kpa other than turning a few knobs(patch's & tone ), so , i have had the kpa for over 1 1/2 yrs, & sometimes i dont even use it for months, it's been about 4 months now, So Bikedude i feel your frustrations, i have been thru the the usb t/drives ordeal more times than i want to remember, heck , i went thru 9 of them the last time (last summer) IF someone took the time to make a tutorial dvd, i would definatly buy one ( within reason $$ wise) No i'm not ranting, or complaining,just stating my opinon, BTW in the construction season i work 16 hr days(2 jobs), & if i get 15- 30 minutes to play , i really dont have the time try to figure out the manual, so. i usualy just plug into one of my other amps, i have enough of them to keep me ocupied, I Really was hoping for the f/c ..oh well

Edited once, last by rdwilson ().

• Thanks, and I know I'm frustrated. I've downloaded both manuals, and really there isn't much info about this, which I think should be explained better by CK. when I bought the "stick" all they had were 8GB units, so I got that one, reading on this forum that 1GB's were sufficient . I think I got the KPA to format, but I get no reaction on the Windows 7 OS puter. I don't have another puter to try so I'm stuck with the one I have.

When you say you get no reaction on the computer, what kind of reaction are you expecting? It's not really supposed to do anything. Forgive me if this is basic computer 101, but did you navigate to the flash drive folder on your computer? Open that and you should see 3 folders that the KPA created...I think they are Backup, OS, and Shared. What happens when you open the folder? If they are there, you're good to go. Or are you saying the computer doesn't recognize the drive at all?

• Let the Kemper format the drive and DON'T PUT ANYTHING ELSE ON IT!
    I'd recommend deleting the imported rigs from the "Shared" folder on the USB drive after import.