recording

• Anyone know the best way when using an interface.. on how to set the recording volume, and does it matter so much
    on the outcome when playing back the recording.. basically does it make a different if you don't have the interface volume near
    max without clipping... or at least the output form the Kemper as loud as poss without clipping the interface..

thanks

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Same advice for 16 bit digital recording (CD quality is more than enough for what I do) - keep the peaks of your tracks in the yellow (no peaks above -3db), and all is good. Unless you record with compression, though, you may find it is safer to keep the track well below that, so a random peak will not ruin the take.

Something like the Kemper can be recorded at a lower level (entirely in the green) without running into noise problems, because there is no room noise added by a microphone.

BTW- when recording to an analog recorder, you DO want the signal on each track to be as loud as possible without distortion, so the tape hiss will be far below the sound. That is the where the tradition of 'as much signal as possible to tape' originated. I pretty much ignored the meters on my old Fostex reel to reel recorder, and kept the signal "warm, but not quite distorted".

• Thanks guys

so it makes a difference on the focusrite meter + the meter in reaper + the output if the kemper...

thanks for your replies

steve

• Generally speaking, in the digital domain a low recording level might give you not volume enough if you want that specific track to sound louder in the mix.

As for gain staging, you should start from the source of the sound, and step by step (and stage by stage) check that any stage feeds the next one with the strongest clean (and safe) signal.
    Ideally, all your levels should be @ 0 dB. But since you not always see the spikes, -9 or -12 is a good compromise. I wouldn't go above -6 anyway

:)

• 0db on Vu meter. That translates to anywhere between - 24 to - 12 on your daw meters depends how Vu meters are calibrated. Read up about k system and gain staging, in short you want to keep your levels nowhere near as loud as 0 on daw meter.

• I'm such a noob at this even though Ive ben using these things for years...

Kemper - Focisrite 8i6 - daw... the focusrite has just an input gain control that lights up when too high.. Reaper has the sliders...

my point os I dont know anything about gain staging as I havent read up on it.. but being that this is such a simple set up I was wondering if there were any rules that help.. kemper output should sound the same high or low volume.. focusrite in the green.. so reaper sliders below zero.. I'm really wondering if I should be able to tell the difference if its recorded loud or not, as the sliders etc etc bring the volume up with no added noise..

sorry, I'm very basic with this

thanks everyone too

steve

• Use the SPDIF on the Kemper and the Focusrite! It will sound much better than using the analog inputs on the Focusrite. (If you're already doing this, disregard) :D Plus it frees up your analog inputs for other stuff.

A big +1 on using SP/DIF for recording... it makes me smile everytime!!

Peace...
    bluzkat

Use the SPDIF on the Kemper and the Focusrite! It will sound much better than using the analog inputs on the Focusrite. (If you're already doing this, disregard) :D Plus it frees up your analog inputs for other stuff.

Remember OP if you do this to set your interface to slave as the KPA has to be the master and DAW sessions must be 44.2 khz as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I heard the SPDIF doesn't make any difference with the sound of the recording

what do you here in the difference.. might try it if you really hear something different

thanks

steve

• Remember OP if you do this to set your interface to slave as the KPA has to be the master and DAW sessions must be 44.2 khz as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never tried any of this before.. will my previous recordings still play the same if I change settings Reaper ..

• Cleaner. You're not converting digital to analog in the kemper, then going to an analog cable, then analog to digital in the Focusrite. Basically you're staying in the digital domain the entire time so there is zero loss or coloration from the conversion and/or your cables.

• Cleaner. You're not converting digital to analog in the kemper, then going to an analog cable, then analog to digital in the Focusrite. Basically you're staying in the digital domain the entire time so there is zero loss or coloration from the conversion and/or your cables.

Morning.. you wouldn't happen to have any samples comparing the two wold you. I remember reading this way back and the outcome was that it didn't make any noticeable difference.

steve

• Morning.. you wouldn't happen to have any samples comparing the two wold you. I remember reading this way back and the outcome was that it didn't make any noticeable difference.

steve

With good gain staging and reasonable equipment it doesn't make much of a difference.

Digital is the simpler and safer way though. No need to check interface levels, and you'll get the exact same levels from a rig every time. Most importantly, if you record a dry guitar track for reamping this will add absolutely no noise, and for high gain reamping keeping the noise floor way down is crucial.

• Thanks

so the Spdif cables only go from the KPA to the interface and then usb to computer.. where will I find the settings that I need to change in reaper and on the interface, I can't see any on the scarlett box itself..

steve

• Thanks

so the Spdif cables only go from the KPA to the interface and then usb to computer.. where will I find the settings that I need to change in reaper and on the interface, I can't see any on the scarlett box itself..

steve

You need to set your interface to clock to SPDIF. Guess it's in your Scarlett mixer. Your Reaper projects need to be in 44.1kHz....in "project settings/options" or sumthin'?