How much does the guitar affect resulting profile?

• If I take a profile of a Fender Twin Reverb, and refine it with a Les Paul, then use the profile with a Strat, will the tone sound unlike the Strat through a Twin Reverb?

• Not at all! Refining affects dinamics only, while ""setting up" refers to tonestack and gain. The manual clearly states that the instrument you use for refining doesn't affect the profile's characteristics.

:)

• There are clear differences, and those differences may have to do with the fact that different guitar have different gains to their pickup output.

I have seen that using a different initial profile (the one that the Kemper is one that is in the KPA) affects the outcome profile you are doing.

If you pick 2 different profiles and use the exact same profiling process you end up with 2 different sounding profiles.

Don't know if anyone has commented about this, but I've done it several times enough hot prove it to me.
    The largest differences are on strange "amps" like if you are profiling a modelers acoustic preset.

The strange thing is the end result isn't unlike the amp at all, just seemingly either louder, more presence, differences in some EQ parameters, but definitely different.

• Check this thread:
    Satisfy my curiosity ;)

There is a huge difference between non-refined and refined profiles.
    There's a very small difference between profiles refined with different guitar types. Small enough to just ignore.

Thanks!

Wow! That thread has a TON of great info.

Yes, it seems that the general opinion was that there were very small differences between profiles refined between different guitars, but the refinement process was essential.

• If the Kemper had no tone/Gain controls to tweak then it might be a problem,.
    But, the Kemper has Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence controls, besides all the other tweakable tone controls and EQ shaping options, much more powerful than the controls on a real amp.
    So, tweak the controls to suit your taste/guitar/pickups and the guitar used to make the original Profile becomes irrelevant.

• This discussion I'm making is largely theoretical.

I can get the tones of the amp. I'm more curious about what makes differences. (being a Scientist, what's the constants and variables)

When I saw that modeling an Acoustic setting on the Roland Cube altered very much depending on the starting profile I was surprised.

I found out by accident when I wanted to re-profile it and I stalled on "Performance" Mode long enough for it to change the profile!

THAT is VERY annoying! (probably because I have "Auto Load" checked)

• I don´t know if you have seen that yet but you might find that intresting:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I suspect that for Hi Gain you won't hear ANY difference.

For lower gain, I can hear clear, but subtle differences. But again, probably because each guitar has a different gain in it's output due to the differing pickups.

Soft of profiling with a Boost pedal at slightly different settings. So each profile will vary in volume slightly. At Hi Gain, you can't hear that.

There however is a much larger difference with differing start profiles (the one the KPA is set on when you begin profiling)

I'd like to hear more on that from those who've played with it.

• The only impact that the guitar being used in the profiling part of the process has is how it influences the user when setting the gain and tone controls of the reference amp to taste. Once the profiling process starts you can even unplug the guitar-it wont make no difference. The signals that the Profiler sends to the reference amp are independent of the guitar that is or was connected to the profiler during the profiling session.

• We're talking about the influence the guitar has during refining tho.

@ db: The same should happen with the same guitar used/strummed with different force. That's why people used to talk about which technique to use for good refining.