Questions from a new user

• Hi all,

New powerhead user here... just came over from the Axe FX and am learning the changes fairly easily but have a couple of questions.

1. Rig change lag/morph/whatever. I've read a lot of conversation on this topic but couldn't determine if Kemper has acknowledged it or are working on reducing the time to switch rigs. As it sits, it's almost a deal breaker for live use. I can kind of estimate the lag but makes for a sloppy transition. (BTW, using FAMC LF+ 12+)

2. User scales. I have most of my scales working as needed but there are a couple where there are notes not contained in a scale. (i.e. Muse Assassin intro) The AXE FX allowed me to create custom scales based on notes. So I could + or - the amount of semitones for a note without specifying a scale. The KPA looks like it deals with steps of a scale thus not allowing those situations where notes fall out of scale. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks, Jay

• As for the switching delay, check whether your LF is sending more than one command. There's free software allowing you to do this. AFAIG, the switching time on the profiler has been acknowledge as being... mean :D

• There's also the Pure Tuning option, so that your 3rds, 5ths, etc. are perfect 3rds/5ths, instead of equal termperament 3rd/5ths. Not sure if the option is available on user scales or not. There is no ability to tweak further than that, say +3 semitones AND + 12 cents.

• IIRC, the Profiler's average switching time was evaluated similar to the Axe's.
    OTOH, some users report a lag which, at this stage, should depend on something else than pure code (specific software situations, hardware conflict...), because not everyone is reporting it.

Have you checked the msgs sent by your board? What are the results?

• You can do completely customizable user scales where any note is mapped to any other note on the 12-tone scale. Maybe not past a certain number of octaves, but you're not limited to traditional scales or modes.

Thanks! Got it working as needed!

Edited once, last by jbis ().

• IIRC, the Profiler's average switching time was evaluated similar to the Axe's.
    OTOH, some users report a lag which, at this stage, should depend on something else than pure code (specific software situations, hardware conflict...), because not everyone is reporting it.

Have you checked the msgs sent by your board? What are the results?

Yeah, I'm seeing mixed results everywhere I look and I think it comes down to the way I use it. Some people just don't need precise timing on rig changes. I'm only sending PCs so that is all I'm seeing in MidiOX and I get zero lag on the Axe, eclipse and even my old Digitech 2120. I'm positive its the Kemper but i'm trying to determine if it's a hardware/software issue or if thats just how they are.