EurekaPROM vs UnO4Kemper

• Sorry to hijack this thread, but is it possible to program the original FCB1010 chip to function the same way as the Eureka or U4K chip? If so, what options would it be lacking? Does the tuner display work without a chip upgrade?

To my understanding this is not possible ( re- programming the original chip).
    Do you find the new eproms too expensive?

• To my understanding this is not possible ( re- programming the original chip).
    Do you find the new eproms too expensive?

No, the cost isn't the issue. I was considering personalization rather than cost. Do the eproms need upgraded eventually or do they have firmware updates?

• No, the cost isn't the issue. I was considering personalization rather than cost. Do the eproms need upgraded eventually or do they have firmware updates?

That's the whole problem with using an FCB with aftermarket chip. You can't customize it the way you want.

No firmware updates for them either.

• True, but it just works straight out of the box without any setup as well (other than installing the PROM.

Updates in the PROM are only required to be purchased if new features are added to the Kemper that are not already handled (like when 2.x included performance mode).

If you have recently (like 1 month) purchased an Uno4Kemper chip and they come out with a new rev, they will discount the upgrade by 1/2 I think.

Otherwise, the ~ $20.00 for a new chip isn't that steep IMHO.

Consider the cost of most of the competing solutions at around $400-$1000.00.

• For me I would rather have the option to pay whatever and have a controller that is customizable to the way I need to use it. If that means spending $500 - $1000, I don't care.

$20 is peanuts for a new chip. A new FCB 1010 and chip runs less than $200 for both, so its a decent basic option, yes.

• Oh, I agree that flexibility is very important ..... to some part of the market.

One might guess that with a product like the Kemper which is about as fancy a guitar gizmo as you can find on this Earth today, the the kinds of people that would naturally gravitate to the Kemper would also be the kinds of people that would want a very flexible and programmable foot controller.

For me, the Uno4Kemper was an obvious solution since I had an FCB1010 gathering dust in my basement on a shelf (and the wife considers anything that hasn't been used in 2 years to be fair game for eBay ;) ). It also helped ease the pain of the explaining the "need" to purchase a $2,000.00 gizmo for what is more-or-less a hobby for me.

There are things I miss with this "value" solution. I would love to see the preset names on my foot controller. I miss being able to hit a button to switch a patch, and then hit the same button again to toggle back to the previous patch, the volume pedal is nearly useless, I dislike having to power the foot controller separately, and the buttons on the FCB are just a bit too close for me.

It isn't a high end solution by any stretch of the imagination, but it is capable of getting the job done and covers all the features of the Kemper nicely (especially the performance mode which I can not live without).

• I originally used the Eureka Prom for the Eleven Rack and it worked great.

Then, I purchased the Uno4Kemper for my new Kemper (at the time) and have been using that. When the Eureka chip was updated, I bought that to try again with the Kemper.

I bought the most recent version of the EP a couple of months ago but just tried to use it tonight. Ugh. I could not get the hang of how to use it after an hour. Yes, the cables were properly plugged in. Trying to get Favorite mode to work correctly after following the online instructions was hit and miss. I'm yanking it out.

I just ordered the latest Uno4Kemper chip and will use that from now on. It always worked flawlessly without having to do anything.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Why give up so easily? Isn't there a dedicated forum for the Eureka, too?
    There are also a few users here with good results, I ink.

Why bother when the U4K works automatically? It does what I require without hassle. More time to play....less time stressing! :thumbup:

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Yesterday I ordered the EurekaPROM v2, the guy on Ebay.UK is selling the UNO and Eureka for a good price, more cheaper than in Uno and Eureka site.

So, yesterday I tried to configure the FCB1010 with the original chip and I could not do anything, very frustated, even making the Kemper recognizing the FCB.

I hope with this new Chip Eureka V2 I can setup everything