Budget FRFR

• Hi there.

I am looking for a ‘budget’ frfr.
    Most of the time I will use it in home situation with posibility to do small gigs.

I consider.

RCF ART 310A MKIII
    RCF ART 312A MKIII
    Mackie SRM450V2
    Mackie TH-12A
    Mackie TH-15A

I know there is a lot been written about this.
    But I like to hear from people who compared or use the speakers in combination with the KPA.

Thanks for your help!

• I heard the alto's in an axe fx speaker test movie on internet. i did not like them compared with the mackies and rcf speakers. But I don't trust the youtubes. So I like to hear opinions from ppl who compared them in real life.

• I have a pair of alto ts115a's and they are great speakers. I found them for $225 each :D You should definitely check them out in person. Also, I would really suggest going to a local music store and checking a bunch of different brands out- no one can tell you over the internet what your ears will like. Best of luck.

• On a budget you may also consider Behringers F1320D wedge. It's available for less than half the price of a Mackie SRM450. In the SRM450-pricebracket I would personally prefer a Yamaha DXR10.

• I consider every tip about frfr but cannot compare them all. And thats why i tried to get some inside info.
    it is not easy to find a store that have them all and also have a nice salesman who likes to a/b the whole bunch.

• Hi there, back.. ;) I ordered the alto ts112a v2, rcf 312a mk3, and the yamaha dxr 10..they arrived today so i started comparing them. Pfff... ;( I can not choose between the rcf and yam. Busy whole day with testing, 2 different worlds. The yam has so much potential and sounds very close, into your face and allround but the rcf has more transpant, sparkle and depth. The yam sounds smooth, almost hifi and the rcf has more grid like a real cabinet both has it charm. But what is bothering me is that the yam feel laggie, i have the idea that the yamaha has more latencie then the rcf.. especially with fast staccato licks i feel a little disconnected with the speaker. I see nobody else complain about latencie from the yamaha... anybody?

Ps, the alto is okay, but i dont like the high freq., compared with the yam and rcf it sounds if there is a blanket on the sound.

• Meul, the highs on my Alto are usually ear-piercing, but I did notice at one point that if you tilt it a certain way, it sounds like the high frequency horn disengages or something like that. Definitely gets that blanket effect when that happens. I only had it happen once. I just unplugged it and tried it again and it was fine. I'm not sure if it's a hardware fault or some kind of design choice or something to do with the DSP.

So...mess with it - maybe that's the same thing happening with yours. I'm curious to hear your opinion on a good A vs. B. I don't doubt the Yam and RCF are preferable, but the price is also quite different.

• Meambobbo,
    I just sent the Alto back to the store where I bought it. I compared the Alto’s several times with the Rcf and Yamaha. The Alto sounded good but to much like a compromis that hide subtle differences between pickup variations and profiles. since there is no need to go cheap, I sent the speaker back.

After 2 days comparing I am a little disappointed in the Yamaha after all good reviews on this forum. I tend more to Rfc in despite the willing to love the Yamaha. Perhaps I judge too quickly, but in one way or another the Yamaha gives me the feeling to play on a ordinary modeler again, strange.. compressed, to easy, less interaction between input and output, tho, compared to Rcf and Alto with my own setup. I do not understand why I seem to be the only one that noticed the latency from the Yamaha?. There are also some very good points for the Yamaha but from my point of view the latency is overruling all the goodies.

The good things are that the profiles sound wise differ more on the Yamaha then on the Rcf and the Alto and therefore is more versatile then the others. The transition from clean sound that become distorted is very nice on the Yamaha, clean sounds are very fresh. I hear no annoying hiss reported by other users. Lot of eq para’s on the back. Negative thing is that you really need it :rolleyes: especially to dial out the low end that tend to boomy.

The Rcf 312a MK3 keeps me playing more than the yam. I think that the Yamaha dxr 10 will be a good fit for bluesy/rock, pop, funk, I’ll guess the Rcf is more in favor with the rock/metal player. in despite that low-end is not always is a bliss for guitarplayers , the Rcf has plenty of it but all well mixed with nice crisp high. the Rcf has more warmth and sounds bigger, maybe because the 10 vs 12 inch or maybe I just like cheap shit sounds… ahum.. It would not surprise me if the Yamaha will cut through the mix/band more than the Rcf. Still I like the Rcf more, its all personal off course..

• I agree but it depends on your needs. I just use my Alto for when I want to jam in my living room, which isn't even an everyday thing, or if I want to jam with some friends, which is maybe 4 times a year.

If you want something to use professionally, or as your main monitoring solution, the best thing you can do is test drive the options yourself like Meul did.

• I'm not gigging but my first shot at FRFR was budget level - Mackey Thumps. Returned them the next day. I've settled on studio monitors/sub but if I were gigging primarily I would just save up and skip the budget level and go for a CRL. DXR10 was tempting me but the reports of some hiss kept me away since I would really be playing at mostly low/moderate volume levels.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• I think of the term "budget FRFR" sort of in the same way I think of "budget open heart surgery". My advice is, if you possibly can, save up for an FRFR solution that doesn't involve any compromises.

I doubt if more expensive is always better. Although the Yamaha in price not much different from the RFC, Yam is more expensive, but less well for my needs. I do not believe there is a frfr solution that covers it all tho I am curious for the Qsc K12. Anyway, for now I just share my personal opinion which may contribute to the choice of other people

• Well a CLR would certainly cover it all!
    As for the yamaha, have you tried another lne. Might it be your unit is somehow damaged?
    Hiss: it usually comes from an incorrect gain staging. Lower the cab's gain, and supply a robust signal to it.

:)

• Well a CLR would certainly cover it all!
    As for the yamaha, have you tried another lne. Might it be your unit is somehow damaged?
    Hiss: it usually comes from an incorrect gain staging. Lower the cab's gain, and supply a robust signal to it.

:)

Hi, today I read that more ppl on this forum noticed the latency so I do not think that it was a faulty input. I said that I do not heard any noticeable hiss! I really have difficulties with writing english sorry if I was not clear. I can not judge the clr, only know it from the youtubes and through nice reviews on this forum, just like the yamaha dxr10 :D