Kemper > Yamaha DXR: Cable experiments

• What do you mean. It's just connected like a normal monitor. Instead of a instrument cable I now use a XLR cable connected with the Neutrik Adapter.
    Input sensitivity (Clean sense...is that what you mean?) has nothing to do with it.

• Is this just an adapter? If so your cable is still not carrying a symmetrical signal. But having symmetrical signals is basically the reason to use a XLR cable, otherwise you will still pick up more noise from the environment than neccessary. I believe the difference in hiss you notice comes more from of the different input sensitivity that XLR inputs normaly have, compared to TRS inputs.

The better way to do it is to use a DI-Box, which gives you a real symmertical (or balanced) signal. You can get one for 10 euros.

This is exactly what I am doing, I have a little DI-box sitting on top of my toaster, the leather belt of the KPA holds it in place. Then I have a short patch cable running from the KPA monitor out to the DI-Box and from there a XLR cable to the monitor. By doing it this way, only the 20 cm patch cable is not symmetrical and the XLR cable is used the way it is meant to be used.

• What do you mean. It's just connected like a normal monitor. Instead of a instrument cable I now use a XLR cable connected with the Neutrik Adapter.
    Input sensitivity (Clean sense...is that what you mean?) has nothing to do with it.

I meant the Level on the DXR. If you have the Level for the XLR inputs set to the same spot as you did for the jack inputs, they will be much less sensitive. This will attenuate picked up noise. I wondered because, if so, you could probably have achieved the same by just reducing the Level for the jack inputs on the DXR as I suggested.

• That's what I did before to get the noise under control...I had set it to -8db.
    With my new XLR Adapter strategy I can turn the DXR all the way to the right ......still no noise!