In the market for a new cab ...

• Hey There,
    I'm in the market for a new cab , probably a vertical 2x12.

I was thinking of the option of getting some FRFR cab instead of a regular cab, but I dont really know the companies involved in that market.

Could anyone recommend some good options for a decent price?

Regards,
    Shai.

• Thanks Adam!
    Are there any types more recommended then the others?
    I know quite enough about regular cabs, but absolutely nothing about FRFR cabs so I'm not really sure what to look at other then a price.

• There are definitely some that get more attention. I can only personally speak for the yamaha dxr10 which is what I use and am very pleased with (light weight about 31 lbs, sounds great and has three channel "mixer" within the speaker. Other very popular brands that you will get a lot of input about are:
    1. Atomic CLR (viabcore will probably give you as much info as you can handle)- many believe this is the top notch. Comes in wedge or cab form. The newer model is more expensive but weighs in less than the older version
    2. Matrix Q12A- There are some new ones too like fr212
    3. Alto- known for cheaper solution
    4. RCF Art 300- think i named this one correctly. Some like this solution. I have no experience with it
    5. QSC k10
    6. JBL prx series
    7. Mackie HD series
    8. Yamaha DXR
    There are some videos made by Ingolf that are very useful and some great reviews by others too. It is a different vibe than the 4x12 traditional but I have come to love the sound and convenience. Let me know if you have other questions, and I'll help to the best of my ability. There are others here that will know far more than me. I just wanted to give you a place to start.

• When you go shopping for a FRFR cab, I like to compare it to shopping for HiFi cabs.
    1. You aim to go for accuracy of sound reproduction.
    2. Add to this certain personal preferences (i.e. you'll like some cabs more than others).

1+ 2 make up for an individual solution.
    While I found the Atomic CLR, the Matrix Q 12a and the Camper 112 CX to be the most accurate solutions I have found the Yamaha DXR 10 just as pleasant and a joy to work with on a daily basis.

What I also want to add is:
    The individual hearing and inter- individual differences due to different audiograms in different individuals make for different perception not only of rigs but also of cabs.
    So in the end I feel that when we strive for a most accurate FRFR solution to 'translate our sounds better' this is actually invalid as long we cannot prove (with an audiogram) that our own hearing is fairly 'flat' wihin the Fletcher- Munson expectations.
    But nobody does that AFAIK.

CONCLUSION: when you shop for a FRFR solution, 1.listen before you buy, and 2. if it sounds good it's good.

• I'd add this: the designing of a vertical 2x12 FRFR presents several issues. Matrix themselves had started it but gave up. Too many cancellations and comb filtering issues.
    You'll see, that switching to a good FRFR cab you won't miss 2x12 at all.

And of course I'd recommend you one or two AA CLRs if you can afford them :D

• Check if FRFR works for you before getting a cab.
    I tried many FRFR solutions (Atomic, Yamaha, Matrix...) ... while all sounded really good I just hated the "feel" when playing FRFR - guess it's just not for me...

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Thanks everyone,
    I'll try checking it out - I'm not sure about it plus I dont think I have anyone importing stuff like that to Israel.
    But i'll try to check out.

Shai

I hear you on this.....I was just about to order my CLR passive wedge....then I made note of the shipping charge and duties on top of the exchange rate. So were talking $750 for the passive cab, $100 for shipping and then the duty and import charges to Canada would be about $180. Convert the currency over and suddenly my price to buy a passive CLR is now $1150.

That beautiful custom Mesa 2x12 that I already have sitting in my studio and is already paid for suddenly sounds a whole lot better to my ears.

:S