It's all so great

• Okay... so I'm used to killing threads with my responses that I can live with, but a whole forum? Seriously? Ouch, I didn't think it was *that* bad for a couple of hours improv work form scratch.

My reactions like from here yesterday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w86qjdBnaQ to today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-fX0UbpZls

:P

I guess we live and learn. Of course in aid of that as a post mortem any tips on what you'd change/what exactly sucks would be greatly appreciated as clearly I'm clueless and lacking the prerequisite critical facility to level up my game.

Here's my own thoughts as of right now (although I currently lack the tools and know-how to solve these so any help) -

Vocals, weak as shit, however I don't have time to find a real vocalist so I'm going to keep on plugging at them till I can find some way to make use of them in an interesting way.

Song structure - boring/mundane, goes nowhere, I'd excuse it that it's just a jamming/random improvised noodle thing but that's not really an excuse, it's mediocrity which is lame. I need to up my game there even if I don't have time to write traditionally I can still improve my skills and approach to the point that this approach can work, I need to do some research there (any pointers, good reads, vids etc?).

Likewise problems of arrangement, mids heavy mess, poor production, shit in = shit out there. Gotta start being more mindful of natural instrument registers and overlap I guess, and holding off on layering up to find texture and tone before finding the song itself.

• https://soundcloud.com/per-anders/its-all-so-great

Apologies for the vocals, just a quickie, but I needed a break to get some crap out of the system and unfortunately stressful times tend to result in pretty introverted music. All good now though and I had fun making it! :)

FIRST: No need to apologize for anything - you created something that never existed before. And, some of the most popular songs of the Rock Era were made hits by people who considered themselves to be more performers than singers. LOL

MAYBE MOST IMPORTANT, considering your initial Post:
    Listening to your song, I can feel the fun you had while making it :) And, how great is it, that stress can be channeled into music that is this open and free sounding?

NUTS AND BOLTS: For a "mood piece", or, for that matter, atmospheric TV/movie music, the vocal level is fine - it is pretty much in line with some modern/psychedelic/garage songs that I've heard recently. Its true that EQ and level could be tweaked to separate the vocals and guitars, but, only if you want them to be that way.

BY THE WAY: Since this forum is much more "guitar playing-centric" than "songwriting-centric", it is not unusual to get no comments for any music posted here, that does not feature a rock, blues or shred solo. If you think of it that way, it makes sense, doesn't it? So, never take it personally, and remember - every watch/listen builds up the View/Play count :)

AS AN ASIDE:
    I really like the "Five Minutes" series, too - I recommend them to everyone who self-records, regardless of experience level. When I first switched to ProTools from Sonar, I saved a lot of time with his free videos, and with some of his reasonably priced other videos.

• Hey, thanks for taking the time to post all that (and listen). Good points for me to digest.

It is a more guitar centric forum, maybe I should have put the solo at the beginning rather than the end!

Don't fret about my ego though I know not to expect quick responses (if any) online, I was being tongue in cheek about killing the forum. It just happened the forum went quiet for a day after I posted, much too good of an opportunity to miss. :) And as a plus I've already learned some new things as a result of the responses.

• Per,
    I really like your song, it has its own identity as described paults "modern / psychedelic / garage" or even neo-psychedelic rock, or….

Wishing to give you a constructive advice, I would try to better fit the initial guitar riff with the beginning of the vocals. because in some point it seems they hide each other.
    then… listen to vocals that blend with each other is a feature that I personally like. The guitar solo instead comes out clearly from this typically Brit psychedelic word, but this is your artistic choice.
    and of course a good mix would make everything much more enjoyable.

my 2 cents

hope my english is understandable…