Program Change in browser mode with HD 500 as midi controller?

• I spent a lot of time at the wonderful wiki trying to see if this is possible. I downloaded the HD 500 file with the basic midi commands and even created the alt. version that addresses all 8 effects.

But I am stumped about program changes. On the HD 500 I can be on any patch and use the Scroll UP / Down buttons to go thru the patches. Is it possible in the Browser Mode to scroll up / down thru the various profiles / rigs stored there? This is not for a performance situation, just and alternative way to scroll instead of using the scroll or page buttons.

I love the idea of using the HD 500 as a controller, because when using the Variax (and cable) it can also power the guitar. No batteries needed.

Im also feeling at a loss about implementing the wah pedal. Read lots of different posts that gave me a little headache :)

• There is (as of now) no browse index up/down like you are referring to - only performance index up/down.

It may have something to do with how the rigs are actually ordered, which can be changed by one of the soft buttons above the display. Performance mode, on the other hand uses fixed indexes. Still it doesn't seem like something difficult to implement and sinfully lacking. I mean the Rig left/right buttons already do exactly what we want.

You can use the left/right Rig buttons to go through the rigs instead of using the browse knob. Also, the Rig up/down buttons will jump to the next rig with a different first letter if sorted by name. If sorted by author, you can jump authors. Much easier way to get around.

I would say I'll fire up the Pod and get it working, but I have a backlog of other stuff I need to do first. But when I figure it out, it'll get on the wiki.

• Thanks man. I got the feeling that might be the case as I tried to decipher all the Wiki midi info. Just a thought. No big deal.

Ive been battling trying to alter Gibsons midi control file in the manner that Lippi suggested a while back. Not sure why the HD 500 is fighting me. So I posted a request for that file since it seems to do most of what I need AND when using the Variax with the Kemper, I can power it from the HD 500 as well.

• Lasvideo
    I'm using the variax 69 with the HD500 and it works real good. I just set up one patch with the midi configured and just copy as many as I need to each patch. Just make sure you have a,b,c,d with some stomp in it on the KPA or else thr KPA tells you there a slot not filled. Be sure to assign a midi # to the KPA for each patch. I've been using this about 2 months now and finally got the hang of it. Steve

• Thanks Steve. I finally was able to build the patch that controls all 8 FX on the Kemper.Its based on this list created by Lippi.

CC# allocation:

EXP pedal 2 = #1 Wah Pedal
    EXP pedal 1 = #7 Volume Pedal

FS 1 = #17 Stomp A on/off
    FS 2 = #18 Stomp B on/off
    FS 3 = #19 Stomp C on/off
    FS 4 = #20 Stomp D on/off
    FS 5 = #22 Stomp X on/off
    FS 6 = #24 Stomp MOD on/off

FS 7 = #26 Delay on/off (cuts tail)
    or
    FS 7 = #27 Delay on/off (keeps tail)

FS 8 = #28 Reverb on/off (cuts tail)
    or
    FS 8 = #29 Reverb on/off (keeps tail)

TAP = #30 Tap
    Looper = #31 Tuner

Access to all Stomps on the KPA! :thumbup: ..but each rig change needs two steps... First step on "bank up/down, second on one of the A, B, C, D (which is in that mode FS5-FS8) to choose the rig.

Don't forget to set the same Midi cannel on both devices. I tested it with OMNI on the KPA and BASE on the HD500. And to allocate the MIDI numbers to the Rigs on the KPA. You can use number 1-64 as MIDI numbers fro your rigs. Should be enough for a Gig ;)

Just connect the HD500 MidiOUT with one single MIDI cable (5pins) to the KPA MidiIN... and it will work!

Steve,I need some of your statements clarified.

1. " just copy as many as I need to each patch."
    I dont understand what you mean here.

2." Be sure to assign a midi # to the KPA for each patch."
    Not clear on this as well.

I really like that I can control the Kemper AND power the Variax at the same time. :thumbup:

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• When i had the HD500 i was using it with the lower row of switch sending the PC and the upper row sending the CC.
    The toggle switch of the xpr pedal was sending the CC in order to control the Wah. So i could access to only 5 fx out of 8 (well, no big issue for the reverb, i never switch it of and keep the same for the whole gig).
    Unfortunately there's a compromise to make, AFAIK.
    The other option is to add to your controlling rig a little footcontroller sending the program changes to the Pod HD AND to the KPA.
    Like the Tech21 Midi Moose.
    The overall footprint is a a tad bigger but you have access to everything.