HD500 can send up to 128 midi program change messages to KPA, (but read the small print)

• There is a lot of good information on the forum and WIKPA about setting up and using the HD500 as a foot controller for the KPA so I won't repeat that here.

As far as I can see the consensus has been that the HD500 is limited to 64 fixed midi program number changes, hard wired consecutively to match the HD500 setlist. No user intervention required or allowed.

This, however, only applies in the "ABCD" foot-switch mode of the HD500, but not to the "Pedalboard" mode.

In the pedalboard mode the fixed midi program number changes are still sent, but you can stop the KPA from receiving these by making sure it is set on a different midi channel to the HD500. I used channel 1 for the HD500 and channel 2 for the KPA.

This meant that midi messages from the HD500 had to be programmed using midi channel 2. You have eight foot switches in pedalboard mode that you can use to send the various types of midi message to the KPA. One of these foot switches must be sacrificed to send a program change message to the KPA (0 to 127 user definable).

I have tested this and it works, but there are drawbacks. To change patches in pedalboard mode you have to press a bank change FS once (twice if you are also changing banks) and then press one of the ABCD switches to select the patch you want. This is normal for pedalboard mode, but additionally you then have to press the foot-switch which you assigned to send the midi program change message to the KPA.

This is very frustrating because those foot-switch settings with midi CC toggle status are being automatically sent to the KPA on the HD500 patch change. This meant KPA stomp settings were being changed before the rig change which could cause havoc on a patch change during a performance!

On the plus side you can re-order patches (drag and drop in HD edit) on the HD500 without it affecting your user defined midi program change numbers, and of course you can have 128 program changes by using two HD500 setlists.

Finally is there anyone out there who can figure out a way to trigger the midi program change message automatically from the HD500 when changing patches?

Sadly there is a tendency for me to spend too much time getting the HD500 to do what I want than actually playing the guitar, but then the HD500 always had that frustrating affect!

HELP!

• Thanks for that informative analysis. I feel the same about the situation, which is why I ordered the Behringer 1010 and EurkaPROM2 yesterday. So I can spend more time playing the guitar. :D

• Hi Lasvideo,

I know what you mean. I made a low offer, on eBay, on a second hand 1010 last night and unexpectedly won the bid. I've done some homework and EurekaPROM2 looks like the front runner for me as well.

Once that's set up I can also get back to the music!

Paul

• This seems too complicated and involves too much tap dancing. Glad you broke down and sprung for the FCB1010. Waiting for the KPA Footcontroller myself, keep dreaming that Mr CK recognises me as a Golden God supporting music through the ages and sends me a complimentary one, lol.

Say, Mr CK, how about a contest for a free KPA Footcontroller when they come out? Like a community building exercise :thumbup:

Didn't members of Led Zep start the trend of switching instruments on stage a la Dream Theater? AFAIK, they had a wicked dude doing it for free. Kind of like the Beatles in the studio, brr. A Hindoo religious leader or some kind of nut like that.