Second (after some weeks) experience with Kemper and DXR 10

• Just to give an update here. After many weeks of searching, reading and experimenting I finally decided last night after rehearsal to take my old Engl Raider and massive pedalboard back home.
    Only the Kemper with the DXR 10 is used now for reheasals, recording and (hopefully) gigs (have not gigged with this band yet).

Why?

1) I love to tweak sounds and effects at home
    I just take my Kemper back home (in the wonderful green fishermans bag 8) ) and tweak sounds there. I am using a scond DXR at home...so I have an identical setup.
    For rehearsal I just plug in the Kemper and all the sounds are just there. Maybe a little (10sec) tweaking to adjust effects to full band volume.

For just effects tweaking (when I already decided for the amp sound) even tweaking at night using good headphones works well.

2) We do record all rehearsals...so everybody can listen to it at home
    Obviously this is where the Kemper shines. I run the main out into the mixer and we record all tracks separately. I even started to record the dry guitar signal using direct out. Wonderful!

3) Recordings
    We started to record our songs for CD/Website/Demos etc.
    I just take the Kemper to the studio. Minor tweaking only (mainly reducing/deleting effects that will be added during the final mix) and I have the exact same sound as always. No noise, hiss or other issues.

4) Amp in the room feeling
    No. You do not get the same feeling playing it with the band compared to my previous setup (Engl Raider 100 + 2x12 cabinet = 3x12).
    There is just less air moved. Does not feel as intense anymore.
    But...I always had to play at very high volumes to make the Engl sound good. So...in reality it just felt intense but did not sound to good.

With the DXR the sound is excellent but when the band kicks in it does not sound as good I wished. But I can clearly hear myself from any position in the room and my band mates agree on that fact and do like the sound.
    As this is just my personal monitor the main objective is that I can hear what I am playing. And this is the case!

Summary:
    When I take all use scenarios and pros/cons into account....
    ....the Kemper clearly wins. It made my live much easier and is such a pleasure to play.

Do I sell my tube amps now? Mmhhh...not now....but I will profile them and then we'll see :rolleyes:

Edited once, last by MisterB ().

• When I use a sub with my monitors and match the db in volume, my monitors sound like my amp.

I don't get that people say it doesn't, except that they aren't doing these two things.

The physics are you need like-frequency and like-power of pushing enough air.

I don't have a lot of experience with FRFR's, but to me using the Sub makes all the difference. I can't rattle the wine bottles off the shelf with FRFR monitors, but I can with the sub like I did with the amp.

• @db9091: It sounds great at home I fully agree. But once the band kicks in (drummer, bass, 2nd guitar) it does not sound anymore as good as a 4x12.
    That's the only negative aspect of my setup. As I said...I carefully compared all pros/cons and the Kemper is a clear winner.

• interesting... what kind of sub do you use?

• Just a plain ol HS10W

But I admit I've not played with that setup and a live drummer. I leave the low end to the Bass player and Kick, I like the guitar to treble out in it's own space.