Upgrade the Kemper's DSP

• Main reason for wanting this i due to the boot time, played a show with my band a while ago and the other guitarist's Kemper cut out in the last chorus of our last song haha! Never happened before so can only put it down to dodgy power source, however the fact it took 40-60 seconds to load meant that by the time it booted up, we were done. I love my kemper to bits and would never consider selling it, but this always plays in the back of my mind now. There's no need to create an entirely new Kemper, but an upgrade to the DSP for current and future owners would be wonderful.

• An Uninterruptible power supply will prevent that problem.

this will present a whole new set of problems , because ups typically are electrically noisy , and dont produce very good clean sine wave power so good luck running guitar equipment with it without all kinds of high frequency hissing and noise.

• ups typically are electrically noisy , and dont produce very good clean sine wave power

Yes. Good ones (filtered, sinusoidal and the like) cost a lot more than those you typically buy for a computer.

A more affordable solution might be a cheap UPS feeding a filter/stabilizer.

• It costs more but if you want a good UPS ... get an "online/double conversion" model. This means the unit is always feeding current from its batteries. Very pure power. Pretty sure all the major UPS manufacturers make them. You'll never have to worry about a power sag, brown out or outage again!

• Yes. Good ones (filtered, sinusoidal and the like) cost a lot more than those you typically buy for a computer.

A more affordable solution might be a cheap UPS feeding a filter/stabilizer.

This is definitely the way to go if you want to keep costs down and in reality, it'll work as well as a more expensive UPS. A UPS and a power conditioner are all you require for smooth power supply.

• It costs more but if you want a good UPS ... get an "online/double conversion" model. This means the unit is always feeding current from its batteries. Very pure power. Pretty sure all the major UPS manufacturers make them. You'll never have to worry about a power sag, brown out or outage again!

Well, those are way more expensive tho!

:)

• In terms of tubes warming up, sure it may take them that amount of time to become fully active, but you're talking 10 seconds for it to turn on and get up to the set volume, hence my request. Just now I've got barely 50 rigs on the kemper and still it is about 30-40 seconds, that's literally the only complaint I have with it, I'd let go of my toes before I let go of the kemper :D

• I don't think that the number of rigs stored on KPA does have large impact on boot time.
    I just took the measurement of boot time with 0 rigs present on Kemper. All rigs were deleted from RM. The boot time was 46 seconds. With my 68 rigs stored in KPA the boot time is the same: 46 seconds.

Boot time not only means transferring rigs from flash to RAM, but KPA has to load OS, modules, initialize AD/DA converters, initialize display panel and many other tasks.
    As I suspect, KPA is running sort of embedded linux. It runs on ARM CPU @up to 72MHz. I think it runs even slower @57.6MHz.
    I think so slow CPU is the reason for slow bootup. And not DSP. DSP does nothing during boot. DSP processes guitar signal + effects.

This information is only from my research / internet. I would be glad if anyone could confirm this.

Edited 3 times, last by Peto ().

• Talking about USPs again, the non-synusoidal wave should not be a concern if its only purpose is to kick in for a 40 ms mains failure. The UPS won't supply any signal when mains is up.

• IMHO is it not a hardware but software problem.

The KPA could be programmed in a way to boot MUCH faster - maybe it will be fixed in the future.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• IMHO is it not a hardware but software problem.

The KPA could be programmed in a way to boot MUCH faster - maybe it will be fixed in the future.

That's what I guess as well. Probably they're rebuilding the internal rig / performance / preset database each time the Profiler boots up, which is overkill since nothing can change while the device is switched off. :thumbup:

• Yes, and they are wasting a lot of time by encrypting/decrypting the filter parameters from the amp/cab filter ...

... just to avoid Cliff to claim that they are short 14bit IR's ;)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I could agree with the above, but - as a matter of fact - there's a boot time which will always be greater than 0. Unlike a tube amp, which will recover itself instantly after - say - a 4 ms power failure, a computer will always reboot.
    Hence the utility of an UPS IMO, as short as they can make booting time.

:)