G:A:S and Anti G.A.S

• There is GAS and the opposite - I call it anti GAS = a strong wish to get rid of gear :D

I know a guy who has owned so many guitars and amps - and some amps he owned for three or four times :D

The same is true for digital gear - some sell and resell the Kemper / AxeFx once a year.

And there is also a big desire to be only part of "one religion':
    AxeFx or KPA
    Strat or LesPauls
    Guitar cabinet or FRFR
    Only tube amps or only digital

And sometimes I think there is a war between the different kinds of gear ?(

In the time when I bought my first POD - many guitar players sold all their valuable (and great sounding) tube amps - after some time they sold their POD's - and bought tube amps again ...

Then the Vetta, Zentera, AxeFx, AxeFx II, KPA ... again all other gear was sold and bought again

And the Variax was able to replace ALL other real guitars ...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• For me it's been a journey of searching for what I really want.

At first, there was a lot of turnover because I had cheap guitars and crappy gear.

But over time, I've consolidated to what I really like, and gear turnover gets less (and more expensive as I go to higher quality)

I like that the Kemper consolidated my amp gear and it's associated gear. Mostly because the Kemper is NOT a compromise on the quality of the amps it profiles.
    I never saw that coming and it was shockingly unbelievable Jan 2013 when I bought one.

For guitars though, I've tried everything to emulate a Strat, a Tele and an LP, and nothing comes close except the real thing for me.
    Not that a guitar, like the Variax, won't one day be able to profile and emulate them. But currently, it's not there enough for me.
    A Strat doesn't play like an LP or Axis Sport because physically they are entirely different, and one Variax cannot be like all three of them.

While no amount of digital alchemy can fix that, I'm sure it's something I could get used to, if the sound was 100% right.

As it stands, there is no Kemper for Guitar tones. Yet....

I must say, I am intrigued by the concept of the Slate Microphone system, and am waiting on release and reviews for about a year before considering it. My issue with Slate is their plugins are quite subtle and I don't know if I'm able to take advantage of that with my troglodyte abilities. But I do know a good Mic when I record with one!

• But for how long....once something else comes out, are many of us going to jump ship?
    A very large number of us will have changed our gear (specifically amp, modeller, etc.) in the next 3 -5 years minimum.
    What always worried me with a product that has that computer basis such as the axe or kemper....will this become like an old computer in a few years? That is...if something goes wrong with it, fixing it would be more expensive than buying a new one?

This is pretty much the same for everything these days......however, there are still lots of great old working tube amps out there. My friend still gigs with his 20 year old JCM800 combo. He's had to service it a couple of times through the years but it still sounds great and sounds the same.

There are just so many great things in this box that makes me hope that it keeps on going. Kemper will have to come out at some point with a new unit with more processing power to keep ahead of the industry as they are leading the pack at this point.

• In 5 years you do all this with your Phone, Pad, Watch, Glass or whatever - Kemper either jumps on an iOS version or others will do this.
    BIAS is quite good today - and in 5 years 8|

For me is both a totally different thing - digital gear and fully analogue gear - both is fun!

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de