Keyboard sounds - stupid question

• I'd like to get a variety of keyboard / synth sounds from my KPA.....for example the synth sound from Van Halen's 1984. I've listened to all of the profiles by PaulTS for example - lots of weird and wonderful stuff.....very clever.....some more weird....some more wonderful....but none really what I'm looking for.

Looking out how you hook up an amp to profile basically you need the sound you want between the direct out/send of the KPA and the return input.

First question - I assume the KPA requires the guitar played through the input so that it can compare the input audio with what comes back to the return input? That one is really important to know.

Second - I assume the only limitation on putting a synth in the chain between the direct out and the return input is the analogue to digital conversion?

So if I could find a way to do that, I could reproduce any keyboard/synth sound I wanted?

In fact my keyboard player only uses his keyboards as midi controllers, all the sounds are in his mac.....

Now a midi equipped guitar outputs midi and that's no good as analogue is needed for the KPA input.

So you brainy people.......how do I achieve the analogue midi conversion I need?

Cheers,
    Andy

• The KPA can profile without a guitar - it makes it's own sound. You use the guitar after that point, to further refine the profile, but as I understand it, this step can be skipped. But you have bigger problems :)

Re. analogue to digital conversion: Analogue to digital conversion MIGHT be a problem if the latency is too high, I don't know. But I hear people have succesfully (against the odds, as I understand) profiled amp plugins.

You need to understand a thing about midi - it has no sound, anymore than HTML code has a sound. Maybe a better analogy would be that the midi is an mp3 playlist, while a midi INSTRUMENT is the actual mp3s.
    While you may be able to get midi from audio, there's no way the midi file would represent the actual sound in any way other than maybe pitch. And that is of no help here.

Maybe there is a guitar pedal or plugin, that obtains the synth sounds through other means than midi, then you might have a chance.

• First question - I assume the KPA requires the guitar played through the input so that it can compare the input audio with what comes back to the return input? That one is really important to know.

Nope. When you profile, the Kemper is running out to your amp's input and then the mic signal is coming back to the Kemper's return. Your guitar is only involved for refining the profile.

Second - I assume the only limitation on putting a synth in the chain between the direct out and the return input is the analogue to digital conversion?

Now a midi equipped guitar outputs midi and that's no good as analogue is needed for the KPA input.

So you brainy people.......how do I achieve the analogue midi conversion I need?

You can't do this with the Kemper, since it (currently) has no ability to send MIDI notes out. You can either try to get your synth sound with the Kemper's internal effects, or use the effect loop to run your signal into something else before hitting the synth - stuff like this, for example: http://www.musiciansfriend.com…-guitar-to-midi-converter (I have no idea if it's any good, just using it as an example)
    However, the downside to most guitar-MIDI converters is that they'll only work if you play one note at a time. No chords. There are a couple of newer computer apps that can do polyphonic signals, like Jam Origin, but then you need a laptop in your rig and have to deal with some extra latency.

Your best bet in this situation is a good MIDI pickup, like the Roland GK series. I'm planning to get a Fishman Tripleplay in the near future, but that one needs a computer so it might not be too useful for you in a live setting.

• So, I'm wondering about the notes that the KPA generates......are they single notes? Because if so, they'd go into a analogue to midi converter which could then go through the mac to produce the analogue sounds to go back to the KPA....either directly or via an amp.

Once the Kemper has profiled the sounds that are returned to the KPA during the profiling process, I assume chords would be fine in just the same way as any other profile is....

I've asked my keyboard player who is also a BBC engineer about the analogue to midi thing :)

• You can't do this with the Kemper, since it (currently) has no ability to send MIDI notes out. You can either try to get your synth sound with the Kemper's internal effects, or use the effect loop to run your signal into something else before hitting the synth - stuff like this, for example: http://www.musiciansfriend.com…-guitar-to-midi-converter (I have no idea if it's any good, just using it as an example)
    However, the downside to most guitar-MIDI converters is that they'll only work if you play one note at a time. No chords. There are a couple of newer computer apps that can do polyphonic signals, like Jam Origin, but then you need a laptop in your rig and have to deal with some extra latency.

Your best bet in this situation is a good MIDI pickup, like the Roland GK series. I'm planning to get a Fishman Tripleplay in the near future, but that one needs a computer so it might not be too useful for you in a live setting.

That device can convert guitar signals into midi. But I don't think it can convert Kemper signals into a midi in any way, shape or form that would make sense to a synth or synth plugin :)

• So, I'm wondering about the notes that the KPA generates......are they single notes? Because if so, they'd go into a analogue to midi converter which could then go through the mac to produce the analogue sounds to go back to the KPA....either directly or via an amp.

Once the Kemper has profiled the sounds that are returned to the KPA during the profiling process, I assume chords would be fine in just the same way as any other profile is....

I've asked my keyboard player who is also a BBC engineer about the analogue to midi thing :)

They are not single notes, no :) they are horrible alien abduction sounds. Look it up on youtube, there you can hear how it sounds.

• I've tried the profiles....won't do what I want..... Apparently the synth-o-matic on the M13 sounds great.....just need someone to do some profiles with it now :)

sorefingers -
    "Synths and a Vocoder

I use a Line 6 M13 with mine and couldn't be happier. The Kemper has all of the meat and potatoes effects anyone could want, but the m13 (and I imagine the HD500) really excels at the oddball stuff like vocoder and synth sounds. I was goofing around last night, and nailed the synth intro to Europe's "Final Countdown" with the Kemper Roland JC120 profile and the Synth-o-matic pedal on the M13. Not my proudest moment, but fun as hell. Smart Harmony is a blast, too."