kemper through roland ac 33

• Hello,

I've got a roland ac33 (acoustic guitar amplifier). I often use this amp with my yamaha silent guitar. Can I use this amp to amplify a kemper amp with good results.
    I believe the ac 33 has full range speakers so they should not color the sound too much. Will be used in appartement so level will not be too loud also.
    If I'm not mistaken I read in the past some tesimonials of guitarist who used the amp as monitor with Native Instruments guitar rig with good results.

Nevertheless I'm interested in your thoughts. (Budget is a little thight so if I can use the ac 33 and I don't have to buy new monitors I can buy my kemper sooner !)

Kind regards,

Denis

• I don't know much about the roland ac33, but I don't see any send/return to effects, hence you'd have to pass the output of the Kemper through the preamp section of the Roland, and that'd color the sound quite a bit.

• @ lAIMON : the Roland ac 33 is a solid state ACOUSTIC amp . So I think it's normal not to have an effects loop. I has an auxiliary input though.

The way I would run this : Kemper into mixer, mixer to aux input of roland.

Also in my understanding acoustic amps are more like pa's : they're designed to be "neutral" (hence the full range speakers).

Or am I missing something ?

• You're right about amps for acoustic guitars should generally be suitable to amplify the profiler just fine.
    What that means in reality remains to be seen. I once tried the profiler through an expensive AER and didn't like the result at all.
    I think I didn't like the speaker in there.

• @ Mattt66. That is very good news for me. Thanks for your Message.

viabcroce : mixer because i have also a tascam mp3 player that i use with backing tracks and also tc helicon voicelive play with vocal effects when i (try to ) sing along . All these sources go to the roland ac 33 or headphones.

Greetings,

Denis

• I used an AER Cube 60 before when I got the Kemper new and didn't have an active speaker yet. For me it lacked the lowend and somewhat slightly brittle but it did the job for a while. Maybe your AC30 will behave differently but try it and share what you found. Maybe it has color switch like the AER or any coloring switch or effect kindly turn them off before you play to keep the amp neutral. It's just my opinion but I think to get the full potential of KPA you need a good FRFR powered speaker and you really need to spend time and effort to search for a good one before you buy. Also if you have a good computer speaker at home or from a friend or stereo sound system try it out to increase your sound awareness (just don't play too loud so as not to damage the speaker, just enough to hear the sound details :) Ultimately you will settle for what you think will be the best next move for you.

• @ Pentatonic : I don't own a Kemper yet but yesterday I did a test with my boss eband. This is a modeller that uses the (simplified) "engine" of a boss gt 10.
    I ran the lineout of the boss e band into the aux in of the roland ac 33. Roland ac 33 was at a bedroom volume. I compared the tone with the tone through my headphones (AKG studio headphones) and I must say the roland ac 33 indeed did a good job.
    Be aware that I did not use the guitar "channel" of the roland ac 33 which might be less neutral. Also I did not raise the volume and used a bluesy tone ( deluxe with boost) not a high gain tone.
    Within these limitations the tEst was quite satisfactory but maybe with higher distortion and at a higher volume this is a different story. Also with I high end modeller like a kemper maybe the roland ac 33 might loose some details which aren't there anyway in the boss e band. That remains to be seen.....

So I guess I could try this configuration with the kemper for a while and maybe after some time I might consider to by monitors. Is the KRK RP 5 series any good with the kemper ?

Denis

• viabcroce : mixer because i have also a tascam mp3 player that i use with backing tracks and also tc helicon voicelive play with vocal effects when i (try to ) sing along . All these sources go to the roland ac 33 or headphones.

I see :)
    Are you aware you can use your player with the Profiler alone? It might be practical when youdon't sing. Feel free to refer to the wiKPA for getting to know more on the matter.

As for the roland's guitar input, I don't think it would be less linear than the Aux input. But good chances are the latter accepts a more robust signal, making for an overall better sounding rig.

:)

• Well, I have been using my kemper with the Roland ac 33 for a few days and I must say I'm very pleased with wat I'm hearing.
    The Kemper sounds very good through the roland acoustic amplifier, also for the more distorted sounds ( eg. Marshall Plexi profile that is included with the kemper).

Connection I made : Kemper to Mixer (Allen and Heath), mixer to aux in from Roland Ac 33.
    I only play at (appartement) bedroom levels. ( Maybe the results are not satisfactory at higher volume levels, that I don't know)
    I have the Kemper on a shelf right in front of my head . This way I experience a nice "sound pressure" when I'm playing but this "loudness" seems to be very local. This may be caused by the "shape of my bedroom and the placement of the roland and furniture round the roland but is very positive for me. I have the experience of playing at "stadium" levels but I don't disturb the neighbours at all !!

At the moment I don't feel the need to buy a monitor or dedicated frfr speakers for my kemper.

Greetings,

Denis