Matrix Neolight NL 12 or NL 212 with Kemper Power-rack or Powerhead

• Hello,

since I didn't get answer from Matrix I will try to ask here. Have anyone here tried Matrix NL12 or NL212 with powered Kemper? I know that Kemper's poweramp is too powerfull for NL 12 which is rated at 60W (120W peak) and even NL212 isn't powerfull enough. Hell - nearly all standard brand 4x12 guitar cabs are rated less than 300W at 16 Ohm. And I know that I shouldn't be connecting any speaker that is rated at less power than the amp, but some bass players have done this without any problem, they just were careful about not to put all the power the amp had to the speaker (running the master volume all the way or past the half or something). Has anyone tried powered Kemper with these cabs to some success?

Thanks

• I can't say anything about them sonically, but from a power-management POV you'll just need to be careful with volume. A dimed power amp won't sound any lower than a smaller power amp pumped up, if this makes any sense :)

PS: I'm confident 300 W/16 ohm is safe for most applications :)

• Here is a message I got from them last year :

"Our NL212 is *not* a full range, flat response 2x12. it is a guitar cab, with an extended frequency response. It has good bass response, light weight, extended treble, it can sound fine with cab sims off. It will also do better than a standard cab with cab sims on.
    If you want a full range, flat repsonse 2x12, we will be releasing our FR212 later this week."

• Here is a message I got from them last year :

"Our NL212 is *not* a full range, flat response 2x12. it is a guitar cab, with an extended frequency response. It has good bass response, light weight, extended treble, it can sound fine with cab sims off. It will also do better than a standard cab with cab sims on.
    If you want a full range, flat repsonse 2x12, we will be releasing our FR212 later this week."

Hello,

thanks. I'm aware of the FR212 - but it is considerably heavier than Neolight cabs :S And I need something light so my choice would be the Neolight but I don't want to break them with the powered Kemper.

• I would prioritise quality of sound output above weight. You're unlikely to realise the full potential of the profiler's remarkable ability to replicate tube amplifier tone with the Neolights. But you're right, there aren't many cabs that can handle the 600 watt output of the Kemper power amplifier, so you'll have to exercise caution no matter what solution you decide to spring for.

• I would prioritise quality of sound output above weight. You're unlikely to realise the full potential of the profiler's remarkable ability to replicate tube amplifier tone with the Neolights. But you're right, there aren't many cabs that can handle the 600 watt output of the Kemper power amplifier, so you'll have to exercise caution no matter what solution you decide to spring for.

Hello,

yes, the FR212 seems like a better choice in terms of Kemper full potential and also its 23kg are not that extreme. The trouble is that it only comes at 4 Ohms as I read on the Matrix website. That would leave me last (known to me) option which is DV Mark 4x12 cab. But it is as heavy as FR212 (pretty light for 4x12) and can handle all 600W that powered Kemper can put out. But it is not as I thought would be the best portable and wide sweetspot (not directional) solution. Any alternatives?

• I'm pretty confident they can rewire it in series... Ask them, IIRC it has already be done.

Anyway...what about a passive CLR? 8)
    The "cab" version is not too dissimilar from a regular cab... :whistling:

• IIRC

Hello,

thanks, the CLR seems to "fit the bill" in terms of power and it's slightly lighter than the FR212 and it has pretty wide dispersion angles - but unfortunately still not as ridiculously light as NL12. Also, on the website they offer the 8 Ohm only and safe rating for it is 500W at the most. Chmmm :huh:

What has also came to my mind would be FRFR coax speaker like for example this one: http://www.bcspeakers.com/products/coaxial/12-0/12cxn76 And then puting it inside something like this: http://www.tt-cabs.com/engl/?C…ure_Series/TTC_112_REX_M5

I think that the parameters of the speaker are nice, sensitivity is good, weight is 5kg, good dispersion angles.
    And the cab was developed to have very flat response - weighing around 11kg unloaded - that is 16kg in total with the mentioned speaker.

What do you think about that - would it work good? Or are these semi-homemade solutions doomed to failiure?

• Building an FRFR cabinet sounds good, but in practice could be really difficult to get right. There's a reason those things cost an arm and a leg.

I really think the last factor in your purchase decision should be the output of the Kemper. I believe that if you start out low and find the maximum output that can be safely handled by whatever option you choose, it's pretty much set and forget. You just need to be careful and once you've found the maximum safe level, make sure you do not cross it.

I will tell you this though, I think there are plenty of people who are able to gig with a non-powered Kemper and a monitoring solution like a CLR or a Yamaha DXR10 on stage without any difficulty in hearing themselves. I'm not so sure what the maximum output rating on those solutions is, but I'm pretty sure you can match it using your power rack and a decent cabinet. There's no need to match the Kemper's output potential. Your main goal is to be heard.

So like I said, find something with a suitable ohm rating and imo, FRFR. Then find out the maximum output on the Kemper to utilise the full potential. Once you've set it, manipulate volume thereafter using the master volume knob on the Kemper, rather than the level control for the output going to the speaker. You should be golden.

• @ cool21: There's also a new neo-version of the CLR, which is lighter but more expensive. This version can't be found on the homepage, so I think you have to ask per eMail.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• @ cool21: There's also a new neo-version of the CLR, which is lighter but more expensive. This version can't be found on the homepage, so I think you have to ask per eMail.

Hello,

so I asked by email and the response was as follows:

"The only model we offer a NEO version of is the Active Wedge. We currently don't offer an Active Cab or either version of the Passive as NEO at the moment. This may change in the future but there are no specific plans at the moment."

• So do you think I should go with the Neolight NL 12 even though it's only 60W? And as I looked on the back of PowerRack/Powerhead it has only one powered out - what if I want to hook up two NL 12? How do I do that? There is only one combo jack/speakon connector on the back of the NL12. ?(

• 60 W?!? O.o

No way IMO, man... :/

Anyway, what matters in terms of stage volume is the cab sensitivity times the amp's output voltage. IOW, look for dBs rather than wattage. If the loudspeakers have got a high sensitivity, the same output ("power") will produce a louder signal.

The passive CLR exhibits 100 dB @ 1 W @ 1 m, and can be driven by a 500 W/8 ohm power amp. The specifics are quite close to the Kemper power amp's ones.
    You might have a wedge (much more versatile) or a cab (much more "guitar-ish" LOL), with unsurpassed clearness and sound quality.
    Just a though :)

• I have both the NL12 & NL212 (bought just before nursery fees really started to bite!).

Very happy with both - they do give you the feeling of playing with a proper cab whilst being incredibly light weight. I acknowledge that I'm missing a big part of the Kemper by not utililising the cab section - but I'm too happy with my setup to be bothered by those thoughts!

• I have both the NL12 & NL212 (bought just before nursery fees really started to bite!).

Very happy with both - they do give you the feeling of playing with a proper cab whilst being incredibly light weight. I acknowledge that I'm missing a big part of the Kemper by not utililising the cab section - but I'm too happy with my setup to be bothered by those thoughts!

Hi,

thanks. And do you use them with the powered Kemper (600W@8Ohms/300@16Ohms)? How do you know where is their limit so you don't blow them up?

Thanks

And do you use them with the powered Kemper (600W@8Ohms/300@16Ohms)? How do you know where is their limit so you don't blow them up?

I'm considering the Matrix NL12 and I have the same question. Anyone?