Monitor Output Volume into Atomic CLR

• hey Gang,
    I hope someone can clear this up, i'm sure it's a very easy question.

I'm running the Monitor Output of my Kemper into my Atomic CLR.

Should i have the Monitor Output Volume all the way up and then adjust the listening level in the room from the CLR

Or should i run it lower than Full Tilt on the kemper and make up the gain on the CLR.

Just want to make sure i'm not damaging the output by running it at full volume.

Thanks,
    Cris...

• IIRC, this was Tom King's (owner of Atomic) advice: Its okay to max out your CLRs inputs. Then slowly increase your Monitor Out volume until you get to your target level.

• Thanks yeh i've seen that post about the input volume on the CLR i'm more wondering about the output volume on the Monitor out of the kemper.

Right now i have the Monitor Out and the Main Volume up full tilt and set my levels on the CLR with that incoming level.

Is this the correct thinking or should i back the Kemper Output off and increase the input sensitivity on the CLR.

Am i making any sense i've been known to not ;)

Thanks
    Cris..

• I own a pair of CLR Actives. I find the quietest way to run them is with the CLR inputs maxed. The Kemper has tremendous variable gain on all its outputs and I've tested my setup using the XLR Master outs at many levels all the way up to full KPA output. The CLRs handled everything I threw at them. So, crank 'em up, you'll be fine. :D

To put it another way, start with the KPA lower than the CLRs. Adjust to taste.

Edited once, last by MLScola ().

• This. Max the CLR's input out to just becore the input LED blinks.

Actually, when you turn the Profiler's output down a light degradation is unavoidable (the DSP's S/N ratio gets a little worse), the best theoretical quality is achieved when you use the CLR's Master knob to lower volume down.
    What Ingolf described is nevertheless the most practical way to manage levels :)

• Hey Gianfranco,
    I'm standing by what I said about maxing out the CLR inputs as a best practice. I base this on a conversation I had with Tom King. After I purchased my CLRs, I called him and we talked about input sensitivity and those LED lights. Here's the gist of Tom's reply:

He said those LEDs were causing undue concern for most users and that he was considering removing them from future versions. He also said the design of the CLR input allows it to handle a wide range of levels and it would be hard to overload it. He concluded with the statement that it's fine to max out the inputs especially if you're going for higher volume.

For me this setup results in less noise with my KPA.

• Thanks gang for all the replies, what i've learned is everyone has a different process haha...

I'll try all of your recommendations and see what works best for my situation. I'm just using this in my home studio and it sounds lovely as it is currently, i just wanted to make sure i was going down the right path and not harming the kemper by running it at full output all the time or introducing any unnecessary noise into the signal chain.

Thanks again.

Cris...

• Hey Gianfranco,
    I'm standing by what I said about maxing out the CLR inputs as a best practice. I base this on a conversation I had with Tom King. After I purchased my CLRs, I called him and we talked about input sensitivity and those LED lights. Here's the gist of Tom's reply:

He said those LEDs were causing undue concern for most users and that he was considering removing them from future versions. He also said the design of the CLR input allows it to handle a wide range of levels and it would be hard to overload it. He concluded with the statement that it's fine to max out the inputs especially if you're going for higher volume.

For me this setup results in less noise with my KPA.

Ciao :)

Agreed about the S/N being better with a more robust input signal. CLR's power amp in not actually "silent" LOL

I remember Mr. Mitchell talking about the LED issue on TGP, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the output LED.
    OTOH, the opportunity to not saturate the input stage is well described in the manual, and Mr. Mitchell himself has pointed this out in several occasions.

Just out of curiosity, how's the status of the input LED on your CLR under normal use?

:)

• Funny you should ask. I stopped looking at the LED because I rarely ever push it hard anymore. As it turns out I really can't take much of volumes over 100db. 95db is about it for me. I know this from spending time measuring playing levels at my position. Guess I'm getting old. :)

• Hey Ingolf,
    You're absolutely right about steadily playing at 95 db. These days those are mostly brief peaks. The only time I hit 100 is for very short tone checks for too much brightness, balancing low end, checking clarity, etc.

Now playing onstage is a different matter, especially if you're standing next to your drummer!