EQ versus Boost

• Hi Gang! Could someone explain to me why many profiles have post-stack flat EQ's with a bit of volume boost? Wouldn't a post-stack pure booster do the same or better? What are the pros-cons of each, or is placed there for a different reason?

Thanks in advance! :)

Gary ô¿ô

• Only if one uses the EQ capabilities... another question for you viabcroce, or anyone else: several profiles I've tried out had Wah Wah in 2 or 3 stomp positions at the same time, some post-stack. Is there any logical reason for this? I would naturally think you'd always want it in Stomp A only. Just wondering...

Gary ô¿ô

• Only if one uses the EQ capabilities... another question for you viabcroce, or anyone else: several profiles I've tried out had Wah Wah in 2 or 3 stomp positions at the same time, some post-stack. Is there any logical reason for this? I would naturally think you'd always want it in Stomp A only. Just wondering...

You're right and that's what I do as well: Wah in stomp A.

Everything else is redundant and not practical.

Let's say that if you decide to try and boost or lower some freqs you're not going to waste another slot:)

As for the wah, IIRC I've not come across any of these profiles. But, if you use a dirty profile, putting the wah before or after the distortion generation can have interesting differences. More or less like placing an EQ pre- or post-amps. In the first case you are going to add harmonic content to a signal which is basically varying in EQ; in the second case the wah acts on the distorted spectrum, and we can say that the wah action is preserved entirely.

Another reason why I could see that a post-amp wah makes sense is that you're using all the stomps and you want for example to "wah" all the voices generated by a harmonizer as well as the main signal rather than harmonizing a wha signal.
    Another typical use is in conjunction with a compressor. If a wah stomp is set to be driven by the signal level, putting a compressor before or after the wah can drastically change the way the latter works. Switching the comp on/off when it's placed before the wah can lead to interesting variations, specially if the fx sensitivity (wah) is high.

You know, such complex and versatile devices invite to experimenting, and these are just examples of interesting things to try.

HTH

:)

• Very sagely wisdom, Viabcroce! :rolleyes: Thanks for your perspective. Sounds quite time consuming, but I understand the applications better now at least. Ingolf - I like your practicality, more my style!! Thanks to both of you as always. :thumbup:

Gary ô¿ô

• Very sagely wisdom, Viabcroce! :rolleyes: Thanks for your perspective. Sounds quite time consuming, but I understand the applications better now at least. :thumbup:

Ha! While I'm not really the kind of the scientist, I like to spend some time in the "let's see what happens if I just tweak this knob" realm.
    I would not suggest this an a systematic approach tho, and I am most of the time a "plug, find a beautiful sound and play" person. I guess it has to do with a childish "let's re-asseble the broken clock in a different way and see what it does" spirit

Have fun, it's what matters most

:thumbup:

• My house is in stage of reconstruction after a nasty water leak ruined 4 rooms (NO, NOT the music studio!!), so trying your ideas out has been put on temporary hold. I will fiddle a bit, but since I discovered ACY's latest Some Marshall profiles - I'll be hard pressed to do more than just feast in their beautiful tones til late in the night!

Gary ô¿ô