Why does it sound sharp and harsh

• I don't think the problem is clipping. I lower the volume to have enough headroom. I was just wondering why I had to lower the volume for every single profile when hooked to Cubase and playing through Cubase. I guess it is Cubase that's sensitive? But as I said, I lower enough to not have any clipping and still have the same problem. I know what clipping is and how it works and it has nothing to do with the problem of the profiles sounding harsh.

I will look into the "clean sense" setting. I guess I expected the Kemper to work as it should right out of the box. I never touched any clean sense setting that I know if. But you're telling me I need to tweak the Kemper before it will work optimal and that this could be the problem to why the profiles sound harsh?

It would be interesting to compare a recording of my own amp just to see if it sounds harsh too. I think I will try that. Then I will have more experience on what a real recorded amp sounds like as compared to just jamming live.

There's no reason for Cubase to be more sensitive and clip if the Kemper is not clipping. Unless you are gain-staging it, running it into another preamp so that the signal clips. Does that make sense to you? ^^

Clipping will definitely make your sounds harsh and brittle. There's also no reason to lower volume on every profile if they're too loud. Just turn down the master volume, or alternatively, lower the output from the output section.

I strongly suggest you read the manual. If you've been using the Profiler since November 2013 without knowing what Clean Sense is, I don't think there's any point having further discussion about why things sound the way they do. Then maybe post in the private section for troubleshooting where there will be more users to help you figure out where you're going wrong. ^^

• Just did a test recording my own little combo with a SM57 and it sounds just as harsh, so I guess what I was hearing was the real deal all along. I guess the warmth that I hear on the radio and other mixes must come from a lot of tweaking, mixing and choosing the right settings/amp for the right part (solo, etc).

• ...I just looked into the clean sense setting by pressing "input". Everything is set to 0dB. When I change the parameters, I don't hear or see any difference when playing a profile. I read the manual but I don't really see what I wo uld have to do or why.

Well, if you don't hear a difference, something is wrong! If you can exclude your ears it must be the Kemper. ;)
    Choose a reaaally really clean rig and lower clean sens. You should get a volume drop and see the output led change.

• Also, it would be great if you would get off your high horse of being a recording expert and tell us what you're monitoring on. The comment about things sounding the same on computer speakers and headphones was not helpful.

Am I on a high horse? How is that? Where did I say I'm a recording expert? I'm sorry, but you are being rude and actually maybe you should get off your high horse yourself. But thank you for trying.

• Well, if you don't hear a difference, something is wrong! If you can exclude your ears it must be the Kemper. ;)
    Choose a reaaally really clean rig and lower clean sens. You should get a volume drop and see the output led change.

Yeah I hear/see it now, but it's not really making any different and my output is not clipping. As I mentioned I understand now that this is what miced amps sound like at high volumes. Never really had a change to play/record much with real amps. Only VST and very small combos at bedroom volume playing live.

I wonder though why I have to lower the volume for all the profiles to not get clipping in Cubase. Probably a setting on my sound card or in Cubase. Either that or I will have to lower main output on the Kemper. Just have to read through the bible to find it lol.

• Just did a test recording my own little combo with a SM57 and it sounds just as harsh, so I guess what I was hearing was the real deal all along. I guess the warmth that I hear on the radio and other mixes must come from a lot of tweaking, mixing and choosing the right settings/amp for the right part (solo, etc).

No, it doesn't come form mixing but your listening perspective. See my post about the microphones and their positioning above.
    This is the only reason why you hear what you hear.

• Here is a clip. Tell if if this sounds "normal" for a setup like this? Most of you probably have much more experience with playing and recording of real amps than I do.

Guitar: Fender Stratocaster, single coil, bridge position.
    Kemper: Till's JVM 2 Mics 2 (JVM Orange OD1 + Mars 1960)
    Kemper -> Cubase

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5r62xympjk0miwi/test.mp3?dl=0

I'd say this is a perfect example of a well-microphoned amp and nearly mix- ready.
    Sounds great and will be even greater once you add drums, bass, another guitar and vocals.
    In summary: This is pretty much how guitars sound when you isolate them from a mix.

• Thank you Ingolf. I love the sound too, so I don't really know what I'm going on about. I wish you could just delete this thread lol.

No need to be embarassed LOL. ;)
    Let's say this thread is a fine example of how one has to get used to the sound of close- miked amps.

• I'd say this is a perfect example of a well-microphoned amp and nearly mix- ready.
    Sounds great and will be even greater once you add drums, bass, another guitar and vocals.
    In summary: This is pretty much how guitars sound when you isolate them from a mix.

It's funny, most people (and most guitarists, too!) don't realise that a hell of a lot of the low-end power and chunk that they're perceiving when they listen to guitars on a record is actually coming from the bass guitar!

Cheers,
    Sam

• I don't think it has anything to do with my monitoring. I've been doing music for 20 years so I'm not a newbie. It sounds the same no matter if I listen through my PC speakers or expensive headphones, through my DAW or direct through the Kemper...

nightlight: what is clean sense setting?

This was in response to my earlier post. You were politely asked how you were monitoring by me as well as other people earlier in the thread. We weren't asking you for any other reason than to try and help you troubleshoot, but you just gave this whole spiel about your experience of 20 years. Why even ask for help, that too in the public forums and not private? And then you asked what clean sense was... I don't know if I was rude, but I think people are wasting time on you when you just refuse to cooperate. I've seen it tons of times on lots of forums. The real cool dude. Aka the troll.

Anyway, you now somehow seem to have come to the conclusion that harsh is how the Kemper sounds harsh because this is how you miked up your amp. I'll just say, no, it doesn't sound harsh and request you to kindly RTFM before you play the cool dude on these forums.

Peace. Hope I don't come across as rude, but you seem to have everything figured out :thumbdown:

• It's funny, most people (and most guitarists, too!) don't realise that a hell of a lot of the low-end power and chunk that they're perceiving when they listen to guitars on a record is actually coming from the bass guitar!

Cheers,
    Sam

Absolutely d'accord! ;)
    Bass guitar is a must for real guitar chunk.

• This was in response to my earlier post. You were politely asked how you were monitoring by me as well as other people earlier in the thread. We weren't asking you for any other reason than to try and help you troubleshoot, but you just gave this whole spiel about your experience of 20 years. Why even ask for help, that too in the public forums and not private? And then you asked what clean sense was... I don't know if I was rude, but I think people are wasting time on you when you just refuse to cooperate. I've seen it tons of times on lots of forums. The real cool dude. Aka the troll.

Anyway, you now somehow seem to have come to the conclusion that harsh is how the Kemper sounds harsh because this is how you miked up your amp. I'll just say, no, it doesn't sound harsh and request you to kindly RTFM before you play the cool dude on these forums.

Peace. Hope I don't come across as rude, but you seem to have everything figured out :thumbdown:

To be honest, you just come across as bitter and bored to me, just looking for a debate. You don't even have to help or bother to write here if you think I'm an idiot, right? You are certainly over exaggerating things. I wanted to let people know of my experience because I figured it could be relevant for people to know when trying to help me if I've just picked up a guitar yesterday or if I've been playing for a long time. It has nothing to do about being megalomaniac. I even said way back that it could have to do with me not being experienced with big rigs and recording those kind of amps. If anyone is a troll it might be you sir and I feel as if I am feeding you right now. I'm not here to debate, I'm here to learn and I feel as I did thank's to all the kind people posting here without being rude.

• 1.) It's the input signal in Cubase that hits RED when I play, so I have to lower the volume on the Kemper and then it's fine. I just think it's kind of strange that I would have to do that but I figured the Kemper is a loud beast.
    2.) I'm not too good with technicalties but if you mean the orange button, then yes. I'd have to do that to even hear the guitar, right?
    3. ) If I didn't turn down the volume it would clip in all situations.
    4.) Yes, the Kemper signal to Cubase seem too hot for some reason. If I'm allowed to guess I think it's either Cubase or a soundcard setting if in fact no one else experience this.

• 1.) It's the input signal in Cubase that hits RED when I play, so I have to lower the volume on the Kemper and then it's fine. I just think it's kind of strange that I would have to do that but I figured the Kemper is a loud beast.
    2.) I'm not too good with technicalties but if you mean the orange button, then yes. I'd have to do that to even hear the guitar, right?
    3. ) If I didn't turn down the volume it would clip in all situations.
    4.) Yes, the Kemper signal to Cubase seem too hot for some reason. If I'm allowed to guess I think it's either Cubase or a soundcard setting if in fact no one else experience this.

Input signal - I guess you mean the meter on the TRACK you are recording, right?

No, you shouldn't have to have input monitoring engaged, normally. But it depends - which audio interface do you use? I.e. how is your KPA hooked up to the computer?