Has anyone compared a Yamaha Dsr112 to an Atomic Clr?

• I've tried both, but unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to A/B-test them. My opinion, although subjective, is that the DSR112 probably is closest to the CLR of any speaker I've tested. The CLR is possibly better at close range, while the DSR packs more of a punch in a big room or on a large stage. I recently bought a second-hand DSR PA-rig (DSR112+DSR118W) for smaller events and have since also used the 112s for my KPA. The DSR112 with its 1300W amplifier is overkill as a monitor in most situations, but it does sound really good. Even the loudest of drummers is no match for this speaker.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• There's been some A-B testing with the DSR10 and the CLR, me included, but I don't remember any with the DSR 12. For me I found the DSR10 had a slightly pronounced mid range (which may make it cut through the stage volume mix very well) , but I liked the much more flatter responce of the CLR better.
    What I noticed most with the CLR was that I could hear the subtle differences between Amps(profiles) much more clearly, and that is what sold me. And it gets pretty damn loud, against a drummer.
    But you probably couldn't go wrong with either. Good luck Paul

• There's been some A-B testing with the DSR10 and the CLR

There is no 10" in Yamaha's DSR-range. You've probably tested the DXR10. If you compare the DXR12 to the DSR112 you'll find that the DSR is much more linear than the DXR and thus much closer to the Atomic CLR. The DSR is also much more expensive than the DXR, and it is heavier as the DSR is plywood compared to the rather flimsy plastic in the DXR. The price of a Yamaha DSR112 is close to that of the Atomic CLR so it isn't a unit you buy unless you want a better and more powerful all-round speaker or are concerned about the availability of spares. Getting spares and/or repairs for Atomic products is no walk in the park if you live outside USA.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Yeah. It might be just a warehouse tho, with no laboratory or tools. But it shouldn't be hard to come to an agreement with an already-existing service (say in Ireland) and send them parts.

• Good for the UK.
    No so much for the rest of us compared to the big brands that have multiple service-points in many countries.

Well, my experience is a little different.
    I had a turnaround time for a Presonus StudioLive desk of over a month with a German service center.
    With UPS or DHL you can theoretically have a shipping to the UK in about two days....
    Just saying... ;)

• There's been some A-B testing with the DSR10 and the CLR, me included, but I don't remember any with the DSR 12. For me I found the DSR10 had a slightly pronounced mid range.

Can the mid range frequencys/levels be adjusted down on the Kemper's outputs to make the DXR 10 sound closer to the CLR?

• Well, my experience is a little different.
    I had a turnaround time for a Presonus StudioLive desk of over a month with a German service center.
    With UPS or DHL you can theoretically have a shipping to the UK in about two days....
    Just saying... ;)

This. Receiving my two CLRs was a matter of 3 days and 20 (!) € per cab
    :)

Can the mid range frequencys/levels be adjusted down on the Kemper's outputs to make the DXR 10 sound closer to the CLR?

There are so many differences between the two designs that the difference in amplitude response is just a minor issue.
    The CLR is a ver sophisticated design, which implements a number of never-seen-before characteristics in its price range.

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye"

• There is no 10" in Yamaha's DSR-range. You've probably tested the DXR10. If you compare the DXR12 to the DSR112 you'll find that the DSR is much more linear than the DXR and thus much closer to the Atomic CLR. The DSR is also much more expensive than the DXR, and it is heavier as the DSR is plywood compared to the rather flimsy plastic in the DXR. The price of a Yamaha DSR112 is close to that of the Atomic CLR so it isn't a unit you buy unless you want a better and more powerful all-round speaker or are concerned about the availability of spares. Getting spares and/or repairs for Atomic products is no walk in the park if you live outside USA.

Your right and I'm wrong , It is the DXR 10. Sorry

• Your right and I'm wrong , It is the DXR 10. Sorry

You mean, "you're" right. Bwahahaha 8o

Sorry, I didn't have anymore useful information to add to this post. :wacko:

Would love for a shootout of the DSR112 and the CLR. How about it, Ingolf? Just like your last must-appreciated shoot-out video :thumbup:

Also, noted that in terms of output, the DSR kills a single CLR at 1300 W vs 500 W. You could carry one and be as loud as two. But in weight terms, it is approximately the same as the normal CLR, at 47 pounds vs 44 pounds or so. Interesting. It does have onboard DSP, however, and I wonder if that would be desirable in a monitor.

• You mean, "you're" right. Bwahahaha 8o

Sorry, I didn't have anymore useful information to add to this post. :wacko:

Would love for a shootout of the DSR112 and the CLR. How about it, Ingolf? Just like your last must-appreciated shoot-out video :thumbup:

Thanks, but this is not going to happen... :)

All in all, as good as the DXR10 is (which I still regard very highly), it cannot reach the clarity that the CLR has, even when using output EQ. I tried, believe me.
    Still the DXR10 makes a great system for any stage.

• Also, noted that in terms of output, the DSR kills a single CLR at 1300 W vs 500 W. You could carry one and be as loud as two. But in weight terms, it is approximately the same as the normal CLR, at 47 pounds vs 44 pounds or so. Interesting. It does have onboard DSP, however, and I wonder if that would be desirable in a monitor.

This is by far an oversemplification! Audio systems are not sold by the pound.

What sound reaches the audience and how it arrives are the most important factors.
    Provided that the yamahas' amplitude response is comparable with the AA's (which I'm certain is not), what matters is the SPL, not the wattage.
    Apart from this, I strongly doubt that the yamahas produce double the CLR's SPL with the same distortion figures. Not to mention phase coherence and the diffusion pattern.

These are not moot points, and make for a better device overall. Missing to immediately catch a performance difference in a test doesn't mean anything to me (and it should not as well for anyone), and this is why I do not rely on users' tests when comparing too different things: too many variables to consider, test conditions which can reveal no more that the 1-2 most easily perceivable elements, and above all the difficulty in putting into focus what to actually listen to.

And yes, the DSP can make a world of difference :)

• DXR10 is (which I still regard very highly), it cannot reach the clarity that the CLR has, even when using output EQ. I tried, believe me.

Thanks Ingolf, " I tried" was the answer I was looking for. :) I'm on the CLR waiting list :whistling: ,and I have a DXR10 on the way too. I have needs for both.

• Damn! Good thing english is my language! ,DUH!

• It's mine now :thumbup: