'Amp in the room' mic / cab profiles or distance micing?

• Can anyone recommend any great sounding cabs try with my current favourite batch of profiles? I'd like to try any that have the 'amp in the room' feeling or even distance mic'ed ones..

Have seen a few old threads mention Tyler's cab presets - and a great example of a plexi that had the characteristics I'm gunning for - but couldn't find any to d/load - can anyone help?

Cheers,

-Tonerider

• We had this discussion several times recently.
    General consensus is: Whatever profile you like best, it will always be a profile that is miked, so it cannot be 'in the room' per se.
    If you want 'in the room' sound, play that profile through a real guitar cab that suits the cab that is appropriate for that profile.
    I do this regularly with profiles of the Morgan AC20 through my Vox AC 30.

• Yes, unlike with direct profiles - there is always a mic involved.

The trick is to profile in the same room where the amp is and match both (amp and profile) as close as possible - this takes a lot of time since you can compare the results only after the profile is done.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• A great tone is a great tone, and the ones we enjoy from our favorite guitar players in recordings have gone through mics at some point, still they sound as good as any "in the room" tone I've ever got. So I take a slightly different approach, I try to achieve the "polished" tones like the ones we hear from commercial recordings using factory, RE or commercial profiles as a starting point and applying the tone shaping tools available within the KPA to get the final result. I'm still working on a few points, EQ is particularly difficult to get just right - an art form in itself -, and compensating for volume changes is still a mastering mistery to me, but slowly and steadily I think I'm getting there ;)

• 'd like to try any that have the 'amp in the room' feeling or even distance mic'ed ones..

If you play loud enough through any speaker, the sound will be "amp in the room". I say this as opposed to recording the profiler sound direct into a DAW.

Naturally, the profile would have been created from a miked amp, but with good profiles, I find the role of the microphone is not as important as the sound of the amplifier.

• If you play loud enough through any speaker, the sound will be "amp in the room". I say this as opposed to recording the profiler sound direct into a DAW.

Naturally, the profile would have been created from a miked amp, but with good profiles, I find the role of the microphone is not as important as the sound of the amplifier.

Yes, I feel the same.

• Hahaha, great post :D

On a serious note, getting the AITR feeling is possible with digital devices as well, Mr. Mitchell has explained many times how to get there. As many properly pointed out, a mic colouring the sound will not do the trick.

Disclaimer: by AITR feeling I mean to capture the sound of a specific amp that will sound, in your room, as if the original amp was playing in your room.

Thinking of that as if the room the original amp was placed in would affect how you hear the amp when you play the IR in your room is a logical fallacy: in fact, you get great results only when no room is captured.

HTH